Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2005 14:00

Network driver for Windows 2000 on Dimension

I had to remove XP Home addition from my Dimension and installed window 2000 and now I can't seem to find the network and video drivers for the Dimension on the website. Which one of you wizards out there can give me some guidance?

Thanks

28K Posts

It's pretty difficult to help you if you don't tell us which model computer you have.  Note that for computers shipped within the last several months, Dell does not ship any models with Windows 2000 and therefore will not have Winodws 2000 drivers on their download site.  In these cases you will have to find the drivers on the manufacturer's web site.  If you tell us which model computer you have, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Steve

12K Posts

More than likely, the XP drivers are going to work, but againm we need to know the specifics of the machine in question.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2005 17:00

Sorry, I didn’t realize I left the model number off; it’s a Dimension 3000.

Thanks for the quick replies... It's raining in Florida and I just regained power from a power failure.

Unfortunately the program I must use does not work on XP Home addition only on XP Pro and Windows 2000 and since I have two new copies of Windows 2000 it’s the one I installed.

Thanks again!

12K Posts

March 25th, 2005 19:00

You will have to go with this one since there are no 2000 dirvers listed, however, like Steve said, if you search the Intel site, there may be one there:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_CEL_3000&category=5&os=WW1&osl=EN

12K Posts

March 26th, 2005 13:00

I configure about two or three machines a week from scratch and always find the utility included with the Dell drivers to be the best way to go.  Now having said that, some of the older machines I deal with, like the Optiplex 150's have drivers suitable for running under the XP configuration, no updates needed, just a BIOS flash.  Bare drive to back in production in about 90 minutes.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2005 13:00

I have a Dimension 2700 (I believe its an Intel 82562EZ onboard).  I installed Windows 2000 and I couldn't install drivers for the ethernet either.  I installed a USB ethernet connection then went through the zillion and one Windows updates.  Only then did I try to install drivers for the onboard ethernet.

The R78727 driver for PRO/100 VE (pointed to by jmwills - see previous reply) ended up working.  There were a couple of caveats, though. 

I had to get the chipset drivers installed correctly, and that took a couple of tries.  Once that was working, I had to run the setup utility with the R78727... extracting the drivers and using Device Manager's driver update didn't work ... Windows 2000 didn't recognize the driver until I ran the setup.exe included with the R78727 bundle.

Good Luck!

No Events found!