Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2019 10:00

e5400 How do I disable the Mobile Broadband Device?

I have a Dell e5400 that has a mobile broadband device that I am not intending on using. Every time this laptop starts up it has a message that says "Configuring Mobile Broadband Device - Do not shut down or restart Windows".

There is nothing in the BIOS to disable it and I haven't been able to find anything in Device Manager to disable it. When I search for it I only get how to install the SIM cards to use it. I just want to turn the Mobile Broadband Device off completely. Does anyone know how?

1 Message

October 7th, 2019 09:00

Do the following:

Win-X (Windows Key and X)

click Computer Management

click Services and applications

click Services

Scroll down to "FirmwareSwitchService", right click and select Properties.  Change Startup Type to Disabled.  Then click Apply and OK.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 30th, 2019 11:00

Do you have anything plugged into the modem connector port? If so, disconnect it. See the setup  manual---

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-e5400_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf 

You should be able to disable it if it is actual hardware in Device Manager. It might be under Network Adapters or another category that doesn't exist on recent models. The e5400 is almost an obsolete model now. I'd buy a new computer. 

I just thought of checking the startup folder to see if something there is trying to start the old device. Not sure what OS you have on the 12 yr old model. Win 10 task manager has a startup folder tab. 

July 31st, 2019 05:00

Hi cajunone,

You can try the steps 

Go to start all programs and see if there is a listing for the Broadband adapter if there is try running that

It could be that the window's is managing the wireless connection. To stop this you can go to start in the box type services.msc

scroll down the Windows wireless zero settings and click on it. Set it to disabled and see if that activates the card in the Dell Control point

5 Posts

August 1st, 2019 13:00

Hello,

There are no listings for anything other than the standard wireless and Ethernet network adapter. I checked and there was also no listing for Windows Wireless Zero settings in the services.

5 Posts

August 1st, 2019 13:00

Hello,

I believe Dell recycled the model number on it as it is less than 6 weeks old. The only adapters are the standard wireless and Ethernet adapters. There is also no reference to the mobile device anywhere in the device manager that I have found so far.

August 2nd, 2019 07:00

Hi cajunone,

The given are the steps you can try to disable the mobile broadband service.

If those steps are not working, we cannot turn off the mobile broadband Mini card alone.

August 15th, 2019 12:00

What does even mean?

"The given are the steps you can try to disable the mobile broadband service." 

Were there supposed to be instructions attached?

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

August 16th, 2019 08:00

E5400 is not the same as the new 5400 https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/latitude-5400-business-laptop/spd/latitude-14-5400-laptop

You wrote E5400.

You have the 5400 which is a newer and different laptop.

Hence the confusion.

You need Dell Wireless 5820e Intel XMM 7360 Firmware and GNSS Driver 

under Modem/Communication category

14 Posts

August 19th, 2019 15:00

Not to hijack the thread, but I just set up a new Latitude 5400 and I'm getting this same message at login after boot. I've run Dell Command Update and installed the latest - no help. There is no Broadband card in the system (BIOS "Cellular Device" = none).

1 Message

September 13th, 2019 14:00

same here... 

2 Posts

September 25th, 2019 01:00

Can also confirm same issue experienced here.

Drivers were installed using Dells CAB driver pack version A00. (The latest CAB at the time of packaging in SCCM.)

I've since checked the CAB listing and it appears that Dell has released an updated version which includes changes to the "Dell Wireless 5820e Intel XMM 7360 Firmware and GNSS Driver". I believe this was the culprit as the updated driver pack does not appear to have the same issue.

To anyone still having this issue from an install using CAB drivers, try using the latest CAB driver pack:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/how16934/latitude-5400-windows10-driver-pack?lang=en

5 Posts

October 15th, 2019 14:00

fiveoFL - Good Stuff!! That totally worked for me. Thanks for the assist. 

No Events found!