Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

3 Posts

June 27th, 2019 08:00

E6540 Power Switch Replace

3 Posts

June 27th, 2019 08:00

Lately the power switch in the upper right corner on my E6540 Latitude is starting to sink down into the case. I am curious how it is mounted and how much of a job and cost to replace it. Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 28th, 2019 04:00

@futs wrote:

Lately the power switch in the upper right corner on my E6540 Latitude is starting to sink down into the case. I am curious how it is mounted and how much of a job and cost to replace it. Thank you.

@futs the power button is part of the palmrest assembly and cant be purchased separately. The cost of the repair will vary depending on the type of palmrest you have installed i.e if it also has a smart card and fingerprint reader and your location in the world. The type of service you require will also define the cost if you require an engineer to fit it.

Here's a link to the service manual to give you an idea of whats involved in replacing the palmrest - https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ie/en/iebsdt1/latitude-e6540-laptop/late6540_om/removing-the-palmrest-assembly?guid=guid-2f11f0b8-dc30-4cfb-9ae9-f025fb81b370&lang=en-us

I'll drop you a private message for your tag and country location.

Alan

4 Posts

February 17th, 2021 08:00

I know: this thread is a bit older, but I now have the same problem with the power button on my E6540: it has sunk into the case and does not spring back.
@Dell-Alan D
Your instructions for replacement unfortunately don't cover the power button near the display on the right rear, only the palm rest to the front area.
Can the power button or just its return spring be replaced separately? Or is it fixed to the motherboard?

4 Posts

February 18th, 2021 07:00

btw

2 Posts

April 13th, 2021 09:00

I had the same problem with power button. The spring got lost when I was replacing a part.

Tried to replace the spring with an usual pen spring, but that does not seem to work pretty well.

Looking at the keyboard it seems to me that inside the keyboard the button spring system seems to be made some sort of rubber material.

Maybe something like that would be a better suit as well for the power button. 

2 Posts

April 14th, 2021 10:00

I was adviced by parts-people.com, the power button does not have a spring, it is scr*wed onto the palmrest:

2 Posts

May 18th, 2022 08:00

I went to the link you posted but message says it's no longer available. I have the same issue & like to repair my Power Button. Everything else continues to function properly.

TU,

FinnAgain

2 Posts

May 18th, 2022 09:00

the link will not open all table of contents so I can see what I need to do. While not being a geek, I'm still hoping I can follow directions. I've signed in to your Dell community & found my Service Tag. . Can you make this info available to me?

1 Message

October 15th, 2023 18:08

Regarding the power pushbutton being recessed. On my Dell Latitude E6540 the power pushbutton is in the upper rpight corner just below the right display hinge. the pushbutton is soldered to the motherboard and functions ok. The problem is it is compressed and needs a spring or foam spacer under the pb cap.

Any ideas what to use.? if the spring tension is too strong the button will always be pressed.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 13th, 2024 08:32

I found a solution to the problem: I was able to stabilize the broken button again using a safety pin (I cut off the head of the safety pin with side cutters) and some hot glue. See pictures. The necessary minimal torsion (twistability) is replaced by rotation. The hot glue may only be applied selectively to ensure that it remains rotatable. (See pictures). It is also important that the rubber buffer under the button is present and intact so that the button is not pushed too far. In order to use this workaround, the laptop must of course be dismantled, which is a time-consuming process.

I have inserted three images here (with the button "Insert image"), but after clicking the Post-button they are not visible. Perhaps a moderator have to unchain the pictures.

Michael

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 17th, 2024 17:10

@E6540Dell

How can my pictures that I uploaded in my post be activated? See the last post in this topic.
I see that your pictures can be seen here, so in principle you can upload pictures.
No Events found!