Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2015 15:00

vga monitor connect to laptop

how would I connect a vga monitor to my inspiron n7010 in order just to test that the monitor is operative?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 21st, 2015 02:00

Hi Airwilly,

Yes, toggle FN + F8 to get display back on the laptop screen.

Click start & in the search box type power options & open the power options Window. Choose the option to do nothing to get display on the monitor when the lid is closed.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 20th, 2015 02:00

HI Airwilly,

Welcome to the Community forum.

Connect the monitor to the VGA port on the system. Press FN + F8 for on the laptop keyboard to get display on the monitor.

Reply if you need further help.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2015 11:00

It works...however, how can I keep the display on the monitor when I close the laptop screen?

21 Posts

March 20th, 2015 15:00

To get  back to the laptop display do I just toggle the FN + F8 ?

1 Message

March 20th, 2015 17:00

I have tried to connect an external monitor to my Dell Inspiron Laptop 8 and  I went into control panel etc. I could get two monitors to show but I was told I needed a box shaped object to make it work. Can anyone help. I have a hook up to monitor that is A-SUB and to the laptop HDMI. Is this not going to work?

21 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 16:00

This did not seem to work for me.

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 14:00

Here are the steps that I followed which worked:

1. Click "Start"
  2. In the Search Box type: "power options"
  3. Open Power Options window
  4. Look to the left and find like to what to do when lid is closed
  5. Choose option to do nothing while it's plugged in...leave the battery option as "sleep"

This will allow you to close your laptop lid after you transfer your image to the external monitor by pressing FN + F8.

No Events found!