Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2010 19:00

When will Studio XPS 16 have USB 3.0

Hello to everyone,

I am determined to buy a studio xps 16. The only thing I'm waiting for is the USB 3.0 port.

When can I expect USB 3.0 on the Studio XPS 16? Can other improvements be expected in the near future? What and when?

Thank you for your time

Regards

nones

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 13th, 2010 04:00

Intel won't be supporting USB 3.0 until 2011.  Dell may add a controller chip to the successor model before then, but only time will tell.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2010 03:00

You're asking for a consumer-level feature (USB 3.0) and business class features (matte screen, matte finish case) in the same system.  You'll be waiting a while for that.  Business-class machines will get USB 3.0 after consumer-class systems - and since showroom shine often determines consumer purchase at Best Buy, PC Richard, etc. I doubt you'll see a return to conservative styling and matte screens in consumer level systems.

What you're looking for is probably best represented in a Latitude E6510 -- install an Express Card USB 3 controller and you will be all set.

4 Posts

September 13th, 2010 23:00

Dear ejn63,

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Another feature many prospective customers would like to see is a non-glossy surface of the machine (to avoid leaving fingerprints) and a non-glossy display, 
(which IMO is better for well-lit places and outside).Can we expect a Studio XPS 16 to be less glossy in the future and when?

I am also worried that any successor model will be missing some of the I/O ports of Studio XPS 16, the display quality or another valuable feature.

So by waiting (until 2011) I may miss the opportunity to buy this state-of-the-art laptop.

Can you give me any advice?

nones

4 Posts

September 14th, 2010 06:00

Thank you again for your immediate reply. (How do you have time to reply promptly to all inquiries with everything you have to cope with there at Dell, I'm wondering!)

Anyway, Latitude E6510 lags behind Studio XPS 16 in specs. I don't classify laptops as business and consumer models. I'm looking for a machine to respond to a variety of applications and the XPS 16 is the one.

Your suggestion about the Express Card USB 3 controller was very helpful. Can I install the same on the XPS Studio 16  (in this case I'll buy it and will tolerate the shining surfaces :)

nones

No Events found!