Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2013 12:00

The AC Power Adapter Type Cannot Be Determined - I JUST WANT TO DISABLE THIS MESSAGE

So my power cord or battery is garfunkled and it doesn't hold a charge. I use my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501) with the cable plugged in all the time. I'm perfectly happy with this and there is absolutely no way I'm paying any more for any charging equipment (battery or otherwise) when I can get a faster laptop for cheaper than the cost of the charging equipment. So I'm not going to spend any more money and I'm perfectly happy with how the laptop works.

I state this so explicitly because I've looked at well over a dozen posts in different forums on this issue and people are always trying to find solutions. I don't need a solution but when the laptop boots it stops at this error message (in the BIOS or DOS or w/e before the OS loads) until it gets some user input okaying it to continue booting.

I want to disable the message to allow the computer to boot into the OS when it is turned on. I either want the message to time out or not to appear at all. I looked in the BIOS (which is the simplest BIOS I've ever seen and has practically no options outside of boot protocol) and didn't see any options related to error messages or to ac in any way.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Let me know if I need to provide any more information.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2013 13:00

If you press F3 when you see the error, the message should be disabled.

Note:  if you disable this message, the system will run as if on battery (i.e., lowest processor speed) all the time.

6 Posts

March 19th, 2013 12:00

I tried pressing F3 and although it flashed black screens a litte differently than when I hit any key, it did NOT disabled the error message.

With regards to the system running at the lowest processor speed all the time, is that not going to happen inevitably unless I replace the battery (or charger or whatever my power issue is)? Or is there a setting I can change to allow full CPU usage even with power issues?

Thanks.

6 Posts

March 24th, 2013 19:00

So as far a dell knows there is no way to disable this message?

6 Posts

March 25th, 2013 13:00

Way to go dell....

934 Posts

March 25th, 2013 14:00

6 Posts

March 25th, 2013 15:00

Thanks. What/where is that menu? How can I get to it. Thanks.

934 Posts

March 25th, 2013 15:00

The picture I posted shows the BIOS screen of my inspiron 1545.I am not sure if the BIOS of your system has the same options.Just wanted to show you that some (all?)  Dell laptops let you enable/disable warning messages.

Press F2 at powerup and check again possible BIOS settings.....

6 Posts

March 25th, 2013 22:00

Oh, thanks. Unfortunately the Dell Inspiron 1501 BIOS has virtually no settings that can be changed beyond the boot protocol. Your post has encouraged me to update to the latest BIOS version to see if there are any more features though. Thanks for trying.

No Events found!