Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

5 Posts

November 7th, 2006 15:00

microphone not working

hey all,

i am assuming the new xps laptops come with a built in microphone. I installed skype and am trying to use it but i cant seem to figure out why i cant get any audio input. Any ideas? Is there just not a built in microphone or is their a setting off somewhere?

63 Posts

November 7th, 2006 23:00

Well you know what they say about when you assume? :P

Which computer did you get? The M1210 has the built in mic as an option.....the M1710 doesnt come with a built in mic at all. I don't know about the M2010.

Message Edited by snowman81 on 11-07-2006 07:22 PM

5 Posts

November 8th, 2006 01:00

I have the 1210 and was just reading my invoice, the only thing that looks like it could be it is the intergrated sound blaster. I just dont remember seeing it as an option when i bought the comp, cause i would have added it as an accessory.

oh well.

thanks for the tip!

143 Posts

November 8th, 2006 02:00

The M2010 has a built in mic that behaves very strangely with Yahoo IM and Skype.  If anyone has M2010 mic problems, I will go into details when necessary.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2006 13:00

I even tried to use just the internal dell recorder and that didnt seem to work either said it was recording but it never played back. any thoughts on what to do?

thanks!

63 Posts

November 8th, 2006 15:00

@jamaj79 wrote:
I even tried to use just the internal dell recorder and that didnt seem to work either said it was recording but it never played back. any thoughts on what to do?

thanks!

Did you get the web cam in the lid of your M1210....the mic only comes with the web cam.

November 22nd, 2006 11:00

As with most mic outlets, even though there is NO internal mic on the 1710, the mic port still receives and records audio as if there was. It's not the recommended method of recording audio, as the source has to be so loud it shakes your windows. But for what it's worth, it does record.

Get a mic! Shure makes some broadcast quality mics, otherwise, you'll be aight with a 10$ mic from walmart. :)

2 Posts

November 27th, 2006 10:00

That's interesting. I have the XPS M2010 with the camera but cannot find any internal mic. However, using two different known good external mics I get no response.

The Sound Hardware Wizard doesn't get any response, although the SigmaTel Audio applet shows an external mic is connected.

Is there perhaps a driver issue here? - I can't see where.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2006 13:00

Can you please expand on the M2010 mike behaviour? I can only get it to work with the Sound Hardware Wizard open - and then not with Skype.

I was told by Dell that it didn't have a built in mike with the camera, but after problems with an external mike and unplugging it, I got the most awful feedback from what turned out to be an internal mike! Still doesn't work, though.

Regards

March 9th, 2007 21:00

I can't get the line in to work at all on my M2010. It detects it, but won't work. I tried the Windows test, it didn't detect any sound. Everything else sounds fine.
Just checked Windows Recorder, it works with that.

Message Edited by wrenchmonkey57 on 03-09-2007 05:11 PM
No Events found!