Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

March 31st, 2005 19:00

is a pentium 4 mobile cpu faster than a pentium M cpu ?if so....

im wondering if a pentium mobile 4 cpu is faster than a intel pentium M cpu if so by how much or in what area is it or is it not faster as im looking to get a mobil notebook but im not sure what cpu i want in my note book

oh also can i get the pros and cons of each cpu ..such as what runs hotter what needs more power to run and so on...

here are 2 cpus to use for comparison.

thanks again!

Intel® Pentium® M processor 760 90 nm 2MB L2 2 GHz 533 MHz

VS

Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 552 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology 90 nm 1MB L2 3.46 GHz533 MHz

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 31st, 2005 20:00

The P-M is a more efficient CPU - a 1.8 GHz P-M will run with a 2.8 GHz P4.

Cons of the P-M - more expensive.

Cons of the mobile P4 - much higher power consumption, shorter battery life, more heat, likely shorter component lifetime (many Mobile P4 systems - not just Dells - have had major overheating issues, which shortens the life of everything in the system).

303 Posts

March 31st, 2005 20:00

well hyper threading technology has been discontinued, so with that said, centrino's are the way to go...

1.2K Posts

April 1st, 2005 01:00

Pros of the P4: CPU speeds of up to 3.8GHz available, the 600 series has a 2MB Level 2 cache, Windows XP Pro x64 is soon to be released and the P4 CPU is available in 64-bit versions right now to run it and the new 64-bit games and applications soon to follow. Battery life is shorter than with a throttled down PM but a PM cannot hang with the raw numbers crunching power of a high speed P4.

Bottom line is if you need to run off batteries for hours and hours you might consider getting something with the PM CPU.  I personally view a battery as something that can be used to backup files in the event of a power failure. A system will run slower off battery power than A/C anyway.

Read all about the line of Intel CPUs at www.intel.com and the upcoming release of Win XP Pro x64 at www.microsoft.com and decide for yourself.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2005 11:00

Having purchased a p4 3.4ghz laptop I wish I had waited a while for the higher speed pent mobile, the newer 2.4 ghz mobile is supposed to be comparible for gaming and general use than the 3.4ghz.

Also the heat out put from my laptop is massive. 
No Events found!