Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2006 20:00

Installing a Belkin Wireless Modem/Router with USB Network Adapter for broadband use

I'm confused - what is the Broadcom Gigabite controller installed on my Dimension 8400 PC, is it causing the problems I'm having installing my new hardware?

Yes, I'm a computer novice as you can tell!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

28K Posts

February 13th, 2006 21:00

The the Broadcom Gigabite controller is an ethernet network controller that can connect at speeds of 1000 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 10 Mbps.  It will only connect at the higher speeds if the device your are connecting to is also rated for that speed.

Steve

57 Posts

February 14th, 2006 15:00

Yes but - I am attempting to set up a wireless network but my ADSL modem/router will not "find" an available network (I do not have an etherrnet cable to physically connect my PC to the modem router).  Steady green lights indicating power supply are all that is indicated on my router/modem.  Should I disable the Broadcom item?  I'm sorry for my lack of understanding and knowledge of what I'm attempting to do; I've contacted Belkin support but as yet they have not been able to sort out the problem.  Calls to Belkin technical support are hampered by a poor line to India (I'm in the UK), making it extremely difficult for me to hear what I am being advised to do.

28K Posts

February 14th, 2006 16:00

It is very unclear what you are have and what you are trying to do.  Is the Belkin Wireless Modem/Router a single unit, or do you have a separate dsl modem and wireless router?  Are you attempting to connect more than one computer to internet or is your intention to just connect one computer by wireless?  Please try to explain this better and we can go from there.

Steve

57 Posts

February 14th, 2006 17:00

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I have a combined wireless router/modem.  Initially I am trying to connect my home PC to my new broadband connection.  I have been able to connect to my ISP with the hardware they supplied but it's cabled to my telephone point which means a lead from the hallway to the room where the PC is situated which is inconvenient, hence my desire to go wireless.

28K Posts

February 15th, 2006 03:00

In order to configure or troubleshoot a wireless network, you have to be able to connect to the wireless router by ethernet.  Since you only have one computer that you are going to connect, you may have to physically move the computer next to the modem/router, connect to it by ethernet and configure the wireless settings.   Once these are set, you can unplug the ethernet cable and try the wireless connection.  Once it works, then you can move the computer to the location where you want it and always be able to connect by wireless.  If you run into problems, you may have to move the computer back, connect by ethernet to resolve the problem, then move it back and connect by wireless again.

This modem/router that you have - was it supplied by your dsl provider?  Are you sure that it is both a modem and a router?  If so, then you will likely have to configure the dsl connection so that it is exactly like the settings on the modem supplied by your internet service provider before it will make a connection to the internet.

Steve

9 Posts

February 15th, 2006 12:00

In addition to what steve said... and if you're planning to connect your computer to a wireless dsl modem/router, makes sure that you have a wireless LAN Card. The wireless LAN Card, of course, should be compatible with the frequency of the wireless DSL modem/router. It can be 802.11A or 802.11B/G. Likewise, makes sure that your wireless connection is free from interference i.e. wireless phone and even microwave oven.

Genezing

57 Posts

February 15th, 2006 14:00

Thanks for your advice guys.

Why do I need a wireless LAN card when I have a Wireless G USB Network Adapter which is connected to a spare USB socket on my PC?

My ISP supplied ADSL modem, which is cabled directly from my telephone socket to a USB socket on my PC, works fine.

I do have a cordless phone connected to the filter, perhaps that is causing my Belkin ADSL modem with wireless G router not to emit a network signal which my Adapter should detect?  When I open the Adapter utility no available networks are fouind. 

28K Posts

February 15th, 2006 15:00

Genezing didn't read your posts carefully enough to realize that you have the wireless USB adapter, so you don't need another wireless adapter. 

Exactly which model is the Belkin modem/router?  Have you configured it to make the DSL connection.  You will not be able to get the wireless to work at all unless you first connect to the modem by a wired connection and configure it to make the connection.  As for the cordless phone, if it is a 2.4 Ghz model, then it will interfere unless you set the router to use one of the extreme channels (1 or 11 - or 13 if that channel is support in the UK).

Steve

57 Posts

February 15th, 2006 18:00

Belkin F5D7632uk4A Version 3011uk

I didn't realise or was told by the store where I bought the hardware that I needed to physically connect the PC to the modem/router to configure a wireless connection, they said that all I needed was in the boxes!

I don't have an ethernet cable; I can see what type of connection I need on one end of the cable to connect to the router, should the other end have a USB connector or not?

28K Posts

February 15th, 2006 19:00

Why not try the interactive tutorial for your router/modem at the Belkin UK site -

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/tech/networkingsupport.asp

Click the link where it says "Need help setting up your products?"

Then click the 3rd link.  Note that you will need to have a flash player installed for this to work, but it looks like it gives fairly easy to follow instructions.  Although it would prefer that you initially connect with ethernet, it does have instructions for getting it configured over wireless.

Steve

No Events found!