Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2011 14:00

Resizing system partition with 3rd party software

I am running out of space on my 12 gig system partition.  After some work i got it back up to 1 gig of free space but it won't be long before it will be getting low again.  I have a d: partition   with about 40 gig of free space.  I am running SBS 2003 and if i understand correctly , it offers no utility that will let you resize the system partition.  I have looked at 3rd party software  like EaseUS  that says it can rezise the system partitons by taking free space from another partition and giving to the system partition, even on RAID configurations.

does anyone have experience using 3rd party partitioning software like this ?  does it do what it claims   etc ....     

• 

8.6K Posts

December 19th, 2011 15:00

Traymond61,

What you are trying isn't supported by Dell as it can cause data loss, BUT you can do it. The software you will need is here 

Extpart - www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Now the issue with this is that you can't extend a partition if there is another partition following it.  So you will need to back up the D drive, then delete it, the expand the C: drive with Extpart, then recreate the D and then restore from backup.

(Also it is best to run a cleanup and defrag before extending.)

548 Posts

December 21st, 2011 01:00

I have used EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition which is a Partition Magic alternative. It works like a charm while being very simple to use :) This version is free for non commercial use but other paid for versions exist and are cheaper than Partition Magic.

Being GUI powered, it will allow you to re-size partitions within the OS while seeing representations of the C: partition and the D: partition presumably to the right of C:. To re-size, enter that mode and grab the left side of the D: partition and move it to the right creating free space between the two partitions. This then allows you to grab the right side of the C: partition moving to the right to take that newly created free space. You then apply the changes you have requested, the system reboots performs the changes and all ends well.

Note that with any partitioning operation, it's always a good idea to take a full backup, just in case :emotion-4:

Also note that there are many free linux based partition tools with a slick gui. GParted is just one such tool, see http://gparted.sourceforge.net for more info. Gparted also works a charm and also free for commercial use :emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

December 26th, 2011 19:00

I have used Acronis' Disk Director Home Edition (several different versions over the years), and their Server edition supports doing the resizing like you're wanting to do. Before using any given solution, be sure to have a fully tested backup of your data, just in case. I only ran into an issue one time, but it caused problems with partitions causing me to have to wipe the partitions off the drive in question and restore data to it.

11 Posts

January 1st, 2012 09:00

Hi guys,

Happy New  Year!

There are four programs can address your  issue (based on their website claim):

1. Freeware: Aomei Partition Assistant Lite Edition 

As free Partition Magic alternative, Aomei Partition Assistant Lite Edition brings easy-to-use and the most popular hard disk partition management functions which can meet the needs of most users when administering Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008, Windows Small Business Server 2003, 2008, 2011 and Windows Home Server 2011, supporting MBR disk and GPT disk.

2. Most Expensive: Acronis Disk Director 11 Advanced Server

With $609, it is the most expensive software in this field. Loads of features in the software, but it is not worth for you. After all, you only need extend your server system partition. Will be a good one to keep in the future  I think it is especially designed for advanced administrators.

3. Open Source Software: GParted 

GParted is also free and one of the open-source software. Therefore, you have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change, and improve GParted. I think it is a little complex and many users don't know how to use it.

4. Similar UI with Acronis: EaseUS Partition Master Server Edition 

With $159, it has a similar interface with Acronis but not featured-rich as Acronis. It performs needed hard disk partition maintenance, provides powerful data protection and disaster recovery, and minimizes server downtime to increase the efficiency of Windows-based system administration, including: Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard.

Overall, I will not recommend you which tools you need to choose, it is up to you . 

11 Posts

January 9th, 2012 00:00

never used easus partition master server, but the free version is quite easy to use with a nice interface.

i resized the C drive and merged D drive and E drive, fast and reliable.

but do backup everything before doing anything to the hard drive.

January 11th, 2012 22:00

Yes, to resize partition in Windows SBS 2003, especally for system partition, we could only use the third party software, however most of the third-party software nedd to purchase, but I do not prefer that, I try my best to find some relaiable and free partition software for server OS, list as below:

Partition Assistant Lite Edtition: (This is a new free partition software for Windows Server OS,)

Top Benefits:

• Highlight! Free Partition Manager Software for Windows Server users. No Adware and Toolbar!
  • Resize and move partitions to maximize utilization of server storages for peak performance.
  • Extend NTFS system partition without rebooting to minimize server downtime.
  • Enhanced data protection technique ensures your system and data safe.
  • Support most HDD standards, all hardware RAID and VMware virtual disk partitions.
  • Support Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008, Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows Small Business Server 2003, 2008, 2011.

GPard Open Source:  (This is the one which I used to resize partition on my windows server 2003, and it works well, however as you know the GPard is an open source software, therefore the GUI could not be as well as other partition software.)

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

more infromations please refers to its offical website :

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

EaseUS:

I have also heard that, but their sever edition is not free, you need to payfor 149$. I think It isn't worth it, as you know we do not resize our partition every time, most time we use this kind of software only one times a year.Therefore I do not prefer to purchase it.

I only tested it home edition, that works well.

1 Message

August 7th, 2012 00:00

mike is quite right, i'm agree with his point

1 Message

August 7th, 2012 00:00

I also heard that tool, however it is not free, and cost a lot, I don't think this task worth the prize.  I used GParted which is an OSS software on my Windows 7, in my VMware server os, I manage my partition size with a free partition software, here is an article about this www.partition-magic.org/.../resize-server-partition-free.html

hope it could give you some help. BTW, if you only want to resize partition on Windows Sever OS, I think this tool is enough, because it is free

9 Posts

November 26th, 2013 19:00

You may have little disk memory, you can format your disk to inrcrse your RAM :emotion-1:

If your files are already lost completely, you have no choice but download, some data recovery software, many of them are free, you can use the free software if it can solve your problems, if not you can also search other way to solve your questions.

But you should keep in mind one thing is that don't use the PC or phone.

Because if you use it at once, your files will be lost forever, even if you use some data recovery software.

So please keep in mind. Secondly, you can download some data recovery softwares, some of them are free, such as http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/sd-card-recovery-freeware.htm

5 Posts

December 8th, 2014 00:00

many users may meet the problem,just like me. i will share my tethods with the users who need it. usually there are two methods disk management and third party software.

disk management is a built-in tool in server 2003 which allows you to extend /shrink partition without software. but with this tool, you should know that the extend volume cab be used only when there is unallocated space contigugous behind the partition you need to extend. if you can't satisfy the precondition. you may need third party software.

there are so many software such as easeus, gpatrt, but i wanna share the one that i used-aomei partition assistant server. this software can resize your partition without data loss.

more information:

www.disk-partition.com/.../resize-system-partition-server-2003.html

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 8th, 2014 15:00

Stop spamming the forums.

No Events found!