Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2012 13:00

Stuck in start-up repair loop after trying factory restore

So here's my problem. I will try to be as quick as possible about explaining. My Dell Inspiron laptop (Windows 7) is stuck in a continuous startup repair loop.

Last week, I thought I may have gotten a virus or spyware or something so I decided to do a factory restore. I went to Dell datasafe restore and emergency backup and chose the option for factory restore. It seemed to go through okay but then when I started back up it was stuck in a continuous startup repair loop.

In a nutshell, here's what happens when I turn it on:
the blue screen flashes very quickly, so I can't read what it says, next the screen says "Windows Error Recovery-Windows failed to start", start-up repair runs and cannot repair automatically. I click finish to restart and it starts all over in the same cycle.

I tried going to Advanced Options and doing the routine that I read on this forum about what to do in case of a start-up repair loop, but the only drivers it's saying are C, X and R. I have no clue what to do now.

Any help would be appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2012 13:00

Start by running the Dell diagnostics - make sure you run an extended hard drive test.  F12 at powerup.

It would also help to know which model system  you have if you post further.

3.8K Posts

August 13th, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you are running an extended test on your hard drive this is normal. It normally takes about 1-2 hours on an average.

Thank you.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2012 20:00

It's a Dell Premium 15.6" i15R-1002LPK Laptop with Intel Pentium P6200 Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium.

I hit f12 and ran the diagnostic, it runs for about 5 minutes and says no problems were found, then asks if I wish to do a complete scan. It says the process will take up to 30 minutes. So I select yes but the test has been running for and hour and a half, and it's still only at 5%. The bar is still moving indicating that the test is running, but it seems to be taking a longer time than it should. Is this normal?

2 Posts

August 19th, 2012 12:00

Whats up sereg I have the exact same computer and the exact same problem. It started last night and I cant figure out a way to fix it. Have you had any luck.

193 Posts

August 19th, 2012 13:00

You can try last known good and safe mode and see if it boots to those.  You can also try booting to Command Prompt and rebuilding the BCD (pcsupport.about.com/.../rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm).

Most likely after that you are betting off reinstalling the OS then trying to find and diagnosing the program.

6 Posts

August 21st, 2012 20:00

I can't get it to run the pre boot system assessment. It runs for like 1 1/2 hours and never goes beyond 5%, then the computer shuts off. I can't get it to boot to safe mode. I will try rebuilding the BCD if I can figure it out

6 Posts

August 27th, 2012 15:00

I tried rebuilding the BCD following the steps on the link above, but  after the last step it still says "successfully scanned Windows installations:0 The operation completed successfully" So should I now reinstall the OS?

6 Posts

August 27th, 2012 16:00

Just tried putting in the reinstall disk and it's not working, still just stuck in the startup repair loop.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2012 01:00

Did you fix this problem? I am having the same problem and looking for answer.

6 Posts

September 21st, 2012 09:00

No, I still havent been able to fix it :(

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 13:00

I talked Dell today and they will send USB key for reinstall OS. But from your previous comment, it did not resolve the problem?  My PC is inspiron 14Z, windows 7, I just bought it last July. My first problem has happend right after I executed windows update. After that, I have boot problem and finally tried factory resore and have a same problem with yours. When I have the first boot problm, the error message was 0x0000000A, IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL.

1 Message

September 27th, 2012 12:00

I am also having a similar issue with an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7. Tried factory reset thru dell datasafe. keep getting blue screen as windows starts up... 

1 Message

October 22nd, 2012 08:00

I have a dell inspiron N4010 with the exact same problem you have described. I haved ordered the CD from Dell and I am hoping that the disk will do the work. When I run CHKDSK in command prompt it gave a message and when I ran the advanced Dell diagnostics for 2 hours, it gave me the same message with error code 0F00: 133C "NO SUITABLE DISK MEDIA IS PRESENT". Did you have any luck fixing this problem? Any help would be appreciated.  Even after the positive diagnostics I am still skeptical if the blue screen means a bad harddrive.

1 Message

November 12th, 2012 01:00

Does anybody fix the problem. I just got the problem and got no idea to repair

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 06:00

I have the same problem. Called Dell they ran the typical tests, ( ones I already did) and found nothing wrong with it, told me its not hardware issue that my warranty covers.. sent me to software issue department. ran the tests again. and he determined he can fix it but its not covered.. I could buy their warranty for $250 which will cover me for a year for any software problems.. or pay $150 for the one time help that he could fix it.. but would not tell me what was wrong with it. I asked for the OS disk to be sent to me so I could try to do a new install from disk.. he said he could but it wouldnt help me so he wont.  I am sickened by this customer support its obviously an issue with their backup crap.. I have a win 7 disk from my sons computer and I can't even run it as when I choose boot from CD it still goes right to start up repair so I can even do that ..

No Events found!