Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 16th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 9570 and Ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 and I initially had several problems that I finally figured out how to solve (so far).  I thought some people might appreciate a synopsis of the issues I've experienced and my methods of solving them.

• The issue with Killer WiFi is well documented and I found that simply installing the latest linux firmware did the trick quite nicely.  In the link provided, be sure to examine the list of available firmware downloads. Be warned: they are not sorted in any clear order so you will need to carefully examine the dates posted to find the most current driver.
  • Installing the latest Nvidia drivers was necessary to get my desktop GUI up and running.  I had to boot into the terminal and then follow the process detailed here.
  • My biggest issue came with the advanced power management.  First, my XPS would randomly shut down either when running on battery or plugged in with the simple adapter but not when plugged in to the TB16 dock.  Second, booting up and shutting down was taking for ever and third, the fans would randomly come on at full blast under very light processing load.  I've listed all these issues in a single bullet point because the resolution was tied together.  After some investigation I found that by removing the "quiet splash" and adding "acpi_osi=Linux" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line both provided a very useful output of all the processes being run and resolved all my issues with boot and power management.

I'm bummed Project Sputnik only had 13 inch XPS laptops with native Ubuntu installed otherwise I might have gone that direction.  But things seem to be working well and I'm getting the performance I want.  I'm hopeful that new Linux kernels and maybe some firmware updates from Dell can help optimize my experience further.

June 16th, 2018 11:00

You might need to try a somewhat earlier version.  Here's the output I get from running nvidia-smi

nvidia-smi
Sat Jun 16 11:41:58 2018
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 390.67 Driver Version: 390.67 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GeForce GTX 105... Off | 00000000:01:00.0 Off | N/A |
| N/A 37C P8 N/A / N/A | 575MiB / 4042MiB | 3% Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Type Process name Usage |
|=============================================================================|
| 0 1085 G /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg 28MiB |
| 0 1179 G /usr/bin/gnome-shell 47MiB |
| 0 1477 G /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg 225MiB |
| 0 1677 G /usr/bin/gnome-shell 180MiB |
| 0 2748 G ...-token=8F6496536DA042B70CBA563BC37B5AAC 79MiB |
| 0 11014 G ...2.2/exec/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/octave-gui 12MiB |

If you can't get nvidia-driver-390 to work try some of the more involved steps detailed here.  

June 16th, 2018 11:00

i followed the link for installing the nvidia drivers, i can't seem to get it to work.

driver   : nvidia-driver-396 - third-party free recommended

I installed 396, but when i run nvidia-settings:

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

1 Message

June 18th, 2018 06:00

Hi Copper.

Could you provide some info on how you managed to run Ubuntu on your xps? I have recently tried Ubuntu 16 and 17 and neither worked (after choosing the usb with ubuntu as boot preference and rebooting there was only the black screen with some error messages appearing/disappearing and no further progress).

Given that I also experienced an issue with noizy fans (essentially straight after purchase), I called the tech support and they told me that this model (9570) does not support linux at all at the hardware level (something related to the motherboard)... So now I wonder whether this is true. Hoping to get some info from the enthusiasts.

Might it be the issue of the older versions of Ubuntu? If you have any ideas, they would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Daniel.

June 27th, 2018 06:00

hi @Supermanzer, sorry to bother but your first link doesn't work for me now, can you fix it somehow? thaks anyway

June 27th, 2018 08:00

The one about Killer WIFI?  It's launching for me just fine.

June 27th, 2018 08:00

2 Posts

August 5th, 2018 04:00

Test this: https://github.com/JackHack96/dell-xps-9570-ubuntu-respin

Is working great for me and other people.

1 Message

August 17th, 2018 13:00

Here's a quick video on how to replace the Killer wifi card with a less buggy Intel wifi card.  Super easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewAsqzAwXvI

3 Posts

August 24th, 2018 17:00

Any suggestions getting suspend to work again after S3 was removed from the 1.3.x BIOS? My laptop nearly caught on fire in my backpack earlier this week. I'm now having to shut it down before packing it away l.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2018 10:00

Update your kernel to the latest. I'm running 4.18.3, also make sure you have nouveau.modeset=0 in your /etc/default/grub. I had the same issue and the kernel was going into a endless panic trying to sleep the processor cores. Disabling nouveau driver fixed this issue.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2018 12:00

@pwaterz wrote:

Update your kernel to the latest. I'm running 4.18.3, also make sure you have nouveau.modeset=0 in your /etc/default/grub. I had the same issue and the kernel was going into a endless panic trying to sleep the processor cores. Disabling nouveau driver fixed this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion @pwaterz - I've done what you suggested, but without luck. My machine now goes to sleep but then doesn't wake up anymore. I've tried a number of other variations without success. Have since downgraded back to 1.2.2 BIOS (I use this machine for work and cannot afford downtime) but things are just a mess. WiFi and Bluetooth cards randomly stop working after waking, etc. 

Could you maybe share your Grub lines with me? I will go back to 1.3.1 at some point and try again.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2018 13:00

Do this:

- Open terminal

- sudo journalctl -f

- Close your laptop

- Wait 30 seconds

- Re open your laptop

- Stop the journalctl command with ctl c

- Scroll back through the logs and look for any errors. You might have to scroll back quite a bit. Mine was throwing a kernel panic endlessly. You can see my error log I was seeing in this post https://askubuntu.com/questions/1042414/trying-to-install-ubuntu-on-dell-xps-15-9570/1062891#1062891

Also check out my post on how to install 18.04 on the XPS 9570 here https://medium.com/@pwaterz/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu-18-04-on-the-15-inch-dell-xps-9570-with-nvidia-1050ti-gpu-4b9a2901493d

3 Posts

August 31st, 2018 16:00

Thanks for your help @pwaterz - a combination of your post and also scripts from JackHack96 now means I have a working system again.

6 Posts

September 21st, 2018 15:00

* is the battery life under linux much worse than under windows 10?

* is there a place where we can petition dell to support 18.04 on ths xps 15 9570?  with the demise of sanity on the macbook pro 15 (keyboard, OLED bar, pricing), they have a good opportunity to pick off many developers from macos with good ubuntu support w/o tweaking required.

6 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 12:00

I did manage to install ubuntu 18.04 with JackHack96's modifications.  kudos.  thanks 

it seems stable now.

the only issue now is that the fan comes on every 5 seconds or so.

No Events found!