Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

January 21st, 2021 13:00

D6000 Docking Station USB devices with M1 Mac

Hello dear Dell Community

I upgraded last week from my 2017 MacBook Pro to a 2020 MacBook M1. I work on a Dell D6000 Dockingstation with two Dell Screens (P2319H) with Displaylink. Both screens work like a charm on the M1 too, except for the usual blurry font.

Yet, with my M1, als devices connected to the Dockingstation with USB are not responsive at all, whether connector cables for Harddrives, Phone, Headset and so on.

Any idea about the reason and about fixes?

Thanks a lot

Félix

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2021 09:00

Anyone? 

January 23rd, 2021 01:00

I was able to fix this issue by going into:

System preferences

• privacy and security

• Screen Recording

• click on the '+' symbol to add an app.

• search and add 'DisplayLink Manager'

This immediately caused the USB hub to be properly detected and attached devices started working properly. This means that I am also able to get 2 external displays working plus the M1 MacBook pro display.

HOWEVER, I still had a weird bug remaining; if I closed the MacBook Pro lid, the two external displays would go off momentarily when they come back on (keyboard press) the displays attached to HDM1 and display port 1 were mirrored. The display port connected display operated at the same resolution as the HDMI connected display. In display settings the mirror option was turned off. Toggling this had no effect.

Unplugging and plugging the USB-C cable with the lid shut seems to have overcome the mirroring issue. The displays have both been detected correctly.

Some more testing needed but this seems to be working as per my old Macbook Pro 16". You will also need to download and use Amphetamine to stop the screens sleeping periodically, but this is a known issue with the displaylink drivers and clam shell mode (same problem with intel macs and M1 macs)

January 23rd, 2021 01:00

System preferences

• privacy and security

• Screen Recording

This immediately caused the USB hub to be properly detected and attached devices started working properly. This means that I am also able to get 2 external displays working plus the M1 MacBook pro display.

HOWEVER, I still had a weird bug remaining; if I closed the MacBook Pro lid, the two external displays would go off momentarily when they come back on (keyboard press) the displays attached to HDM1 and display port 1 were mirrored. The display port connected display operated at the same resolution as the HDMI connected display. In display settings the mirror option was turned off. Toggling this had no effect.

Unplugging and plugging the USB-C cable with the lid shut seems to have overcome the mirroring issue. The displays have both been detected correctly.

Some more testing needed but this seems to be working as per my old Macbook Pro 16". You will also need to download and use Amphetamine to stop the screens sleeping periodically, but this is a known issue with the displaylink drivers and clam shell mode (same problem with intel macs and M1 macs)

3 Posts

February 11th, 2021 06:00

Hi @captain-flappy-pants I am having similar issues.  When you plug your dock into M1 Macbook, does it get recognized when connected via USBC cable?

When I connect via USBC cable, dock doesn't even show up.  I have to unplug and replug the cable and all works perfectly.  Only during startup.  OR i can use the USBA connector and all works fine.

Are you seeing anything like this?

Thanks

1 Message

July 16th, 2021 18:00

I think the DisplayLink drivers need a bit of work on the M1.

To clarify, the D6000 is *flawless* on my Windows machine.
On the M1 I do find I need to unplug it and replug it in a few times to get it working (but sometimes it will work 100% on the first go).

My old Targus ACP7702 however works 100% on the M1 mac (minus charging features of course).

4 Posts

October 6th, 2021 05:00

Hi everyone, 

I also have issues with the 4 USB ports of my D6000 on my MacBook Air M1.

It's pretty weird and here are my situations : 

- MBA shutdown/sleeping mod and I plug the D6000, launch the MBA -> ok

- MBA ON and plugged the D6000 -> KO

BUT if I unplugg the D6000 for a couple of minutes of the MBA ON -> OK

Looks like the "plug and play" Windows like is not working well on the MBA or MBA/D6000 combo

If that can help someone or if someone already have the solution 

PS: of course everything is up to date

1 Message

November 3rd, 2021 00:00

Hello everyone,

I know that everyone is set to what they are used to have, but the Dell docks would not be advisable to use, even with the D6000 that claims to be universal. On the specs, it says that it can support up to 3 displays IF it's connected to the host pc using thunderbolt 3 cable, and only 2 displays if it's the USB 3.0

Yes, thunderbolt is universal (as long as host pc has native TB ports) but the m1 that's connected to the dock will have limited bandwidth.

Also, 2020 Macbook Pro M1s can only run 1 display natively, even with the Dell docks...just socksss...

but wait, there is more!

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 00.18.57.png

If you download the DisplayLink app on your M1, you would be able to run more than 1 display on your M1. (yes, there is a workaround almost always)

Once you are booted up after dl DisplayLink, make sure it is up and running first. Connect the first display that you are only able to fire up with the M1. Be patient as it is a bit slow with the "technological handshake" between your m1, the displaylink app, and the subsequent displays. I believe you can do roughly around 5 displays. Get flashy and get those pricey TB3 cables ready.

Now, I had to learn it the hard way to not connect my m1 to the Dell docks as it fried my logic board 3 months after I bought it. (My partner has Dell and windows everything for work) I thought it was cool to just plug it in the m1 coz it fits and boots up the asus display...until it wouldn't anymore. Long story short, I had the inevitable care+ take care of it, and get the board and the 2 ports replaced, to include the touch ID interface. pretty much a brand new laptop. I highly suggest to just get the dongle if you want to connect the m1 to a display.

4 Posts

November 24th, 2021 02:00

Hey, did you find a solution ?

I’m still stuck with my USB KO problem with the D6000 / MBA M1 2020

1 Message

December 31st, 2021 08:00

Hello,

Couldn't get it to be detected after reboot properly after upgrading to a mac mini m1 with monterey but then i happened to see that you could upgrade the firmware of the d6000 to version A04 on a windows machine so i did . Now it just works flawlessly.

PS: while trying to fix it i disabled filevault and this allow to load displaylink before login in. I reactivated it and now just one screen (the one without displaylink) to turn on for login page. (displaylink loaded after login)

February 7th, 2022 00:00

Works with old Dell D3000 3.0 USB  docking station  and 2020 Macbook Air M1 ( not PRO). 

2 additional screens works like a charm  

1 Message

May 5th, 2022 14:00

I logged a ticket with Apple but after 2 major OSX updates, the problem remained the same. I'm only using 1 external monitor but it is an LG Ultrawide model.

After reading some of the responses here and on other forums I installed the DisplayLink driver (from https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos) which has resolved my issues. Now, every time I plug in the Dell USB3 connector all of the attached USB devices activate and the monitor is recognised too.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2023 01:00

Hi everyone

System preferences

• privacy and security

• Input Monitoring

After this config, my hub-usb at monitor started to work.

June 26th, 2023 21:00

If you're experiencing issues with devices connected to your Dell D6000 Dockingstation not being responsive on your new MacBook M1, there could be a few potential reasons for this. Here are some suggestions to troubleshoot and potentially fix the problem:

1. Compatibility: Ensure that the devices you're connecting to the docking station are compatible with macOS and the M1 chip. Check the manufacturer's website or contact their support to confirm compatibility.

2. Docking Station Firmware: Update the firmware of your Dell D6000 Dockingstation to the latest version. Visit Dell's support website and search for your specific docking station model to find any available firmware updates.

3. macOS Updates: Make sure your MacBook M1 is running the latest version of macOS. Apple often releases updates that address compatibility issues and improve overall performance. Go to the Apple menu, select "System Preferences," then click on "Software Update" to check for any available updates.

4. DisplayLink Driver: Verify that you have the latest DisplayLink driver installed on your MacBook M1. DisplayLink is the technology used by the Dell D6000 Dockingstation to enable multiple displays and USB connectivity. Visit the DisplayLink website and download the most recent driver for macOS.

5. USB Settings: Check the USB settings on your MacBook M1. Go to "System Preferences," select "USB" or "USB-C/Thunderbolt" (depending on your macOS version), and ensure that the settings are configured correctly for your devices.

6. Power Supply: Ensure that the docking station is receiving adequate power. Connect the docking station directly to a power source using the provided power adapter, as USB ports alone may not provide sufficient power for all connected devices.

7. USB Cables: Try using different USB cables to connect your devices to the docking station. Faulty or incompatible cables can sometimes cause connectivity issues.

8. Reset SMC and NVRAM: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM) on your MacBook M1 can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues. Instructions on how to perform these resets can be found on Apple's support website.

If the problem persists after trying these steps, you may need to contact Dell support or Apple support for further assistance, as there could be specific compatibility or hardware issues that require specialized attention.

No Events found!