Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2021 01:00

Upgrading to Win10 invalid key

Hi All,

I have a machine running Windows 7 and have finally got around to upgrading it to Win10.  There are a number of articles online saying that since Nov 2020 the Windows 10 ISO allows you to upgrade your Win 7 installation using the Win 7 key.  This should happen without asking for the key itself.

Unfortunately, when I try this, it asks me for a key. Online it says the Win 7 key will work but I am having no joy.  There appears to be 3 keys on my systems

1. If I go to system in control panel I get one key which has OEM in the middle

2. The sticker on the PC has a different key

3. Using a tool to get the key I get a different key again.

I have tried all 3 and none seem to work.  Looking in Windows 7 it also downloaded an update which then says it will auto activate in 3 days but clicking "activate now" and entering the 3 keys above also fails.

Anyone have any idea how to do this as I have been searching online and have drawn a blank.

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 8th, 2021 13:00

@DELL-Cares  this is a user that has VISTA COA and deactivated windows 7 with no key.

The system is 14 years old and well out of warranty so I fail to see how you could help.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information#

As of January 14, 2020, your computer running Windows 7 will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:

• Technical support for any issues
  • Software updates
  • Security updates or fixes

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

"Whilst this seemed to work OK and I was back top my Windows 7 pro install, it has not put me into a 30 day trial mode and wants me to reactivate the Windows 7 I already had."

30 day trial mode is because you never actually had a legal WIN7 SLP KEY or COA.

Nobody is authorized to sell this anymore because 7 is EOL EOS. OEM Dell 7 wont work either because you dont have win7 SLP KEY in bios.

No IDEA if the vendor below is legit.  Once MS gets hold of this they will make them take it down.  It looks fake to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Window-Professional-64-bit-OEM-DVD/dp/B08NTLXRZ3

A System Locked Pre-installation key, or SLP key, is a product key that does NOT require activation.  however there are no upgrades for xp/vista to windows 10.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

No it was never legally activated and that's why you do not have a valid win7 key. or COA.

Your Only Option at this point is to buy a win10 retail media or OEM windows 10 DVD.

The OEM DVD is $50 cheaper than retail.

There were various hacker tools that reset and rearmed 7 so that it never went out of activation.

Microsoft eventually figured this out and disabled those things via windows update.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 4th, 2021 04:00

20h2 wont take win7 keys

you need an earlier version like 1909 1803 etc

The OEM SLP key cannot be used.

Buy an OEM DVD and install using the I dont have a key option

for home or pro  

Whatever your coa key says choose that version

there is no difference between home and pro dvd $12 they are the same disk. Buy this today. They will soon be gone forever and they are not making more.  The refurbishers program is cancelled and win7 and 8 are EOL EOS GAME OVER.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-installation-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350237

7 coa7 coa

11 Posts

February 4th, 2021 12:00

@speedstep  fantastic thanks for this.  I have a load of software I don't want to lose so want to check I have it right.  So I upgrade to Win10 using the generic key and then assume this won't work properly other than to boot it.  I then activate it with the win7 key I already have on the PC - I got it using one of the free tools which gets your license keys for you. This should then activate it and I am sorted?  Assume my existing Office keys will also allow me to update as needed for Win10 also?

Thanks very much once again

Lee.

11 Posts

@speedstep thanks very much for your reply.  I have tried using the 1803 iso and still it asks for the product key and again the keys don't work.  Is the only option to either buy the OEM cd or buy a new win10 license?  It seems odd given there is widespread info on the web that since back end of 2020 MS have permitted win 7 licenses to be used.

thanks

Lee.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You can use a generic key with 1803 to install but it wont activate.

Once online you can activate using the WIN7 home or PRO  COA KEY

The SLUI 3 command starts that once online.

START RUN admin cmd prompt.  SLUI.EXE 3

You cannot use a home key to activate pro and vice versa.

Windows 10 Edition  Generic Key
Windows 10 Home YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Home N 4CPRK-NM3K3-X6XXQ-RXX86-WXCHW
Windows 10 Home Single Language BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT

Windows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 10 Pro N 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations DXG7C-N36C4-C4HTG-X4T3X-2YV77
Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations WYPNQ-8C467-V2W6J-TX4WX-WT2RQ

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 4th, 2021 13:00

You cannot use the OEM SLP KEY in bios.

OEMs such as Dell use system locked preinstallation (SLP) keys.

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-General-Wiki/Windows-7-SLP-Keys/ta-p/5190724#

existing Office keys 2010 2012 2013 work earlier versions are not supported.

Support for Office 2010 ended on October 13, 2020

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Student-Family-Version/dp/B00337D8U6/

Office 2010 is no longer supported. However, if you still want to install it, you'll need an Office 2010 installation disc and product key for the version you're trying to install.

Because of potential backward compatibility issues the default installed version is 32-bit. However, if the 64-bit version is a better choice, follow the 64-bit installation procedure in this article.

Note: For more information about the 64-bit version, see Choose the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office.

Note: If you bought Office for personal use through your company's Microsoft HUP benefit, you may not be able to sign in here. Find installation help at Install Office through HUP.

You MUST USE the 25 digit product key on its COA which is that systems license sticker.

The generic Key allows clean install not an upgrade

you must transfer your data files and reinstall apps.

You intstall clean on a new blank hard drive

Bios should be set AHCI not RAID

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q/

You get your data from the OLD drive via dock or drive wire

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-FIDECO-Converter-5-25-Inch-DVD-ROM/dp/B077N2KK27

You then must reinstall your Apps.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 5th, 2021 12:00

SLP key is vista.

Not going to work.

You should buy a full OEM DVD with WIN10 COA

Microsoft does its best to confuse users by putting this is not a COA on their OEM stickers. they also make the COA VERY FRAGILE. So you should gently scratch off the grey/silver Microsoft portion with a coin to reveal the full product key. OEM software is not supported by Microsoft. However without breaking my arm to pat myself on the back ... I believe I do a Much better Job than they do and I do it free.

Furthermore you should cover the COA with Clear Scotch tape to protect the numbers from being rubbed off.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/software-packaged?rtc=1

coa.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit/p/N82E16832588491

Its always better to have non infect-able recovery DVD.

Flash drives de trap

Burned disks die over time.

You only need 1 disk.

It can be used to recover with the I dont have a key or generic key for install and does not require you to be online.

I always set up windows 10 with a local account and say no no no no no no no no for cortana and sync and microsoft account etc.

You can boot and run without needing to login to microsoft or get online.

11 Posts

February 5th, 2021 12:00

Hi @speedstep 

Thanks again for a very helpful reply.  Looking closer at the sticker on the PC, it was originally installed with Vista so the key on the sticker must be for Vista (hence why it is different to the one the tool got).  This would imply it was upgraded to Win 7 so does that mean it now has a normal key or is it still using the SLP one?

thanks

Lee.

11 Posts

February 6th, 2021 04:00

Hi @speedstep  

I did some searching in the loft and found an old PC which had a Windows 7 product key on the label. It said it was a Windows 7 Pro OA so hopeful it would work I tried the above.  Windows 10 installed fine (1803) with the Pro generic ID but unfortunately when I tried entering the key I found, I fails with 0xc004f050 error

Any ideas?

thanks again

Lee.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 6th, 2021 08:00

WIN 10 activation error 0xc004f050 is usually has this notification:

An error has occurred
Code: 0xC004F050
Description:Software Licensing Service reported product key is invalid 

Getting this error means that the activation has failed.

Most likely reason is that another machine used that ID to update to 10 and is still in use.

Keys can only be used once.  You cannot use keys over and over again.

A windows key is not on the unit its on the microsoft servers.

with windows 8 and 10 machines the key in bios activates automatically and cannot be used again even if the machine dies because the key is stored on the microsoft servers along with the machine GUID. What is a GUID? A GUID is an acronyom that stands for Globally Unique Identifier.

If you are from Mars or Jupiter you probably have a different ID for your ILLudium Q36 space modulator.

An previously used key will also produce the same result. You should use a valid Windows 10 product key or buy a new one if it has exceeded the allowed number of installations which for OEM is ONE.  MAK Keys are not issued for individual machines. A multiple activation key (MAK) is a software licensing and activation tool that provides one-time activation of a software product via a hosted authentication/activation server. Users dont get these only Volume License users do.

The generic keys allow clean install they do not allow activation.

11 Posts

thanks @speedstep The PC had Windows 7 already installed when I got it so assume that it had been upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 at some point.  It was working fine before so assume it must have been activated correctly at some point?  Was there a free upgrade path from Vista OEM to Windows 7 in the past maybe that they used with the original Vista license?  Assume if it was done with a retail license I wouldn't be in this position?

Thanks again

Lee.

11 Posts

Thanks @speedstep   for your reply.  Whilst trying to sort this issue out, I decided to go back to my original Window 7 install by going to settings -> Update&Security -> recovery -> go back to Windows 7.  Whilst this seemed to work OK and I was back top my Windows 7 pro install, it has not put me into a 30 day trial mode and wants me to reactivate the Windows 7 I already had.

The Windows 10 upgrade was done with the generic key you provided above.

Any idea how to fix this to at least get my Win 7 back up and running please?

@PhilipYip I have also tried the mechanisms you suggest on your website - have left a comment with where I got stuck although it hasn't appeared yet

thanks again
Lee.

• 

25.7K Posts

Hi, I’m your Dell Virtual Assistant. I see you’re looking for technical assistance. If you require our help, you could initiate a private/direct message with us, and we’d be glad to assist you. 

No Events found!