Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

November 14th, 2019 01:00

U2715H, NUC, randomly no signal from HDMI!

Hi,

I bought a NUC8i3BEH 2019-08-23 at a retailer in Sweden and I'm running it with:

• Corsair 16GB 2x8GB 2400Mhz / DDR4 / CL16 (CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16) (verified to work with Intel)
  • Samsung 960 EVO Series MZ-V6E250BW 250GB

It's connected to a Dell UltraSharp U2715H bought 2017-08-01 (which I just love!), together with my work laptop.

• NUC on HDMI (MHL) 1
  • Work laptop on HDMI (MHL) 2

The NUC is never moved or unplugged. It's just sitting there on my desk. The work laptop though, I'm connecting and disconnecting now and then when I'm off for work.

The odd thing is that the NUC, gives me the "no signal" message after I've connected and disconnected, as well as turned on and turned off the monitor a few times. I haven't been able to replicate the error but that is my closest explanation. After the NUC was on "service" and no fault was found, because the NUC isn't the problem, apparently - I went home and - voila - the NUC gave me a signal again. After a day or so (when I got home from work and plugged in my work laptop and tried switching HDMI port on the OSD - it gave me the no signal again...

This has been the case since then. It seems to happen a bit randomly after some time.

Just to clarify; if I shut down both the NUC and the laptop and disconnect the HDMI cable from the laptop and fire up the NUC - it gives me signal. Everything is working as it should. I can then connect the HDMI cable to the laptop and switch back and forth between them. But, after a few hours - or when I've turned on/turned off the monitor a few times - the NUC gives me "no signal" again...

This makes me believe that something happens in the monitor either when the HDMI cable is disconnected/connected and/or in combination with powering the monitor on/off. Handshaking problems when the monitor is turned on and off - or something.

The NUC is working fine from any other source (other monitors, our TV etc.). Immediately after the purchase, I installed a clean version of Windows 10 and updated the BIOS which currently it's "Intel Corp. BECFL357.86A.0073.2019.0618.1409, 2019-06-18".

Things tried:

1. According to Windows Update, the NUC is fully updated
  2. The Intel® NUC power LED is not blinking (i.e. giving me any specific error signals)
  3. I have switched HDMI cables back and forth between the NUC and the work laptop and both cables give me signal to the work laptop - so it's not the HDMI cable
  4. I have removed and re-installed the graphics driver in the NUC, with no success and I am now running the latest graphics driver version: 26.20.100.7212

Now for some questions:

1. WHAT could be the issue
  2. HOW do I resolve it
  3. HOW do I avoid the same issue again in the future
  4. Would it help purchasing a HDMI to DP/mDP cable and if so, which of them gives me the best performance?

All the best,

Sean

Dell U2715H error message.png

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

November 15th, 2019 00:00

Turns out, that the two shortcut keys on the monitor, might have been the culprit. What I did, was changing the two personalized shortcut keys - by changing the order of them. It like, the reversed order, gave some sort of handshake problem.

So, now it looks like this:

• NUC on HDMI (MHL) 1

Personalized shortcut key:

• Shortcut Key 1: Input: HDMI (MHL) 1 - (not MHL 2, as it was before!)
  • Shortcut Key 2: Input: HDMI (MHL) 2 - (not MHL 1, as it was before!)

For some reason, that took care of the problem... Not that I understand how or why, but - now everything works as it should. The no signal issue is no more...

Thanks to Arun, a Dell moderator, for the help of what to try.

All the best,

Sean

3 Posts

August 15th, 2022 14:00

Dell U2715H

Your problem seems he exact issue I am having. It has been working fine sine I bought it new a few years ago but just for the past few weeks it has been going off an on. I would like to try your solution to see if it works but I am not following it. Can you possibly dumb it down for me? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

August 15th, 2022 23:00

Hi SunnahWay,

If it's going on an off, it might not be the same problem as I had - since it's been working for several years and you haven't changed ports or switched cables, I presume?

Anyway, I don't have a better explanation of it than what I gave above. So, what you CAN try is change the shortcut key:

"Turns out, that the two shortcut keys on the monitor, might have been the culprit. What I did, was changing the two personalized shortcut keys - by changing the order of them. It like, the reversed order, gave some sort of handshake problem.

So, now it looks like this:

• NUC on HDMI (MHL) 1

Personalized shortcut key:

• Shortcut Key 1: Input: HDMI (MHL) 1 - (not MHL 2, as it was before!)
  • Shortcut Key 2: Input: HDMI (MHL) 2 - (not MHL 1, as it was before!)

For some reason, that took care of the problem... Not that I understand how or why, but - now everything works as it should. The no signal issue is no more...

Thanks to Arun, a Dell moderator, for the help of what to try.

All the best,

Sean"

No Events found!