Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2006 01:00

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router: Internet Dropout Problem

Hey,

I've recently bought a Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router, v6, and I've been having some problems with it.  I had no problem setting it up and connecting all the desktops and laptops in my house to it wirelessly (my home internet access is all based around wireless.)  This was great for a day.  But, after that day things got bad.  I couldn't connect to the internet on any of the laptops or desktops, the computers didn't even see an available wireless network in range.  So I went over to my broadband router and the Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router and unplugged and restarted both of them.  After about 3 minutes, I had internet again.  I was hoping that was it for problems, but this has continued for about a week now, and the internet connection drops out about every 30 minutes.  I am sick of having to restart the routers and reconnect.  I did some research off of Yahoo and found out that others have had a similar problem with this router, but I couldn't find a solution to the dropout problem. 

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  Or should I just go out and buy a different router, and if so, does anyone have a recommendation for a wireless router that gets at least 54 Mbps wirelessly.

Thanks in advance for any help,
~Fish

Message Edited by fishboy91s on 01-05-2006 07:31 PM

241 Posts

January 6th, 2006 01:00

I did two things.

1.  Changed from WEP to WPA (was using WEP for Tivo so bought seperate Router just to run WEP)

2.  Upgraded to beta software version 1.0.8

LT

241 Posts

January 6th, 2006 15:00

I Definitely recommed you run WPA-PSK.  As the protoypical network guy, I see networks as a means of connecting people together to share information...without a thought to intent as all people are nice, honest and without malice....however as a Pratical Person who lives in the new millenia, I've learned to lock to door whenever I leave the house and to put locks on my data as well.  Now knowing that locks only keep honest people honest, not even WPA is totally secure but it is a "good lock on the door!"

Now, having vented my social commentary, yes, enable WPA-PSK and upgrade the software. 

13 Posts

January 6th, 2006 15:00

Ok,

What if I want to run the network without any WEP or WPA encryption and just leave it as an open-access network?  In this sort of case, should I just upgrade to the beta software you mentioned and hope that things work out better; or would you recommend that I start using the WPA encryption and upgrade the software?

~Fish

13 Posts

January 6th, 2006 17:00

ok, well everything  seems to be working right now, but the true test will be if its still working tommorow without any restarts or "tinkering" by me. 

Thanks for all ur help L T.

~fish

241 Posts

January 6th, 2006 18:00

No Problem,

Let us know if you still have any issue tomorrow!

LT

13 Posts

January 7th, 2006 17:00

Ok, well everything went fine until this morning.  I had to restart the Netgear Router, but then the internet connection was fine again.  One thing I noticed, though, was that the Netgear Router was warm when I touched it.  I'm not sure but maybe its overheating and that's causing the dropout and why I to need to restart it every once in a while....  Does this seem possible?  I'm not sure, but anyways, if anyone has a suggestion to stop this from dropping out again, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, if the best recommendation to fix this problem is to just go out and buy a new router, I'll do it, but if that's the case, then a recommendation for a specific new wireless router would be great.

Thanks,
~Fish
No Events found!