Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2016 14:00

Dell Insprion 11 3162 Memory Upgrade

Bought a 11 3162 in Feb 2016, only has 2GB RAM, my bad, bought a 4GB card from Dell. Remove the case and battery, can't see any part remotely close to what they sent me. Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2016 16:00

There are two different versions of this model - one comes with a hard drive and has a memory socket that will take up to a 4G soDIMM.

Yours is the 2G version that comes with an embedded solid state drive (eMMC) -- that one ships with 2G of RAM and has no memory socket (the memory is soldered to the mainboard and there is no way to upgrade it).

Whoever recommended the memory module you purchased either didn't know that, or didn't look up your system details, but one way or another you're stuck with 2G.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2016 14:00

The memory module is right amidship next to the hard drive.  It has two spring-loaded clips -- one on each side.  Move those aside and the module will pop out.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the reply, here is what mine looks like.

3 Posts

April 27th, 2016 13:00

EJN63

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Amazing the number of Dell Tech Support people I talked to giving each the Service Tag number and Express Service Code.

Again thank for your help.

Bob Myers

1 Message

September 18th, 2017 15:00

I also purchased a Dell 11 3162 with only 2GB fixed memory. No slot. I called Dell technical support within the 30 days to see what could be done. Initially they had no idea of what I was talking about. By the time we had convinced them it was 42 days. Dell says I could not return it as it was now more then 30 Days, even though I went thru the proper channels. They wont even refund my payment of technical support. The computer is usless

No Events found!