Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2008 22:00

ViewSonic Monitor Problems

My model is a ViewSonic VX922, and I have been having problems with it more and more. When I first got it, I would play some games with it, but all of a sudden the screen would go black. Now, I figured out the problem, the screen would go into digital mode when a game was in full screen. So all of the games I played, I would have to switch to window mode just to use the monitor to play.

Now, if the monitor is on when I am booting up or restarting my computer, it will stay black. The light on the monitor will blink, and so will the screen. It will blink black and a shade lighter of black, barely noticable.

It also seems to work when it wants it to. If I have a very dark desktop background, the screen will go black. I feel the back of it, but it doesn't seem to be overheated. I have 2 dell computers, and I have to either use the one that I am on now, or interchange the monitors to get to my school work. Sometimes to get it to work, I would press the home button on my keyboard to launch internet explorer.

Now, I cannot even do anything to make it work. I've tried unplugging it from both the monitor and the back of the computer. I've tried letting it stand. I've tried resetting the drivers. Nothing works.

I cannot use the monitor at all anymore. I'm at a loss.

Thank you to anyone who may have a solution or any suggestions.

Kristine Picken

1.7K Posts

May 1st, 2008 11:00

Are you running max resolution or less? Which input? It looks like you may be in the market for a new monitor. i have not seen the inside of that model to give you any real advice. You could ask local tv shops if they repair monitors but usually their price equals a replacement cost.

552 Posts

May 1st, 2008 11:00

I have owned three Viewsonic LCD monitors and everyone of them have failed shortly after the warranty period. The last one did the very same as yours. They are not worth trying to have them repaired since it would cost almost as much as it would to buy a new one. I would not recommend Viewsonic. Hope this helps.

3 Posts

May 1st, 2008 15:00

I'm starting to think it was built that way, because the problems only increased the most once the warranty was over. It really makes me angry, because the monitor was expensive, i'd expect it to at least last a couple more years. Most of anything electronic these days is not worth to repair, as it costs just as much for a new one.

3 Posts

May 1st, 2008 15:00

I've tried many different resolutions, some of them helped it to work. But whatever resolution I would put it at, as soon as I turned the monitor off, I would have to try many things to get it to actually turn on.

I must sound like an idiot here, but what do you mean by input?

And yes, new monitor is definitely in my thoughts. But I need something that can render graphics at the highest quality, as I do a lot of digital artwork. The ViewSonic was great for that, but I don't think i'd ever want another one.

And yes, repairing is out of the question.

1.7K Posts

May 1st, 2008 16:00

The input would be the vga or dvi cable to the computer.  Every brand has problems. I've been able to find very few bad ones to repair. Lots of dell though.

1.7K Posts

May 1st, 2008 20:00

I saw the viewsonic 22" widescreen showing to a friend who has poor eyesight and was impressed. It can be had for less than $250.

I almost considered it myself but cannot justify as I fix them as a hobby.  As soon as I get 2 of the same, I am going to span my display across them.

552 Posts

May 1st, 2008 20:00

I must agree with the picture quality of the Viewsonics I purchased. However, they just do not seem to last. As you mentioned, they fail shortly after the warranty expires. The one I purchased three and a half years ago lasted 18 months and was in warranty for 3 years. It took me one complete month to get in touch with Viewsonic. I called and emailed them every day for a solid month. I finally got through to someone that issued me an RMA. I sent the monitor back at my expense of $15.00 and did not here from them at all. I gave them 10 days and tracked the shipment and showed it arrived at Viewsonic in one week. After 2 weeks I again emailed Viewsonic and was told they had no record of receiving my monitor. I had to go through UPS to prove they had received the monitor. Two weeks later I received an email that advised they no longer supported the model I bought and sent me another refurbished monitor. It worked exactly 19 months and displayed the exact symtoms you described earlier. The monitor was now out of warranty. So now it sits in the garage awaiting my next trip to the recycler. Now as mentioned earlier, all brands have problems with LCD monitors. I purchased a Dell 2407WFP monitor and it lasted exactly 8 months and failed. Dell wanted to replace it with a refurbished one which was unacceptable. I had to contact 9 different people all over the world to get Dell to replace it with a new monitor. I received it in 2 days and so far it works great. I am not experiencing any of the issues others have. But how long it will last is anyones guess. Hope this helps.

552 Posts

May 1st, 2008 21:00

I too, am visually impaired. Blind in one eye and slight vision impairment in the other, so a good high quality monitor is essential for me to use a computer. The Viewsonics I used did seem to have a better quality disply than any I had used. That is why I purchased them. But the lack of support and longevity turned me to Dell. The Dell image is not as good but is acceptable. I was very disappointed when the 2407WFP failed after 8 months and the Dell replacement policy. When this Dell fails, as I am sure it will, I will go to another brand, because of the Dell support issues I had to go through to get the failed one replaced.
Message Edited by Boyd B on 05-01-2008 05:08 PM

1.7K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 01:00

I have a 1800fp that I bought new years ago, still perfect.  I gave a friend a 1703 freshly repaired and they had a hard time with it, I replaced it with an HP and they were very happy.

I believe it's worth it to get a better quality screen, it's like cars, the cheap ones say they are as good as the more expensive ones and they may be good enough for the average person.  But if you have a need, spend the money.

I guess I see mostly the problem ones but I would get the extended warrenty for any large screen monitor with the amount of unhappy customers.

No Events found!