Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2004 10:00

How to connect to broadband through wireless modem/router?

Hey guys...

Right I seriously need your help.

I have just recieved my new dell laptop and the benklin modem/router.

what i want to do is:

Connect to the internet through the wireless modem.
I already have an internet connection...and I dial up to my broadband.

I can connect to the broadband through my usb modem (I am now) and the laptop does regonise the wireless signal...bu how do i get my laptop to dial to broadband through my wireless modem and not my usb modem.

Thank you so much for your help...

Jason

136 Posts

December 12th, 2004 10:00

If I understand correctly, you have bought a wireless router which has an integrated broadband modem. The first thing to do would be to configure your router to connect to your ISP. But to configure your router, you would need to be able to call it's administrator page in your browser but before the router is configured, you probably can't use a wireless connection between your laptop and the router either.

At first you will need to connect your laptop to your router using an Ethernet cable. Most wireless routers have 4 Ethernet ports to connect 4 PCs using an Ethernet cable. Once your laptop is connected to your router this way, you can call your router's administrator page from your browser. Check your router's manual how to do this and for the initial password since all routers differ a little bit. Typically the address to enter in your browser would be something like http://192.168.0.1.

When you are in the administrator pages, you will need to configure your broadband access there including the protocol to use and any user IDs and passwords that may be required. You need to check with your ISP what information is required for their network.

When your Internet access works through your router, you can configure the wireless access in the router. Again you should refer to the manual of your router since the configuration can be tricky with all the options available.

The final step is to configure the wireless access in your laptop using  the wireless settings that correspond to those you selected in your router.

Setting up a wireless router with internet access is not one of the easiest things to do if you have never done it before. You should read carefully the router's setup instructions before you start.
No Events found!