Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

15 Posts

February 24th, 2022 18:00

One IGMP Querier or Multiple Queriers

Hi,

Let's say we have three OS10 Switches at 10.5.x connected in a ring or meshed topology.

Only Layer 2 configurations, that is:

• the switches are running LACP connecting one another
  • spanning tree is enabled
  • a VLAN is configured across all the switches and the VLAN trunked allowed

Everything is working fine. The questions are these, for multicast:

1)  Can we configure more than 1 IGMP Querier for the VLAN for the topology? That is to say switch 1, 2 and 3 all will have the IGMP Querier configured in their VLAN configurations in the switches.

2) If it is supported, how does OS10 handled multiple IGMP Queriers on the network? What's the behaviour the switches adopt? Was there like a master elected and the remaining will be standby?

Thanks so much

• 

3.2K Posts

February 25th, 2022 00:00

Hi @Tkpoh,

I spoke to my co-worker in networking, you can configure more than 1 IGMP but 1 VLAN can only contain 1 IGMP. 

Probably the user guide of OS10 could help clear up both of your questions: https://dell.to/36umcOE

15 Posts

February 25th, 2022 01:00

Hi,

I had searched the User Guide of the OS10 10.5 but i did not find any mention of the Querier Election.

In the N-Series, which i think the command "ip igmp snooping querier election participate" enables the Snooping Querier to participate in the Querier Election process when it discovers the presence of another Querier in the VLAN.

So can i confirm that OS10 does not have querier election command?

Thanks.

• 

3.5K Posts

February 25th, 2022 08:00

Hello,

I can confirm that there is no querier election command in OS10.

Thanks

Marco

15 Posts

February 25th, 2022 18:00

Hello Marco,

Thanks for confirming my thots on this.

In regards to this, if multiple IGMP Queries (i.e. on more than 1 switch) are configured for the VLAN, how does OS10 handled this in a pure L2 network with the multiple switches LACP interconnected?

Most other switch brands have some form of logic to manage this. Example for juniper: "If you configure multiple switches to be IGMP queriers, the switch with the lowest (smallest) IGMP querier source address takes precedence and acts as the querier. Switches with higher IGMP querier source addresses stop sending IGMP queries unless they do not receive IGMP queries for 255 seconds. If a switch with a higher IGMP querier source address does not receive any IGMP queries during that period, it starts sending queries again."

Any idea how OS10 handled multiple queries configured?

Thank you so much.

• 

3.9K Posts

February 27th, 2022 17:00

Hi, if multiple IGMP Queries (i.e. on more than 1 switch) are configured for the VLAN, how does OS10 handled this in a pure L2 network with the multiple switches LACP interconnected? >>> yes it can work number of switches once configured on all VLANs.

15 Posts

February 27th, 2022 19:00

Thanks Young.

I assume you mean multiple IGMP queriers can be configured for the same VLAN.

• 

3.2K Posts

February 28th, 2022 00:00

Hi @Tkpoh,

No. You will not be able to have multiple IGMP on same VLAN. You can only have an IGMP quarrier/snoop for the same VLAN.

No Events found!