Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2022 17:00

Optiplex Enclosure Size as Technology Advances

Hello Friends

With the Optiplex line designed for 'Business Use' and along with changing times, the enclosures are getting smaller. If one prefers a larger case, (minimizing the battle to fit/adjust component upgrades), then I wonder how other models fit into the picture? PowerEdge, Precision Workstations, Vostro, Inspiron and XPS Desktops? I might be wrong, but some of these appear more expensive? I've preferred slightly older Optiplexes (for their value and versatility). With sufficient memory, even moderate video and audio editing is possible with an Optiplex.

Specifically, does anyone know if the 7050 QUAD Core i7-7700 3.60Ghz is available in anything larger than a Mini Tower? I'm happy with it, (got it for a great price) but its quite smaller than my old 790 Mini Tower. Just curious ...

Thank You

6 Professor

• 

7.7K Posts

April 26th, 2022 20:00

You're welcome!!  : )

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 30th, 2022 22:00

@WWII Researcher 

@KeepCalm 

@bradthetechnut 

The 3620 is as new as you can get without going off the reservation as far as proprietary stuff.

evga 700br

Is bare minimum upgrade and may require 24 pin adapter for specific models from MODDIY.  I say that because we are talking about many precision and optiplex models now where the 390 790 990 3010 7010 9010 can use 24 PIN EPS12V power supply.

You can even move the motherboard to a new BIG case like the NZXT H510 or the Rosewill Challenger Case.

I tend to by the rosewill models now because I like being able to add a fan controller and keep my floppy bays and optical bays etc.

BIG case can also handle 1000w or more power supply and HUGE video cards like the  RTX 3090 OR GTX 1080TI etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fb6-B5Ux_s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115281935907

This is made easy by adapters for fans and power button etc

HarbinRepairs MB Adapters

optiplex 390 3010 3020 front panel adapter

https://store.harbinrepairs.com/index.php/product/dell-5-6-pin-power-button-led-panel-adapter/

Get it on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264638815586

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264638806788

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

@bradthetechnut 

@WWII Researcher 

3620 is the T1700 with newer motherboard.  Uses EXACT SAME  CASE AND POWER SUPPLY and form factor as the T1700 (2012)  ddr3 3RD GEN OR 4TH GEN MODEL but the 3620 (2014) is DDR 4   6TH GEN OR 7TH GEN MODEL.

Despite what others may say models from 2012 forward work fine with windows 10 and windows 11 JUST FINE.

Not supported doesn't mean not working.

A win10 dvd from newegg will install 10 on all dell models from 2006 optiplex GX620 with pentium D 915 or newer all the way thru the newest models today whether laptop or desktop.  The reason to buy the dvd is that it works on all models that work with windows 8.1 64 bit or newer.

usb 2.0  (thats not a typo) optical drive can be used to make universal works on all dells boot for win10.  It also comes with disk burning software and dvd playback software so this one is a no brainer for ALL of your dells.  You can install with the "I don't have a key option for either home or pro and then use windows 7 coa key to activate for the models where it asks for a key.  Newer models from 2012 on will install without asking anything.  Drivers will have to be manually downloaded because older model video and sound etc is legacy now with no DCH drivers EVER forthcoming.  Not supported never means not working.  You just have to own the correct optical drive and have a 10 dvd so that you can reinstall windows forever even after its taken down from online like xp vista 7 8.0 etc are now.  10 goes away in 2025 and when the dvds are gone there will be no new dvds made in the future.  So ISO for 10 and 11 now on an external HARD DRIVE not SSD not Flash drive which lose data by detrapping over time.  Hard drives can retain data for decades being offline with no power.  My last test of this ended years ago with a 170 Megabyte IDE conner hard drive with MSDOS 6.22 and windows for workgroups 3.11 on it that I kept and tested every 10 years for 30 years and have concluded that its fine sitting on a shelf and put into a dock to boot or recover data from even now.  I didnt have to do anything special for the HDD other than keep it power off in a cool dry place.

lg 8x externa usb 2  dvdrw

newegg. windows10 dvd

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

@WWII Researcher 

@bradthetechnut 

@KeepCalm 

"I've never seen Dell incorporate rear sata ports in their machines, (just internally)?"  I haven't seen external SATA ports on a Dell yet either.

This is wrong from Optiplex 755 onward as well as precision and inspiron models from 2007 and later.

3620 is a good buy when LESS THAN $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384799076390

000156076 what is esata article 323077

ESATA has issues described in the above article

OWC-Mercury ESATA Enclosure B009B86B6Y

StarTech-com eSATA Adapter B00MOENVOW

3620WIN8PRO.png

External Sata or ESATA is a very old port. Either built in or handled via slot to motherboard adapter. Since at least as old as 2007.

ESATA.png

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 1st, 2022 00:00

@WWII Researcher 

@KeepCalm 

@bradthetechnut 

Graphics card should be one thats new enough to support 10 and 11 and also support UEFI or Legacy.

Should also not hurt or destroy your power supply regardless of what size Dell you have.

So that Leaves Quadro K620 and Quadro K2200 from dell.

Either card is 40 to 50W max so its fine for your stock power supply

K2200 is for Tower models.  K620  dpn 47KM8 379T0 for tower

low profile K620 Low profile DELL Desktop Model. 

K620 Low Profile Ebay

K620 FH 284754781535

Dell K2200 for TOWER Models

K2200 Full Height

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIol8IWe8o

K2200 vs 750TI.png

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 1st, 2022 02:00

@WWII Researcher 

@KeepCalm 

@bradthetechnut 

A way to get the best of both worlds would be this kit.

Includes Fantom Drives 2.5" USB 3.0 Aluminum enclosure to be used with old drive, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, Compatible with Windows 7, 8, 10 and Mac OS 8, Mac OS X and later, Fantom Drives data storage cloning utility for hard drives and SSD software is compatible with Windows, Mac computers have their own built-in cloning software In their operating System, Fantom Drives data storage cloning utility comes in a USB drive

2TB SSD Upgrade Enclosure and cloning software B07T76LHGP

That way if it turns out you don't see SSD as system drive you can use like a gigantic rugged flash drive.

It solves many issues and gives you a reliable backup.

6 Professor

• 

7.7K Posts

May 1st, 2022 10:00

This is the back panel of a 755 MT.  No eSATA port.

Capture+_2022-05-01-12-48-03.png

Capture+_2022-05-01-12-50-45.png

6 Professor

• 

7.7K Posts

May 1st, 2022 10:00

""I've never seen Dell incorporate rear sata ports in their machines, (just internally)?"  I haven't seen external SATA ports on a Dell yet either.

This is wrong from Optiplex 755..."

It was said "never seen" and "haven't seen."  Not said that it didn't exist.

6 Professor

• 

7.7K Posts

May 1st, 2022 11:00

@speedstep 

You sure about hat, huh.  Lets say you have Win10 on an SSD internally.  So the system may not be discovering it?  Or you have another reason to mount it externally.  If the Win10 SSD is plugged in to a USB port, it won't boot.  It'll start with "disk checking" and eventual BSOD.  Mount the thing internally again and it will still be BSOD because the only way past it now is to reload.  I know this first hand.  Apparently, Microsoft does not want Win10 OS drive, probably Win11 also, just to go from one PC to another.

If the kit @speedstep linked works and defeats that problem, does @speedstep know that first hand?

121 Posts

May 1st, 2022 18:00

This discussion appears resurrected? Thank you friends I'll adjust the search criteria if needed. To be sure, I've returned the 7050, (that's out of the discussion). As per speedstep: "The 3620 is as new as you can get without going off the reservation" Good enuf fer me.

speedstep continues: Replace the OEM power supply in a 3620. Why? I looked over a few tutorials and they seem to indicate this is neccessary only when installing a 'Higher End' video card? Remember guys, I'm not a 'Gamer' and primarily work with SD footage, (not HD footage). Editing Video is not a primary task. I usually use my Mac for that. My current Video Card is NVIDIA GForce 210 (and works fine).

Anyway here's a sample tutorial installing the EVGA 700W power supply with the additional header adapter: Replacing The Power Supply - 3620 - I'd rather not get involved with all that unless its absolutely neccesary......

Lots to Summarize: (For Now), will stay with W10 Pro until 2025 and worry about it then. Would rather NOT swap any motherboards. With later production dates PREFER the 3620. Core i7 7th generation (or later) appears sufficent. As previously mentioned, call me old fashioned or mis-informed; conventional SSD vs. HDD is one thing. However I do not care for M.2 technology. For my needs an HDD or SSD (internal) system drive is sufficent.

Will manually install compatible Graphics, Audio, Esata, or anything else. Using typical office Apps, Light Video & Audio, ALL (media and data stored on externals), via esata using a PCI multi-port esata card, (it works great). Yes I've seen the various display options as per speedstep (thank you)!

speedstep mentioned possible issues with OWC enclosures or esata card functionalty? Using both for over 15 years, (never a problem). They're smooth.

speedstep mentioned 'a fair price' for a 3630 would be under $200. Yes I've seen them but my preference is for i7 7th Generation, or later. Those tend to range $250 or more ...

Thanks for all the extra ideas!
Best Regards
Mike

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2022 03:00

@WWII Researcher 

@bradthetechnut 

@KeepCalm 

The issue with the newer models is that they started using VERY proprietary Motherboards and power supplies and removed the IO shield building it literally into the case as well as making front IO a strange extension of the motherboard out to the front.  The cpu cooler backplate is also built into the case. That combined with the other issues means you can NEVER move your motherboard to a new case and get a new standard EPS12V power supply.  That means when it dies and you cant buy the parts you are done. Non serviceable repairable reuse-able parts is the wrong way to go.  Unfortunately the new models all follow this design now.

I don't recommend ANY of the new models to my clients for that reason.  Supporting throw away hardware is not my mantra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1dlVPzUVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvxSkqJ8ic

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

@WWII Researcher 

@bradthetechnut 

@KeepCalm 

ESATA port is clearly labeled on motherboard for models that do not have port on I/O shield. Saying never seen implys to the user that this is never an option when in fact its always an option for models that have sata ports on the motherboard. Your counterpoint is moot.

Bios also has other hidden system features like INTEL AMT options. These options like TPM are not available in all regions.  ESATA has enable and disable options in bios as well as other factors when a DESKTOP OR SFF OR USFF is used. putting other than a DELL sata hdd on the ESATA port will throw a thermal error for some 745 755 360 760 960 380 780 980 ETCEven the ancient 2006 Optiplex GX620 had a hardware TPM option. startech esataplt1lp  is the low profile version for the smaller models EXCEPT usff which has no slots.

DELL Kbdoc 000156076  ESATA PORTS

esata on 2007 755 boardsesata on 2007 755 boards

Label   SKU Part Number DescriptionBasic Systems Management ModeDeployment Mode

1 vPro
AMT
DASH Ready

310-9491 CU245 Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/vPro,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with vPro,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ vPro)
MOD MOD,LBL,MGMT,VPRO/AMT/DASH

1 AMT
DASH Ready
310-9494 HP413 Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/iAMT,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ iAMT)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,AMT/DASH,OPTI

2 ASF Only 310-9492 CU377 Short: Basic Client Systems Management,w/ASF,OPTI
Long: Basic Client Systems Management,with ASF,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Basic Client Systems Management (w/ ASF)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ENABLED

3 ME Disabled 310-9493 XT411
NN180
Short: Client Systems Management Disabled,OPTI
Long: Client Systems Management Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Client Systems Management Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,MEBX,DISABLE,OPT
MOD MOD,INFO,1-WATT,BIOS,OPTI,755

N/A Disables Remote Configuration 310-9495 CU378 Short: One Touch Provisioning Support,OPTI
Long: One Touch Provisioning Support, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: One Touch Provisioning Support
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ONE TOUCH CNFG

2 ASF with AMT option 310-9497 WK835 Short: LEGACY ASF SETTING FOR IAMT,OPTI
Long: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ROLL BACK

4 No TLS * 310-9496 RU572 Short: TLS Encryption Disabled,OPTI
Long: TLS Encryption Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: TLS Encryption Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,TLS,DISABLE,OPTI

* The No TLS option only applies to the following countries: China, France, Hong Kong, Israel, Korea, Poland, and Russia.
Table 1: Manageability Mode Labels
When issuing a dispatch, leave a note in the Comments to Service Provider field with the Manageability Mode option that must be selected after the system board is replaced.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

@bradthetechnut 

" If the Win10 SSD is plugged in to a USB port, it won't boot. "

That's wrong as well.  You can set the bios boot to boot usb first and if windows 2 go or sergei_strelec_winpe is on a USB flash drive 32 gig fat32 not only will it boot it will run without ANY internal or external HDD. Can be larger than 32 gigs but not smaller because windows wont fit on a smaller drive either flash or HDD/SSD on usb wire.  And yes I'm sure I don't think that works I know that IT works. On many models all the way back to Optiplex GX260 when the correct bios options are used.

LonSeidman  lon.tv  made a video on this using sandisk USB SSD.

been doing this since 2015 with rufus-2.5

Windows 2 GO and LIVE Linux and Strelec WINPE work that way using the universal boot model of MBR with BIOS OR UEFI.

sandisk 500 gig USB SSD B00ZTRY5IW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZJpzPvqtk

iso ON USB DRIVE  made to Live boot using rufusiso ON USB DRIVE made to Live boot using rufus

6 Professor

• 

7.7K Posts

May 2nd, 2022 11:00

@speedstep 

You can not change the experience I had just by telling me I''m "wrong."

When I tried to boot from SSD plugged into USB port, BIOS recognized it just fine.

It looked like it was attempting to boot with the dotted waiting circle.  Then it said something about "disk checking," which eventually lead to BSOD.

121 Posts

May 2nd, 2022 13:00

Hey Guys ...

I'm very appreciative of all your input. However now I find myself in the middle of a Mine Field and getting hit with big chunks of shrapnel. Hang on while I dive for cover and bandage up my wounds!

TWO.gif

Ok I'm back (boy that was close) ..... !

I was wondering if my command post can still pick up a decent Precision 3620 and use it without changing out the motherboard with a decent 'middle if the road' Graphics Card without replacing the Power Supply? Our battalion is under Heavy Fire and can't hold out much longer .. (making these kinds of field repairs in open ground is dangerous). So whattaya say guys? Is it a 'Go' ..

(Or)

Would I be better off (possibly avoiding those modifications) with a Dell Precision T1700??

If I get killed please remember to tell my family I always LOVED DELL! ♥

Zap2AA.jpg

No Events found!