Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2016 08:00

Weird Lines and color changes suddenly appear on screen. What's happening?

Over the past month my laptop's Dell Vostro 2420 has been behaving weirdly at times. Sudden pink and grey lines suddenly appear and cover the entire area of the screen, generally when I am not plugged in. Sometimes the lines automatically disappear after a while, then sometimes it persists and then disappears when I restart. This problem started after I upgraded to Windows 10 and appeared when it had a minor fall. The laptop works fine 99% of the time and usually those line appear only after several days. I did upgrade the RAM and made it 6GB but it caused no problem while in windows 8.1. I have upgraded all the drivers as well. Does anyone have any idea as to what has happened with the device?

Here is what it looks like while using MS-Word. 

Here are the CPU-Z details:

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 30th, 2016 07:00

Hi Rocknir,

Thanks for posting.

Intermittent issues are always difficult to diagnose.  First suggestion would be to contact Dell Tech Support and troubleshoot with them.  If you don't want to do that or are out of warranty, you may wish to either purchase a Tech Support through our Out of Warranty department, or contact a local computer repair shop.

But with that being said, does this occur only on battery, or does it happen while on AC power?  Since it is so intermittent, it may be more of a hardware issue rather than a driver issue.  Could have knocked one of the circuits loose when the "minor fall" occurred.

Post back if you need additional assistance so the experts here can answer.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!