Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

March 6th, 2004 16:00

inspiron laptop won't turn on anymore

My laptop won't turn on anymore. It's not the battery because it doesn't even work with the AC adapter. I thought it was the adapter, but a friend with a similar laptop used my adapter and it worked fine. I guess this means the power supply of the laptop is broken? Is this a common thing, and how much can it cost to get fixed ? My laptop is just out of warranty :( Someone please let me know the steps needed to isolate the problem so I can get it fixed. I could be wrong, so is there any more tests I can perform?

9 Posts

March 6th, 2004 20:00

the same thing happened to me today.. i called tech support and i was asked to ship the laptop to DELL for repair

before shipping they asked me to try reseting the laptop (1. remove battery and uplug ac adapter, 2. hold on to the power key for about 10 seconds, 3. plug in ac adapter (without battery) and check if it turns on) !

my laptop did not turn on on reseting..

10 Posts

March 7th, 2004 23:00

I forgot to mention that its a 4150. I also have a 4100 whos battery works fine on the broken 4150. Also I am using the 4100  to charge the battery of the broken 4150 and its working without any problems. Anyone have any answers to my question about how much it would cost to repair? A laptop without AC power is pretty useless :( I would take it apart and repair it myself if I knew which part to buy and replace.

5 Posts

March 8th, 2004 17:00

Hi: where you able to fix this problem? The exact same thing happened to me this weekend. When I try to turn the laptop on, nothing happens. It is like dead. I have an Inspiron 5000.

Thanks,

Veronika

10 Posts

March 9th, 2004 00:00

nope I haven't fixed it, nor have I narrowed down the problem. Looking through other posts it seems this happens often and is usually fixed by dell replacing the motherboard. I guess it's a defect dell forgot to mention when I bought it. I wish a moderator would atleast tell me which part is broken even if it's the whole motherboard!

2.6K Posts

March 9th, 2004 17:00

sdlled,

It sounds like the problem your computer is experiencing is caused by a motherboard issue.
You can contact us in regards to an out of warranty repair.

3 Posts

March 11th, 2004 11:00

Seems to me that this is not an isolated issue, I have been trying to get ahold of the tech support for days now, with out any resolution. My laptop will no longer power on, it worked fine that saturday morning....

Has anyone gotten any solutions to this yet?

9 Posts

March 11th, 2004 17:00

i had shipped the laptop for repair to DELL on Tuesday evening, it got back to me repaired by Thursday morning...

they havent replaced any parts... this is what they say the problem was: "Cleaned and unclogged heat sink for overheating system, conducted all tests, the unit is fine". my guess is that there was some dust/carpet fiber collected on the fan that was causing the problem... the only way this could have happened is --- the day before the laptop went dead, i was working on a project with the laptop's base on my carpet floor... since inspiron's(and most other laptops) have their fans in the base, it seems that some of the carpet material and/or dust should have gotten into the fan case and clogged it...

my cause of the problem is most likely an isolated case... however, just look at the fan to see if there isnt any dust/carpet fiber clogging it.... keep in mind that there are other reasons for this to happen (like mother board issues, ram seating etc)..

5 Posts

March 11th, 2004 23:00

Corey: What is a "Mother board" issue?? Can you be more specific?

Thank you,

Veronika

14 Posts

March 15th, 2004 16:00

Chances are your motherboard could be faulty, my 5100 did the same thing, and Dell came out and replaced it, and it has worked flawlessly since.  try contacting dell support via online, thats what i did, and they responded very quickly.

good luck

10 Posts

March 15th, 2004 19:00

i emailed dell and haven't gotten a response after like 3 business days. I didn't even get an automated message if they sent one. I wander how long it takes them to reply.

14 Posts

March 16th, 2004 15:00

Sorry to hear its taking so long.  I dont know what to tell you, as I think they responded late the same day, or first thing on the second day, i dont rememeber exactly, but they were very quick with me.

10 Posts

March 18th, 2004 02:00

waiting...

3 Posts

March 24th, 2004 12:00

Ok, so I sent it into Dell last week for repair, they replaced the system board and updated the BIOS, sent it back, I tried it and it still does not work. So they want it again, if they field tesed it, shouldn't it of worked when I got it back?

14 Posts

March 24th, 2004 15:00

Yeah, you would think that they would test it before sending back to you.  After my board was replaced, it has worked perfect since then.  Sorry to hear your still having problems.

10 Posts

March 24th, 2004 16:00

sorry to hear that, but atleast your still not waiting for a response. What is it, two weeks now?
No Events found!