Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2021 08:00

Latitude 5420 - second screen resolution issues DP-USBC connection

Hello,

I have problem with my Dell Latitude 5420 I want to connect it to external screen (Acer XB280HK) using DP - USB C cable ( USB-C Display-Port 4K 60HZ Thunderbolt 3.0) . The problem is that when I do so the max resolution I get on Acer screen is 640x480. I check the connection with different laptop (Lenovo) and it worked. I then check my Dell Laptop and connected it to Dell P2419 (using the same cable as for acer screen) and it worked just fine. I check the device manager and second screen is listed as Digital Flat Panel (640x480 60Hz)

So I checked the screen with other laptop and it worked and I check the DP-USB C cable with other screen and it worked as well.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 2nd, 2021 09:00

@PatrickStar0  Sounds like you might be dealing with a very strange interoperability problem that only gets triggered with specific combinations of equipment.  I just encountered a problem like that when my wife got a new Mac and docking station.  It didn't output her displays properly, even though four other laptops worked fine with that setup, and her Mac worked when I tried a different docking station, and her Mac and docking station both worked fine when I tried different displays.  I only had a problem specifically with her Mac, her new docking station, and her displays.  So you might want to just try another brand of USB-C to DP cable.  I realize that shouldn't be necessary, but not everything in tech that SHOULD work always DOES work.  For what it's worth, I've had consistently good luck with Cable Matters cables, including their USB-C to DP cables.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 4th, 2021 08:00

@PatrickStar0 Try fully uninstalling the Intel Graphics drivers under Programs and Features and then reinstalling them. And then is 640x480 the ONLY resolution available for you to choose in Windows Display Settings? Is that also true in Intel Graphics Command Center? Intel GPUs have supported 4K for almost a decade now, and the Xe GPU you have can support up to 8K.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@PatrickStar0  I suggested completely uninstalling the existing drivers and then reinstalling them. That isn’t quite the same as updating. And I suggested that you check available options under Windows Display Settings and Intel Graphics Command Center, regardless of the device name you’re seeing. Did you actually do that?

@jphughan when the problem came up I first try to update the drivers. I don't know why but for some reason my laptop recognize the screen as Digital Flat Panel 640x480 and not as for example generic PnP Monitor 

Hello @jphughan thank you for the advice,

I tried with another cable but it not resolved my issue.

1 Message

February 17th, 2022 19:00

hi all, am facing the same issue as PatrickStar.

By chance have anyone found the solution to this? i've tried rolling back the driver and installing the latest one, but problem is not solved. the Usb C - DP cable is working perfectly on my other laptop expect this. 

1 Message

February 21st, 2022 23:00

I have the same issue. Latitude 5420 using USB C to DisplayPort cable only offers 640x480 as output resolution on my Acer XB280HK UHD monitor. The same monitor and cable support 3840 x 2040 when I connect a Lenovo laptop. 

No Events found!