Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2020 12:00

S4128F-ON ONIE boot loop

Hello!

I have a pair of S4128F-ON and for one of them I chose by mistake install os and now it starts in a ONIE loop. Is there a way to get it out of this loop?

Thanks!

• 

8.6K Posts

April 8th, 2020 09:00

Page 8 https://dell.to/2XgrnLD seems to indicate the perpetual license should be available on the digital locker. You may want to call phone support for this.

• 

8.6K Posts

April 6th, 2020 09:00

Hi, Does it bring up the boot menu during this loop?

3 Posts

April 6th, 2020 15:00

Yes, but only the one with ONIE: Install OS, Rescue, EDA-DIAG, not the one with OS10-A, OS10-B

Appreciate your help!

• 

8.6K Posts

April 7th, 2020 09:00

It sounds like it wiped the previous install thinking a new install was happening.

3 Posts

April 8th, 2020 05:00

In fact it is not deleted, because I managed to temporarily enter the OS10-A, pressing the "c" key followed by the exit command and the original boot menu appeared. Switch worked normally, without any issue. Unfortunately, this is only a temporarily fix, because at restart the ONIE Install mode will resume again.
It seems that OS10 booting is just set off. Following what is wrote in this Quick Start Guide (p. 16),  ONIE
stays in Install mode until OS10 or the DIAG-OS is successfully installed again.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Because I don't have Registration Code, so I can't download a license from Dell Digital Locker, but the switch already has a perpetual license installed, is any way to backup existing license to avoid deleting at OS10 reinstall? Or reinstalling will preserve the existing licenses installed on switch?

2. Or maybe is a safer way to just reinstall DIAG-OS?

3. If you have better ways, please let me know...!

Appreciate your help!

1 Message

December 3rd, 2020 10:00

Thanks for this info.

I was stuck in the ONIE boot loop as well. Was able to get out temporarily same way you mentioned by hitting c at grub menu, then exit at grub> prompt.

I still have the same issue of booting into ONIE when the switch reboots. Need to get this resolved before moving into production. Did you find a way to cancel the autoboot to ONIE, and go back to autobooting to OS10?

My original reason for needing into ONIE was to do password reset process, but since I got back in to OS10, I was able to use admin account and get in, so I don't need ONIE anymore, just want it to stop hanging up the boot process now!

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2020 11:00

Hello,

If you go into the BIOS, you should be able to set the boot order. You should be able to get into the BIOS with either the F2 key, or the delete key ( I don't recall specifically which, but I believe it will show you during power up). Let me know if that helps.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2020 09:00

I'm also having exactly the same issue.

I have to exit ONIE everytime I reboot my switch.

Did you manage to solve the issue?

How do you resolve it?

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2020 10:00

Yup.. I just found the solution.

I just need to press 'DELETE' key on the keyboard

to enter BIOS to modify the boot menu.

'F2' and 'Del' key at numpad area does not work.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Hello Akira,

Have you already tried modifying the boot order? I realize you were addressing the OP,  so if you'd prefer to wait for a response to see if this worked, that's fine, too.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Thanks for sharing. I obviously didn't recall the specific button, so the extra clarity is certainly valuable!

1 Message

July 17th, 2021 05:00

Hi Team,

Today I've encountered this error while trying to go to BIOS setup the Dell EMC S4128F.

Please connect External Keyboard to the Switch and Press Del while showing the options.

press or at the time of re-booting.

it worked for us.

Thanks.

October 27th, 2021 06:00

The Link is down, same problem here!

• 

2.3K Posts

October 27th, 2021 07:00

Hello, you can check this link https://dell.to/2ZzhZpU or this one https://dell.to/3GuRSRq;

Hope this helps!

October 27th, 2021 08:00

thank you for the quick reply. but I think the switches are completely broken. Switch 1 runs after the OS Insall choice in a Kernelpanic. the second remains, as to see in the pictures.H2MXNK2_Onie_Rescue.PNGH2MXNK2_Onie_2.PNGH2MXNK2_Onie_3.PNG

No Events found!