Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2017 10:00

USB-C to HDMI not working

I have recently bought an adapter from USB-C to HDMI, VGA and AUX.  VGA and AUX work fine, but I can't seem to connect my laptop to any monitor via HDMI. I have read that this has been a widespread issue. Is there any solution?

Thanks!

44 Posts

August 24th, 2017 13:00

I'm using this particular adapter on my 9350 and it works fine:

www.amazon.co.uk/.../B00X4S5C7G

44 Posts

August 28th, 2017 04:00

If you want both in one adapter:

www.amazon.co.uk/.../B012DT6KW2

I also have this one in addition to the Cable Matters adapter and it works for me with my 9350.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 31st, 2017 01:00

In that case, a quick perusal of Amazon turns up several results, but almost none of them are from vendors that I'm familiar with, and the few exceptions are bulky and/or expensive -- so if cost trumps convenience, I would consider @sparksdls' advice above, namely buying a USB-C to VGA adapter and a USB-C to HDMI adapter as two separate devices.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 20:00

Can you share a link to the model of adapter purchased, and also what model Dell this is on? 

Best regards,

Brad

5 Posts

August 24th, 2017 00:00

Sure.

Mine is XPS 13 9350.

And the adapter I have bought is the following: www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 24th, 2017 11:00

USB-C outputs only provide native DisplayPort.  From there, it's up to the adapter to convert to another signal type if desired, such as VGA or HDMI.  That is not something that the host PC would have any control over or even be aware of.  Consequently, if VGA is working fine, that indicates that the system is providing a display output signal to the adapter, so if HDMI is the only problem, that suggests a problem with the adapter.  I suppose it could be a compatibility issue between that specific adapter and that specific PC, but I doubt it.

5 Posts

August 28th, 2017 01:00

Thank you for your help.

So, you don't think it is a problem of the laptop, rather it is of the adapter. And also, that it is unlikely to be a compatibility issue. This means that I just have to return the adapter and try another one.

I am looking for one (that works and) that has both VGA and HDMI. Any recommendation?

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 29th, 2017 09:00

Hi brezen,

Sorry for the slow reply and missing this, it looks like sparkdls and jphughan covered it though. Let us know if the adapters suggested work for you.

Guys-

Thanks so much for the help! 

Best regards,

Brad

5 Posts

August 30th, 2017 09:00

In theory I was looking for something cheaper than the dell solution. Can you recommend anything?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@brezen, what connectivity do you actually NEED from this adapter?  HDMI?  VGA?  AUX?  Ethernet?  USB 2.0?  USB 3.0? Compared to the adapter you originally bought, the DA200 mentioned above adds Ethernet and USB 3.0 (rather than 2.0), but does NOT include an AUX jack in case that's important to you. I believe it can pass audio from its HDMI output, but I haven't verified this.  If your original adapter meets your connectivity needs and desired price point, then you can always try exchanging it before investigating other options, since it's entirely possible that you simply received a defective unit rather than the adapter in question being incompatible with your laptop.

44 Posts

You want cheap, you get cheap and it may not work. Cable Matters also makes a VGA adapter and that plus the HDMI adapter of theirs are cheaper together than the Dell solution but then you have two adapters.

5 Posts

August 31st, 2017 01:00

I just need VGA and HDMI.

No Events found!