Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2017 03:00

XPS 15 9550 - Large amount of hardware reserved RAM

Like the title suggests I'm having an issue where a large amount of my systems RAM is hardware reserved, making performance noticeably worse .

A quick google of the issue suggests some bios options which I simply can't see and unchecking a box in msconfig, something that was already done. All drivers + bios are up to date and windows is updated aswell as being freshly installed about 1 week ago, the issue turning up two night ago

The specs, if relevant, I'll include below

Dell XPS 15 9550

• i7 6700HQL
  • 32GB DDR4 (2333Mhz iirc) *As ordered from factory
  • GTX 960m 2gb
  • iTB M.2 SSD (Liteon branded)
  • 64bit windows 10

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 20th, 2017 08:00

The two systems I have checked show around 100 MB of memory used for hardware.  The mouse over says the hardware amount is for Bios and some peripherals.

If you had shared video memory, that is where I would expect to see the most memory used but nothing like you are seeing.  Does the Resource Monitor memory listings give any clue?  That is such a large number, if it was listed, it should stand out.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 20th, 2017 14:00

Correction: Actually you have the opposite problem.  The other thread I linked has 25.4 GB usable (which is still a lot less than would normally be expected), whereas you seem to have 25.4GB reserved, implying only 6.6 GB usable?  That's too convenient to be a coincidence, but I'd at least recommend reading through that thread and trying some of the suggestions there, especially if you added 32GB of aftermarket memory rather than ordering it from Dell with 32GB installed from the factory.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 20th, 2017 14:00

Same issue with this same system was just recently reported in another thread; may want to jump into that one instead: en.community.dell.com/.../20024442

2 Posts

November 20th, 2017 20:00

I've already had a look at that thread and nothing mentioned there helped. It's a strange issue

Everything about this system is as I got it from factory

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 20th, 2017 20:00

If this is as it came from the factory, then you probably have some bad memory.  If you're comfortable opening the system up, it might be interesting to see what happens when each DIMM is installed separately, but having 25.4 GB worth of memory walled off from your use is obviously completely unacceptable, and I don't think there's a software fix here.  I'd call Dell.

No Events found!