Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

October 9th, 2006 23:00

Vertical Line on Monitor

I have a Dell 9300 notebook. I've noticed that there is a visible vertical line on the right hand side of the display. The line appears to be blue in color. The top half of the line is visible at all times whereas the bottom half of the line is only visible with certain display backgrounds. It appears as if I lost a whole row of pixels. I experimented by changing the monitor resolution but the line did no go away. I also plugged in an external 17" CRT monitor into the laptop video output, and the line was not reproduced on the CRT monitor. I assume that this indicates that it is not a video card problem. I’ve ran the PSA diagnostics but came up with nothing. Have I really lost a row of pixels or can the problems be something else? The notebook is about 18 months old so the warranty has expired. Thanks ahead of time for help anyone can give me on this issue.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2006 14:00

Unfortuately, such faults require replacing the panel.

10 Posts

October 10th, 2006 15:00

That's what I was afraid of. Fortunately it's only one row of pixels so I can live with this problem. Hopefully it won't get any worse. Any idea what LCD panel replacement costs?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2006 22:00

Depending on the size and resolution, between $300-500.

1.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2006 01:00

Before you invest in an external monitor check out www.parts-people.com for a replacement screen.  Weigh the cost of the replacement against the price of a new monitor.   At Parts People I was surprised to find replacement displays for my notebook for under $200. It's not that hard to replace it yourself using the Dell furnished online how-to guides.

Of course, if you just like the idea of the larger display then go for it.

10 Posts

October 22nd, 2006 01:00

Since my laptop is rarely moved, as a partial solution and enhancement, I am considering buying a large (22-inch) external monitor such as the new Viewsonic VX2235WM. What I don't know is whether my laptop will support this monitor's maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050? What I have is an Inspiron 9300 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300. Thanks for any input on this!!!

10 Posts

October 22nd, 2006 04:00

Thanks for the info. I am sure that "parts-people" will be a very valuable outfit for me in the future. They list a lot of 17" LCDs for my laptop, but only one is in stock for $330. The LCD screen must be a very popular repair item. I can't justify spending that kind of money since my screen is really not that bad. However, I do like the idea of a larger screen, but as indicated in my previous thread don't know if my laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon X300 can accommodate the 1680 x 1050 resolution? Hopefully somebody here has this information.

Message Edited by jk9300 on 10-22-2006 12:12 AM

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2006 13:00

hey, my notebook (inspiron | 510m) LCD screen also have the same dotted vertical line. Don't know why it increased from 1 to 5 lines now.
It normally start with green dotted line then blue then later red (base on white background). It is always there in my screen event when i just start my computer, i try print screen but it doesn't show in it, is is the screen itself have problem rite?
Do anyone know what happen to my screen?
Thanks

November 21st, 2006 17:00

This is the purple line of death.  Dell has not yet officially admitted to this problem (as far as I know), but it is widespread and affects several laptops (mine is a 9300).  The symptoms show up at about 18 months then get progressively worse.  For more info see:
http://forums.devshed.com/computer-hardware-103/single-pixel-lines-in-dell-inspiron-screen-382937.html?pp=15
(the thread currently goes on for 5 pages)

One hopes Dell will do the right thing and replace defective displays even when out of warranty (since the problem appears to be the result of defective materials, workmanship or design).  A few people have found the right person at Dell or told the right story to get free out of warranty replacement, but so far Dell seems mostly not to care how many customer they will lose by not taking responsibility for selling defective screens (I've been on the phone 4 hours now being routed endlessly to from one department to another or disconnected while waiting on transfer). 

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2006 02:00

Thank you for the info.  That was a very informative website.  I would appreciate hearing more from you as to whether you were able to resolve this problems with Dell.

November 22nd, 2006 20:00

I haven't managed to find the right pony on Dell's customer service carousel even though I spent a total of 5 hours time being routed through an endless maze of incorrect transfers and disconnects.  Dell is now promising someone will call me after Thanksgiving.                                         

The 13th person I talked to (not kidding – I keep a log) even offered me a $100 bribe coupon to go away (it's called "a concession for a bad cust exp" - ask for it by name at dell customer care).  I didn't take the bribe because it will cost $500 (about the cost of a new comparably equipped laptop) to replace the display. 

As a renegade physicist and retired microprocessor applications engineer I can say that the widespread onset of consistent symptoms at about 18 months is a classic sign of failure due to defective materials, manufacturing process or design. Dell needs to take responsibility for this issue and, at a minimum, officially admit to having sold a bad batch of displays and offer to replace any that fail in this manner for free.  If the problem is not restricted to a bad batch or two but is in fact due to defective design (which can happen) Dell should admit that and recall the affected displays to be replaced with a more reliable display.

I’m sure Dell will lose a lot of business from folks like me if they don’t at responsibly (which, unfortunately, it seems they are currently disinclined to do).  I repair computers here in the WV outback and take care of the tech needs for several environmental groups, so my opinion influences purchase decisions for many more people than myself. 

Of course, if Dell continues to ignore the issue there are numerous online rating services where folks can leave reviews warning anyone considering purchasing a Dell laptop that they should either purchase the extended warranty and plan on sending their laptop in for a screen replacement every year and a half, or buy something else…

6 Posts

December 7th, 2006 17:00

There are lots of people with this 'purple line of death'. Go to dellverticalline.com and register your screens defect. Dell will have to take notice when they see so many people have this exact same problem, and hopefully do the right thing.

6 Posts

December 7th, 2006 18:00

Good, we need to get as many cases registered there as we can. Dell will end up loosing out more on future business than they would if they just replaced the screens. I know I won't be going back to Dell again if this isn't resolved soon.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2006 18:00

Thanks for the info.  I went to the website and registered my case.  It'll be interesting to see if Dell takes notice of this.  If not, no more Dell computers for me.

December 27th, 2006 01:00

OK IM TIRED OF THIS VERTICAL LINES, A WEEK AGO THIS VERTICAL LINE CAME UP, AND NOW I HAVE ANOTHER LINE, I CALLED THEM BEFORE THE FIRST CAME AND THEY JUST SAY SORRY YOU CAN BUY A WARRANTY AND STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SCREEN OR GO TO A LOCAL COMPUTER SHOP AND HAVE THEM FIX IT "" I HAVE ALREADY PAY FOR MY LAPTOP $1200 AND I STILL OWE LIKE $1000 AND PAY $500 EXTRA? I REFUSE TO DO THAT, THEY HAVE TO FIX IT OR HAVE IT A RECALL ON THE SCREEN OR I WILL HAVE TO LOOK FOR OTHER MEANS TO HAVE THEM FIX, OR REPLACE THE SCREEN, ITS JUST LIKE THE BATTERY PROBLEMS... I WANTED TO BUY THE 12"XPS BUT AFTER THIS I DONT KNOW. HOPE THEY FIXT IT, I WILL SEND THEM MORE AND MORE EMAILS....

I WONDER IF THEY DONT FIX IT OR TAKE RESPONSABILITY, DO YOU THINK A WOULD MAKE THEM CHANGE THEIR MINDS? YOU SEE I CANT JUST STOP BUYING FROM THEM BECASUE I FINANCE MY LAPTOP.....

Message Edited by blue_night on 12-26-200609:47 PM

i send them an email and they reply this:

"Unfortunately, the service contract you purchased with the system was for one year only and expired 02/28/2006. We cannot replace the LCD for free.

The information on website you reference is erroneous. Dell policy would not allow us to ignore systemic problems. You will note there is no contact information for the website's authors or owners.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter feel free to contact me. If I do not hear from you, I will be closing this case in 24 hours; however it can easily be reopened if necessary."

Message Edited by blue_night on 01-08-200704:59 PM

I reply to them and told them to check the forums and they respond...

"Computer displays sometimes develop horizontal and vertical lines. It happens on CRTs as well as LCDs. The problem is not inherent in the Inspiron; it occurs across all brands and models. Dell tracks trends and identifies problems that are reported in Dell systems. It is in our best interest to acknowledge when a product line has a high incidence rate for a specific problem. The occurrence of this LCD problem is not statistically more frequent in Dell systems in general, nor in Inspirons specifically.

Again you are relying on spurious information from a website posted by someone unwilling to acknowledge ownership of the website."

so 1. they dont trust this forum [I added this forum so they can check that members are complaining], and 2 looks like more laptops need to break...

Message Edited by blue_night on 01-09-200712:01 PM

Message Edited by blue_night on 01-09-200712:10 PM

2 Posts

November 26th, 2007 07:00

I have been having the same issues as everyone else on this forum....and on MANY other similar forums regarding the vertical line down the screen (mine - 9300 notebook). And of course...my warrenty expired last month and this started a few days ago!!

I will say that I researched many forums for about 2 hours reading the same problems and the different responses that everyone gottan ... before I decided to do something about my problem. Boy was that the best move ever.

I called 1800 624 9896 and went through the "I'm having a problem with my computer" option. If you don't want to use that option, enter your express service code located on the bottom of your notebook. I spoke with MAE and told her about my line down the screen, my out of warrenty, and the multiple DELL forums complaining about the same problem. I also told her that I had read that Dell was fixing or replacing some, out of warrenty, LCD screens with certain lot #'s. She tried (many times) saying that she could only help with warrenty covered computers. And I would have to pay for assistance/repairs. I was very persistent that this is an ongoing problem with many other customers...dating back to 2005 with the 1st forum that I had read. And that this should have been a mandatory recall!! She put me on hold and supposedly went and looked at the forums that I was talking about. After a few minutes, she had switched her tune and said that she was going to be able to help me. She apologized and said that this IS an ongoing problem with the notebook 9200's and 9300's. She took down my info. and is sending me a box to ship my notebook to the dell depot to be fixed (which better be a new LCD screen). I'm assuming for free...but we'll see...lol. The turn around for this is 5-7 business days. I have read that even people getting the LCD screen replaced have had the line to come back within days with the new screen. So I'm hoping  and praying that mine will be fine.

I don't know if this will even fix the dang screen/line problems...that should have made a mandatory recall anyway! I just felt like I got a little further with my help....and I hope this helps someone else. It's such a headache to spend $1200-1600 on something that doesn't last like it should. I've had mine for 2yrs and a month now..and this is my 1st issue. Good luck to all. 
                                                                                                                            MS RN
No Events found!