Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2009 14:00

DRAC 5 and IE8 Console Problem?

I've looked through here and couldn't find a reference to this, so here goes:

We are using Windows Server 2008 DataCenter in our Dell 1900 server with DRAC 5.  OMSA installed and all the latest firmware and driver updates.  When acessing the DRAC through consol re-direct, everything works smoothly until we get to the CTL-ALT-DEL screen.  Selecting the File Menu at the top of the screen allows us to click on "Macro", "File", whatever, but does not provide the drop down menu.  This is using IE8 and Native (Active-x) mode, but we can't get it to work with Java, either.  If we use FireFox with Java, we can make it work, but the DRAC 6s in our R710 servers seem to work fine with IE8, so we thought the DRAC 5s should, too.  Are we doing something wrong?

Paul Newman, CIO

Public Service Commission of Wisconsin

3 Posts

January 27th, 2012 09:00

"This website wants to install the following add-on: 'DRAC5 Virtual Media Active-X plugin' from Dell Inc.'. If you trust the website adn teh add-on and want to install it, click here... "

I click the 'Here.." and get the option to: "Install ActiveX Control"

So I select it and then I get booted out of the DRAC login and need to log back on.

Solution:

Tools --> Internet Options --> Security Tab --> select 'Interent' (Zone) --> Custom Level... (Button) -->  Active control and plug-ins --> Automatic prompting for ActiveX Control --> set to Enable.

Cant attach remote media to server via DRAC:

Solution:

Make sure the Virtual Media is set to Auto-Attach.

After upgrading the DRAC firmeware, you cannot login to console.

Solution:

Go to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files and delete all the files. Relogin to DRAC and install new plug in.

Or go to IE - options - programs -> manage plugins -> remove the rac5vm control then revisit the site to reinstall.

We are using Windows Server 2008 DataCenter in our Dell 1900 server with DRAC 5.  OMSA installed and all the latest firmware and driver updates.  When acessing the DRAC through consol re-direct, everything works smoothly until we get to the CTL-ALT-DEL screen.  Selecting the File Menu at the top of the screen allows us to click on "Macro", "File", whatever, but does not provide the drop down menu.  This is using IE8 and Native (Active-x) mode, but we can't get it to work with Java, either.  If we use FireFox with Java, we can make it work, but the DRAC 6s in our R710 servers seem to work fine with IE8, so we thought the DRAC 5s should, too.  Are we doing something wrong?

Solution: IE8 (Tools, Internet Options, Security Tab, Trusted Sites - Sites button, Add IP of each server with https)

10 Posts

February 26th, 2010 06:00

Did you ever figure this out?  We not having the exact same problem, but close.  Have DRAC5, but can't get to the console in IE8 or Firefox.  In IE I've put the site in compatilbility mode, added it to Trusted and Internal sites.  For the Internal Sites, even set the security to low.  Nothing.  Can't upgrade the firmware right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

347 Posts

February 26th, 2010 14:00

need fw 1.51 minimum for IE8.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2010 12:00

have 1.51 but stil no joy

2 Posts

March 4th, 2010 09:00

Well, my solution as actually a combinationof a couple of things - first I had to upgrade all of the DRAC 5 firmware to the 1.51 version.  Then I had to follow the assistance in another part of this forum to finally get it to work - that can be found at: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19315412.aspx.  I had to use the second instance and delete the video viewer and ActiveXviewer files in c:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files.  Oh, and one more thing - I found that with IE8, I had to add each of the DRAC 5 IP's (I have four of them!) to my trusted sites list in IE8 (Tools, Internet Options, Security Tab, Trusted Sites - Sites button, Add) in order for it all to work proeprly consistently.  Other than some video problem on one of the four servers, I'm a happy camper now.....  Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and assistance.....!! 

No Events found!