Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 00:00

A Disk read error occurred when updating BIOS OptiPlex 3020

When I try to upgrade the bios, both under Windows and USB (DOS) after restarting the computer displays the message "A Disk read error occurred, Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restrat"
Bios set to LEGACY

2.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 06:00

When I try to upgrade the bios, both under Windows and USB (DOS)

what steps exactly,  ?

from what version to what version.?

using USB stick ,,  and with what DOS,  there are 2 DOS used, Freedos and DDDP

did it tell you burn complete?

did you run this process from windows desktop?

this

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln143196/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-using-dell-diagnostic-deployment-package-dddp?lang=en

if the hdd shows errors. run full smart tests in any HDD that ever shows errors.

if fails there is no software that can fix any bad hDD, (if it is dead or only out of spare clusters, it's NO GOOD)

there are all these ways to do BIOS updates, safe to not safe.

1. F12 update (no better way exists if there) see photo below I made on my 3020
  2. DDDP. (aka. DRDOS)
  3.  FREEDOS (very safe too, all 3 are above, including this)
  4. windows. (fingers in ears, cross  others behind back and 3 hail Mary;'s)

here is my 3020,  power on, fast hammer f12 bingo.

insert USB stick with your downloaded exe from dell matching your PC exact model.  copied to said STICK.

the in F12, update click that file and it burns, with , get this, NO OS or HDD even present in the system

my 3020my 3020

2.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 06:00

once that F12 flash (burn firmware) happens and no errors,  BIOS works perfectly in F2.

in F2 do a BIOS defaults reset.

if the RTC coin cell battery is dead, or below 2.9vdc then all this you are doing must not be done (replace battery first, never FLASH any (burn firmware) PC with  dead coin cell, ok.  I even use a UPS so power can not be lost burning any BIOS.

then run full ePSA tests on the HDD for sure. now.

ok.?

the ePSA is in FIRMWARE, so is never corrupted, like hdd do and windows does, see?

see diagnostics in the photo F12 menu.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 22:00

Same,
After selecting the file (from usb stick) with the new bios and accepting, the machine restarts and the message appears
  "A disk read error ..."

I changed the disk
I also turned off the hard disk because it is not needed in this method.
I changed the battery with a new one.

2.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 06:00

did you use F12? y/n

did you pick update in that list. ? using only this way to update bios the 99% safe way (100% with UPS)

UPS is not shipper it is  device called uninterruptible  power source (dc/ac inverter and battery in a box)

did you run ePSA on the HDD, the full hdd test. in DIAGNOSTICs y/n/

Same,
After selecting the file (from usb stick) with the new bios and accepting, the machine restarts and the message appears (well you did update in windows and I told you not to do that (windows can be infected)
  "A disk read error ..."  <<< if the PC is set to boot to HDD only and you see this it means the HDD is bad or corrupted, or BOTH)

what we dont know is what DISK means(there) nor at what point the the process that happened. all key to why.

sadly cant see your screen so cant really know, what's up but the dell BIOS logo shows, every boot.

tell you it is a 3020,  and F2 and F12 work if not BIOS is dead.

I changed the disk(you mean USB disk, flash memory stick the thing that DELL CALLS A KEY)?

call it uSB stick or USB key  and this works better.

I also turned off the hard disk because it is not needed in this method. (if you do that using method 4 windows then that will fail !) < and you seem to me that you burned firmware in WINDOWs!
I changed the battery with a new one.(good it is due.)

what is not clear here at all is what method to flash did you use. of the 4

1. F12 bios update ( the only way in my book) if present. and is on 3020 (no HDD needed )
  2. DDDP  (same no HDD needed) well  I mean after IT builds the USB stick that is) this DRDOS,dell-DOS
  3. Freedos. (same no hDD need) after using say RUFUS to build the stick and move 1 file over ,rom.exe)
  4. WINDOWS way, and really bad if infected, gee are not all old running windows infected (rhetorical) HDD needed.! or will fail to burn, and can fail vast ways,, using windows to burn firmware of any kind.

not only that but if the HDD is needed and is bad tell me  how windows can flash firmware ,OS infected or OMG

the HDD is in fact bad with dead clusters etc... NO WAY is the answer, and better yet a danger of bricking any PC.

here is my list of steps.

1: make your USB stick, fat32, formatted, and the correct exe file from dell (firmware newest if allowed)

2: flash the firmware using F12, only and pick update bios, do not touch PC nor let power die as it burns. ok?

give it 15minues, most do this under 5min and it tells you flat out it was a success, amazing no>? let it do  that.

3: then when THERE< remove the USB stick and hammer F12 again and run ePSA diagnositics on the drive.

if the drive fails. then it is bad,  if the hDD runs out of spare cluster (a Doomed HDD) we call that a BAD HDD.

if the hdd passes its tests.

you  can also in F2 BIOS click set BIOS to defaults, an then be sure to turn PXE fully disabled.

then make sure only one thing is in the boot order list. in BIOS. sections so named.

then set the HDD0 in BIOS the 1st in the boot order,  the HDD0 drive must show up or it is dead.

then see if the hDD0 boots now.  if not , we then go to windows recovery a whole other long topic.

but you should make it this far.

good luck to you!!!!

2.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 07:00

if you reset the BIOS after window burn

the 3020 thinks it is a business PC.  and that means it thinks by default it boots from PXE server youve never seen or understand that is all ok but do turn off PXE, ok>

almost all workstations or business grade PCs sets the boot wrong, in the home users setting.

the fix is easy.  about 1 click in F2 BIOS.

I will post that next that 1 bit,(disable bit)

F2 this PXE bit shows up in 2 places,  the 2nd  photo below shows PXE NIC disabled, if set like that then

if your F2 menus are dead say that first.

power on and hammer f2.

disable PXE first.

PXE (1).JPG

Now with PXE off, and PC will not boot, uncheck all things not the HDD0 (learn name of your hDD first)

knowing what is there make bios names 10x more easy to understand. in this case mine is SSD0

and is 128GB liteON  drive.  never check the box,  onboard NIC (means PXE )  (this is newest BIOS btw)

PXE (2).JPG

2.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 07:00

3020 how to run ePSA.

How to Enter the Built-in Diagnostics (32-bit Diagnostics, ePSA and PSA)

click this line here.

HERE

and run full hdd tests, on your old HDD.

my HDD is now SSD, I have no booting HDD here, all are SSD fast and super reliable.

power on , hammer f12,   see black menu above, then click DIAGNOSTICs. (this is rom firmware coded diagnositcs) and dell makes the best diagnostics in the business , IMO  ,  check it out.

No Events found!