Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

March 8th, 2004 11:00

Tighten laptop lid hinge?

Hi,

My laptop lid (the screen) is getting very lose and if i rock the laptop the lid has about a 1cm sway. Is there anyway I can tighten the laptop like how it was when I first got it? I assume that something somewhere just needs to be tightened up. Thanks.

7 Posts

March 8th, 2004 13:00

i have the EXACT same problem, but my inspiron 8100 was always like that since the first day i received it.  if someone can post a link or describe (in detail if possible) how to open this thing up and tighten down whatever is inside, that would be great

TIA.

42 Posts

March 8th, 2004 20:00

same thing was told by another poster that the tightness was internal which seems dumb to me

7 Posts

March 9th, 2004 11:00

so you're saying that there's no way to fix this?

47 Posts

March 9th, 2004 18:00

I'm looking at the front of the hinges on my 8100 and I see a small round "plug" on each hinge.  I bet you can pop those plugs off and tighten an adjusting screw underneath them.

Bob

12 Posts

March 9th, 2004 19:00

Anyone want to give it a try and let us know ;)

I had a look and I also see similar hinges. I can't see anything to tighten so I guess there must be something hidden somewhere. I would really like to tighten the hinge as then the laptop will be perfect again :D

Also does anyone know of a good way to clean the screen mine has some finger marks, etc on it :(

47 Posts

I just stuck my little fingernail in the cutout on that "tab" and it hinged itself to the side.  Underneath us sure 'nuff a small phillips head screw.  'Bet that tightens it!!

Bob

7 Posts

if no one tried it by this weekend, ill pop off those lil plugs and poke around, then report back.

as far as cleaning the monitor, just wipe it down with something.  i dont really care what i use on it - usually just a damp cloth though.

12 Posts

March 9th, 2004 21:00

i will try it out later thanks all.

7 Posts

March 15th, 2004 15:00

i tried it.  it didnt work.  first of all, on my laptop (inspiron 8100), the little thing didnt "hinge over", it was just a little sticker-like thing.  and i tightened the screws, but they only seem to tight the hinge where it attaches to the screen/monitor.  i need to tighten the hinge where it attached to the bottom part of the laptop (like, the keyboard part.)

610 Posts

March 15th, 2004 20:00

On my 5150, there is a thin, long cover that goes from side to side along the top - above the keyboard. If you remove that, the hinge covers are part of that cover. The actual hinges are below that cover, and it appears that one would tighten a nut on the end of each hinge to tighten the action. That is a 5150 however, not sure if your machines have that setup or not. One thing, the screen needs to be open pretty far back to remove that long cover.

Regards,

• 

25.7K Posts

July 12th, 2020 08:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!