Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2007 22:00

Raid configuration storage locations

Where is the raid configuration stored? On a machine I used several years ago, the information was stored on the controller and a utility was used to save it to a file and reload it to a replacement controller. Is this still the case or is the configuration now stored on the drives or in their bios?

What I want to do is take the raid drives from one server and move them to another (identical) machine and run from them.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

March 6th, 2007 11:00

It would help if you posted which system and raid controller you're asking about.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

March 6th, 2007 13:00

I haven't  bought the systems yet. I am looking at  PE 2900's with SAS drives. If I need to spend more to get a raid card that will allow me to move disks from one machine to another without losing the configuration, I'll do it.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

March 6th, 2007 14:00

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your response correctly, I should be able to move drives between two identical  PE 2900 machines with the integrated SAS 5/i Integrated controller and boot from them without a problem. Is that correct?

If the above is not correct, what controller/drive combination would I need to accomplish my objective of moving drives from a failed server to a cold backup server and restarting with a minimum delay?

777 Posts

March 6th, 2007 14:00

Hi Axel,

Any of Dell's PERC or CERC offerings will store the RAID configuration on both the drives and the NVRAM on the controller. In your scenario, with identical controllers you should not have any problems.
  The following is for dissimilar controllers: you have some limitations on migration from a PERC system I to a PERC system II or vise versa, the vendor's of these controllers are different, as an example, you could take drives from a PERC 2 (Adaptec) and move them to a PERC 3/DI (Also Adaptec), but not to a PERC 2/DC (AMI/LSI). You also might run into problems going to an older system, for example a PERC 5e/DC to a PERC 4/DC will have problems if the logical drive exceeds 2 TB, and lastly you need to have the same interface, a PERC 5i (SAS/SATU) cannot take drives from a PERC 4/DC (SCSI). Other considerations, if you plan to boot to the drives that you've moved, you might have issues with the drivers. With adaptec controllers you'll need to have the driver version match the controller firmware version.

Dell-GaryS

777 Posts

March 6th, 2007 15:00

Axel,

That is correct, the procedure cannot be done hot plug, but that is the only limitation I can think of, just keep your firmware and drivers at the same level, and you'll be fine.

Dell-GaryS
No Events found!