Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2013 18:00

Revert Intel 3.0 USB drivers to Intel 2.0 drivers on Dell 7520

I own a Dell 7520 and it has four 3.0 usb ports. However, I have discovered that one program I use does not support Intel 3.0 USB ports only USB 2.0 ports. So the only port that program will use is the Realtek USB card reader on the 7520 because that is a native 2.0 port.

According to a poster Innogen on the Intel support forum "The BIOS in my Dell Inspiron 7520 allows me to disable it so that the USB 3.0 ports revert to USB 2.0 functionality." but I can't find any such functionality in my BIOS (using version A06).

http://communities.intel.com/message/170650

I tried uninstalling the Intel USB 3.0 drivers in WIn 7 Ultimate hoping that when I rebooted it would install USB 2.0 drivers but it simply reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers.

I would really like to get this program working on my computer and while I am not happy about losing USB 3.0 functionality I can live with it until the vendor gets its act together and starts to support Intel USB 3.0.

35 Posts

February 10th, 2013 19:00

I finally figured out the solution to this problem and my program now works successfully.  My mistake was that I was uninstalling the /drivers/  via the device manager and also ticking the checkbox to delete the driver software. However, this doesn't actually uninstall the software /program/ as I thought it did because the associated services are still running. Rather, there is Intel USB 3.0 program that has to be uninstalled using the Control Panel feature to uninstall programs. This will remove the associated services from Windows. Once that was done Win 7 now treats my USB ports as 2.0 without any mucking around in the BIOS or reinstalling the OS.

35 Posts

February 1st, 2013 20:00

I found the following thread by the same user mentioned above:

en.community.dell.com/.../4265.disable-usb-3-0-functionality-to-install-windows-7-from-a-usb-flash-drive.aspx

Switching to USB debug mode did not work for me, perhaps because it gets overridden once I load Windows.

I also upgraded BIOS to version A09 hoping that would give me an option. Nope.

So still looking for a solution.

35 Posts

February 1st, 2013 21:00

Just to note that when I deleted the Intel USB 3.0 driver from the computer Windows could not find a compatible USB 2.0 driver.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2013 22:00

jimmyd101,

Download and install in this order...Please unplug any usb attached devices.

Intel Panther Point HM77 Chipset

Intel USB3.0

Rick

35 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your reply Rick but I had thought about this trouble shooting step long ago.

The issue seems to be that the Panther Point (PP) chipset is one of the first laptop chipsets to support USB 3.0 natively and my software vendor is clear that at this point in time their program does not support Intel USB 3.0, period, and whether they ever will support that option is unclear. Their advice to me was to go back to USB 2.0.

Intel suggests at the following link to change the BIOS settings:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033072.htm

but it doesn't appear that the Dell BIOS on the 7520 actually supports this option. I was hoping that setting the USB into debug mode, deleting all the drivers, and that the native windows controller for USB would pick it up as USB 2.0 but that didn't work because Windows says it can't find a driver which is correct I think because Windows 7 doesn't natively support USB 3.0 either. So either setting the BIOS into USB debug mode isn't actually forcing the USB chipset to emulate 2.0 at the hardware level or Win7 is seeing past it (maybe because of the PP chipset driver???)

I could upgrade to Win 8 (which does have native support for USB 3.0 and which presumably is non-Intel) and see if that solves the problem but I'm loathe to do so because if it doesn't work I can't roll back to Windows 7. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 12:00

jimmyd101,

If the recovery partition is intact, if you backup all the files and folders you need, using the recovery partition.Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If you made the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create you can also try, Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Rick

No Events found!