Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2010 16:00

scan document for pdf file

I have a HP Scanjet 5370C for a period of time. I am trying to scan doucment and want to save into a pdf file. Now, I can only save the scan documents into a jpeg file or bmp file  but  not pdf file. Can anyone tell me how I can save it in a pdf file? In that case, my scan documents can be clearly view when printed.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 18th, 2010 16:00

You can't scan and save directly to a PDF file.

What you want requires a two step process -- scan and use of optical character recognization OCR software to convert to text. Once you have the document in text you can save it as PDF.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 18th, 2010 17:00

You don't need OCR software -- the scanner should have an application that allows direct scan to PDF -- both my Canon scanners do, as have other HP scanners I've used.  Alternatively, you can acquire the image using Word (there should be a TWAIN driver installed for the scanner - you should see "Acquire Image" under File in Word.  Once that's done, you can print the page to a PDF (if you don't have it, download a copy of the Cute PDF writer, which is free and installs as a printer driver).

Most newer scanners even have a single-button scan to pdf that automatically activates the companion software on the PC.

6 Posts

what do you mean by OCR software? Is it the driver of the scanner? The problem is that after I scan the document, it looks like I can only save as a jpeg file and not a text file. How do I get the OCR software? can I download for free?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

There are a couple of free OCR programs again. GIve them a try.

http://download.cnet.com/FreeOCR/3000-10743_4-10717191.html

No Events found!