Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2009 17:00

New Dell homepage - and now can't find bookmarks

Opened up to my Dell homepage tonight to find it is new/reconfigured.  That is fine, except now I cannot access my bookmarks.  When I click on bookmarks on the toolbar, I get the several options, but there are no bookmarks.  Where have they gone and how do I access them?  I'm not very computer savy, so this kind of stuff really frustrates me.

4.4K Posts

March 7th, 2009 13:00

If you are referring to the "favorites" you saved in the old forum, they are no longer accessible. 

4 Posts

March 8th, 2009 10:00

Say it isn't so!  OK, just so I'm clear on this - on my home page, there is the google toolbar that has the search button, spell check etc. and also has the bookemarks button- I used to click on that, that is where I would bookmark sites and get the list of all my favorite bookmarks that I put in different categories - now there is nothing, and you are saying they are just gone, with no warning or advice that we are changing our homepage, you need to save your bookmarks blah blah or something????This just seems so wrong.  Is there any way to retrieve them?

4.4K Posts

March 8th, 2009 11:00

You're right, we need to be clear here. Are you referring to what you see when you start Internet Explorer in general, not having logged into this Dell support forum or having anything to do with this support forum?  Or is this a problem specific to the forum, which became "new and improved"  (hardly!)  back in October?   Is this forum or some other Dell site your homepage and all your bookmarks/favorites gone, period?  Sorry if I'm a little dense understanding the problem.   If all are gone from Internet Explorer in general you can try running a System Restore point to a recent date when all was well.    

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

March 8th, 2009 13:00

I think this is about the Dell Start page (a custom iGoogle page) that Dell puts on new computers, that comes with Google Toolbar pre-installed.

Google Toolbar bookmarks are different from normal IE favorites.  Google Bookmarks are stored on Google's servers, not on the PC - you're at the mercy of glitches with the Google/Dell page and the Bookmarks function.

Unfortunately I don't know much more about it, but try this page to see if your bookmarks show up:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?hl=en&continue=http://www.google.com/bookmarks/bookmarks.html&nui=1&service=bookmarks

To save favorites on your PC permanently, you can import the Google bookmarks and save them, but it's honestly easier to use the Favorites directly from the IE7 menu.  Those are stored in a folder on your hard drive.

4 Posts

March 8th, 2009 18:00

I think you are right - I set them up on the pre-installed Dell start page with the Google toolbar.  I ran a restore to an earlier date, but still unable to retrieve.  So, I have decided to move on, and will start saving them again.  At the risk of yet again sounding really dumb, how do I start saving them to Favorites as you suggested?  Thanks in advance - I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

4 Posts

March 8th, 2009 18:00

This is the Dell homepage that came loaded on the computer.  I used the bookmark option on that toolbar to save bookmarks.  I ran a restore prior to losing the bookmarks, to no avail.  So, I guess I have to start over.  The other person who responded suggested that I use the option in Google for bookmarking.  Not sure how to do that, but have asked for some instruction.  Thanks for replying and your help.

4.4K Posts

March 8th, 2009 20:00

As I am unfamiliar with this nonsense Dell is installing on their new computers I shall step aside.  I buy from the business side and have not had the perverse pleasure of such fun and games.  Per Alexandria, I suggest you stick to plain old Internet Explorer or Firefox and come up with a homepage that doesn't hijack your settings.  :emotion-12:

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

March 8th, 2009 21:00

Grahamdogs:    Favorites, depending on how your page is set up, is either available as Favorites in the text menu, or if that isn't there the "yellow star" icon is what you want.

The Google bookmarks probably are still floating around somewhere in Google's servers and are recoverable, but I won't pretend to know how to get them back if they don't show up in the bookmarks page when you sign in to the Google account.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 8th, 2009 21:00

Here is the page that doesn't work correctly. Links are to the old forum as well as many other flaws and it should be corrected and can be if they simply change the html coding.

Dell Start Page

Rick

4.6K Posts

March 9th, 2009 07:00

... how do I start saving them to Favorites as you suggested?

To save website URL's in any browser (n IE they're called 'Favorites', in Firefox they're 'Bookmarks'), use CTRL + D :emotion-5:

No Events found!