Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

8 Posts

September 4th, 2006 06:00

laptop not charging, but light on adapter on

My battery is not charging, but I think the adapter is still fine though because the adapter light is still coming on?  Any ideas why this is happening?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 4th, 2006 09:00

Model? Age?

29 Posts

September 4th, 2006 14:00

Test the power supply with a multimeter and see if you get the voltage. Middle point +, and side -.

If that's fine then probably battery.

2 Intern

• 

3.9K Posts

September 4th, 2006 14:00

I see 3 possibilities:

#1  Break in the wire between the A/C adapter & the plug for the system.

#2  Failed battery  (They are a consumable item, life about 500 discharge/recharge cycles, hence the 1 year warranty)

#3  Motherboard failure of the charging circuit

8 Posts

September 4th, 2006 16:00

It's a 4-year old inspiron 4150.

8 Posts

I'm not sure that it's the battery, because my computer is not only not charging the battery, but it's also not using the adapter as the main power source even though it's plugged into an outlet and the light is on.

8 Posts

With my plug, there is one in the center and two below to the sides.  So is the center point still + and the side points both -?

26 Posts

September 15th, 2006 22:00

Hey man check out this link. for pics of this procedure.
Remove the C panel on the inspiron .
       remove the nIC.
              remove the black plastic under the NIC
                               LOok for wear on the C639 chip
If u see wear on tha chip ,the article is probly relevant
The case pushes on it screwing up  tha mB apparently.
I get no Leds, no fan no nothing
Dell really  makes me mad sometimes
Every1 should get a  for recall going on these things
A client of mine has the same issue.
                       tha good D.r.

26 Posts

September 18th, 2006 18:00

I'd check it anyway if your'e not under warrantee.  takes 5 minutes. Under the C panel . under tha rubber, C639 chip, look for wear.  be4 u dish out 4 bills on a mobo. Rollie's  going around  hitting my threads so , unfortunately for all inspiron owners, i might be on to something. all i know is my company's purchase of 70 notebooks will not be from dell. GL. and  think outside the boXX ,tha Dr

26 Posts

oops forgot to mention that  the article was relevant to my inspiron 1150. so who knows  what other inspiron  models its related to. 4$ and  10 minutes of careful soldering and my inspiron is back to normal. No  new mobo required.  Dr

2.2K Posts

All,

The link posted by drstryfe concerns the Inspiron 5100 and does not apply to the Inspiron 4150. The two units use completely different hardware, and the same problems do not apply to both.

Unfortunately, this does appear to be a motherboard failure.
No Events found!