Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2006 15:00

Is thisa right?!?!? Get a refurb monitor back for warranty replacement?

I had a 1905FP monitor fail at2 months.  They were happy to replace it (after a 30 minute call that could have been 10 minutes tops).  When I get the new one its refurbished!!!

That is very shady to me.  Buy a NEW monitor for money, it fails so they give me a refurbed one.  So in the end I paid my real money for a used/refurbed machine.

That is just soooo wrong.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

You may want to go to www.dell.com (assuming you purchased your system in the US), and at the bottom of the page select the 'conditions of sale and site terms', and then select warranties on the left side and scroll down to "what will Dell do" it clarifies the warranty a bit.

217 Posts

I was just venting a bit.  Im SURE they have a statement somewhere that clarifies their intent to do that injustice. Doesnt make it right.  In most peoples heart of hearts Im sure most would agree its sly and unjust.  I bought a NEW monitor and I want a NEW monitor if the first new one I bought fails.  So in the end, I paid retail new cash for a used monitor, no matter how you look at it.  Great scam.

Message Edited by roattw on 03-29-2006 11:53 AM

12.1K Posts

March 29th, 2006 17:00

This question comes up ever so often.  After the 21 days return policy has passed, you and everyone else will normally get a refurbished system or monitor.  It is clearly stated, and not a slight of hand.  The other manufactures do the same.  That is the way of this business

8 Posts

March 29th, 2006 18:00

You said that you had the monitor for 2 months.  Well if you used the monitor for 2 months than it was not new anymore.  Why should you give a used monitor back to dell and get a brand new one.  Like someone said read the warranty next time, and if you dont like what it has to say , dont buy it.
I dont want to sound like a hard guy, but it seems everbody thinks Dell owes them somthing for nothing. 
Cyruss

217 Posts

March 29th, 2006 18:00

I guess I kinda see your point. Kinda.  Second monitor has color issues, reds are brown and resets dont fix.  Guess I will get another refurb.  My mistake was that the problem actually occurred early on at 2 weeks, got wors and a month I should have done something about it I guess. 

I dont really want something from Dell for nothing.  If a monitor fails at 1-2 months, its not up to par and one should be afforded the opportunity to get a new monitor.  If you are lucky and get a new monitor that is fine, then you get the luxury of owning it for a couple years without issues.  Im pretty sure the customer (and Dell) would agree that that is the hope/intention when purchasing a new monitor.  No one buys one saying well, I hope I get the 2 yr quality new one and not the 2 month one, both are possible.  So, in my mind, paying for a new monitor (and getting what I paid for) means getting a new monitor and having it without event for at least a year.  And I should be given a new one until I get that initial quality they themselves intended from the beginning.

Would you buy a car if at three months failure they were allowed to give you a used one of the same make, or worse "Refurbished".  I realize its not quite apples to apples comparison but the logic and customer rights are equivalent I think.  It bugs me that many electronics the norm is "it may or may not work" for an extended period of time; we'll find you a used one if it doesnt - good luck with your purchases and the random chance it entails.  Some of your responses just reflect the consumer complacency with inductry instead of consumers defining customer standards.  You have been given 90 days to be sure somethign works for so long its become acceptable to have a failure at 91 days.

I realize its probably a cost issue for them but sheesh. I dont like shouldering their cost.  We used o buy a lot of Dell monitors where I work, but its totally hit or miss whether you get a good one - depends on which subcontractor built this series this month.

Just a little soap boxing, and I respect your shared opinions and your willingness to discuss openly.  But I just dont agree. Respectfully.

639 Posts

March 29th, 2006 19:00

Don't feel too bad. I bought a 2001FP that was bad out of the box. It was plugged into my computer for less than sixty minutes and in my office for less than twenty four hours.
Dell's solution; exchange it for a refurbished unit. Pay for a new monitor, get a used one. Around here, they call that "bait and switch". How low can Dell go? Pretty darn low.

217 Posts

>>>Don't feel too bad. I bought a 2001FP that was bad out of the box. It was plugged into my computer for less than sixty minutes and in my office for less than twenty four hours.
Dell's solution; exchange it for a refurbished unit. Pay for a new monitor, get a used one. Around here, they call that "bait and switch". How low can Dell go? Pretty darn low.

Eeek.  Sorry to hear that, but thats exactly my point.  Bought a used unit for new price.  Some people get lucky (if that production series came from Sansung), the rest get used machines.  Like playing the lottery.

217 Posts

No worries cyruss.  You were partially right.  You canthelp but understand the economics of why they feel they need to do it.  But its still bait and switch and the other poster replied, and somehow is just unfair.  Feels icky :smileyvery-happy:

It gves me that same feeling I get at the Pro baseball game when they charge me 8$ for a 1$ beer.  Its kind of "sorry about your luck, we have you where we want you, you lose."

Message Edited by roattw on 03-29-2006 03:44 PM

8 Posts

You know the more I thought about what I said I realized I was way to Harsh, I am sorry.

I would probally be as mad as you to purchase a new monitor and have it go out in 2 months. 

Anyway no matter what happens I wish you luck.

Cyruss

639 Posts

March 29th, 2006 20:00

It's nobody's fault but mine. I've had bad experiences with Dell about five years ago and I should have never done business with them again, I should have heeded the warnings about Dell at http://www.resellerratings.com, but I went for a deal that was too good to be true, and I got burned for $500 plus all the time I'm wasting dealing with Dell.

96 Posts

April 2nd, 2006 15:00

I'm interested to know how you know what you got back was a refurb? Is there something that distinguishes it as such?

I had a problem with my first 1905FP and sent it back after a couple of days, so I'm wondering if I also received a refurb in exchange. Mind you, if a refurb brings the product back to the status where all components behave like new components and look like new components, then I don't really have an issue with that, so long as it also carries the same warranty. But one can't really attest to the quality of the refurb...you've just gotta take it on face value and hope that it's up to scratch.

217 Posts

April 2nd, 2006 15:00

3 ways: I called back to Dell and they verified it was refurb, there was a big "Refurbished" label on the shipping box, and consensus in the community forums is that thats policy.  I think its also in the warranty (read as bait and switch) "fine print".

>>>>But one can't really attest to the quality of the refurb...you've just gotta take it on face value and hope that it's up to scratch.

Exactly, and from other experiences, includingthis one, I dont think I trust them that much. 

Message Edited by roattw on 04-02-2006 11:46 AM

281 Posts

April 4th, 2006 12:00

we buy hundreds of their flat panels a year- we get some DOA  The last time the shipped us a "refurbished" monitor for one brand new one that had arrived dead- was not happy.  They said "refurbished" does  not mean it was returend and they fixed it.

16 Posts

April 5th, 2006 17:00

no, no no NO. You do not send a refurb to replace a defective product. That is not good business practice whether it's in the fine print or not. It's plain wrong. It doesn't matter if it's "industry standard". Very very poor excuse.

Mom: why did you steal from the cookie jar?
Son: because Tommy's doing it too.

Doesn't work there, doesn't work here.

12.1K Posts

April 5th, 2006 18:00

Just because it states refurb on the box does not mean its refurb.  Just might be a monitor sent back with a system, a customer did not want, and was not open, and Dell is obligated/required to identify this as a refurb. 

No Events found!