Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

June 19th, 2004 16:00

Very very dark screen!!!

Hi there,

I have an Inspiron 8200, which is about 3 years old. Recently the screen has started to "black out". It can be while I'm working on the machine and sometimes it doesn't even come on properly when I start up. Usually the screen starts after several attempts at rebooting. I am now in a situation where I can't get the screen to work at all after restarting the laptop at least 20 times!!

You can still vaguely see the images on the screen but it is very dark.

Please let me know if you've encountered this problem and what I could do about it.

Thanks very much

106 Posts

June 19th, 2004 22:00

Yeah, know exactly what it is.  See my post "LCD Display" several down from yours.  Your backlight or inverter has gone bad.  Most likely the inverter from your description.  I have the same problem.  Been searching all day for a supplier.  Found several, but none that match my screen.  You must know who made your screen, what model # it is and since you will have the display out, you can see the maker and model number of your inverter.  These much match exactly or your display may not work. 

You can always double check if it is the display by hooking it up to an external monitor, if everything is good, then it is safe to assume one of the two items mentioned above is bad.  If you still have a problem, it could be the video board or motherboard. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2004 22:00

June 20th, 2004 10:00

Thanks very much for that.

I'm actually in the UK so I'll have to try to find a supplier here.

Thanks again

June 20th, 2004 11:00

do you know where the inverter is?

I've opened up the laptop now and the service manual does not specify the location of the backlight inverter.

Is it behind the screen itself or on the mainboard?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 20th, 2004 13:00

It is usually right at the bottom of the screen itself, behind the faceplate.

106 Posts

June 20th, 2004 13:00

If you private message me with your email, I will send you a two pictures of my display, completely out of the notebook.  You can easily see the inverter, it is the small green circuit board with the brown circuit ribbon going into it. 

No Events found!