Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

September 8th, 2008 06:00

Problem connecting Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 to Vostro 1000

Hi!

We recently purshased 30 Dell Vostro 1000 from a reseller in Sweden, along with 30 Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0. The problem we have is that we are having big problems when connecting the mouse in Windows (Vista Business). Most of the time the we get an error message stating that "There was problem connecting the usb device" and the device is being installed as "Unkown Device".

(I get the error message in Swedish, so I translated from Swedish to English and because of that the errortext might not be exactly as it would have been in native english.)

It is easier to get the mouse working when inserting it before starting the computer, but that does not always work. I also tried an diffrent kind of mouse and that mouse worked right away in Windows.

I think this has something do about the power requirements of the mouse and the supplied power from the usb port on the notebook. (The Microsoft mouse works without any problem on a HP 6710b notebook.)

Is there any solution for this or do we need to get 30 new mices (these were recommended by the reseller)?

The user main users are 13-years old and are not that fond of computer problems...

Best regards

at

Sweden

262 Posts

September 8th, 2008 16:00

Check your USB BIOS settings and make sure they are set to USB 2.0 high speed.

You can also manually download the drivers for the mouse from Microsoft and see if that doesn't solve your problems. If the mice work on other computers without any hang-ups and other mice work on that computer without issues, I would check the drivers and have them properly updated. Being Microsoft Basic Optical Mice there should be no issues or connectivity problems as Microsoft tries very hard to make sure they work with minimal, but having been installed with a nonstandard language I would ask a Swedish computer expert if there are driver compatibility issues unique with the Swedish based install. Their shouldn't be but in some cases there is a different 'core' for the standard import software. I know this was more true in Win95 than the more recent versions.

Also, if by some chance there is a software error, download the windows vista SP1 network install and install/re-install it on each machine too to solve any unforeseen issues that may arise in the future.

September 9th, 2008 05:00

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried with or without new mouse drivers, with or without Vista SP1, toogle any USB releated setting in bios, tried around 5 or 6 diffrent mices, around the same number of computers, reinstalled Vista with a fresh install from disc. The Microsoft mouse works on the other types of computers I tried them with.

Been in contact with Dell support and they didn't have any solution. They are as perplexed that I am.

Regards

at

Sweden

262 Posts

September 9th, 2008 16:00

The mice work on any other machine other than the Vostro? Just to clarify, as I do mean any other machine. Such as desktops, other laptops and so on.

September 9th, 2008 16:00

Yes, I have tried on a couple of Intel based HP laptops and also on 3 desktops...no problem on either of them.

Regards

at

262 Posts

September 10th, 2008 18:00

Do you have other USB mice you can test on the new units?

What I am beginning to suspect is that the USB ports on the new units are faulty. With everything set to default and all conditions set standard the mice should work without issue. This is especially so because you reinstalled Vista (doubly so if you reset your BIOS to factory). Some USB ports are made of thin sheet metal and are prone to rusting, the copper inserts can be corroded to a mild degree or just worn out. Since the units were used we don't know to what extent 'used' means. I would try an assortment of mice to see which ones work and which ones don't. There is also the possibility that these particular mice aren't compatible with Vista (a rare occurance).

These are the vista specific drivers for the unit in English (US) and I didn't find a link for Swedish.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/DownloadResult.aspx?category=MK&type=Mouse&name=m_bomv20&os=WVista_32&lang=en

Give it a try and see if you have any better results. Also, I assumed that you are using the 32 bit version of Vista and not the 64 bit.

September 10th, 2008 19:00

Hi again and thanks for showing interest.

I think maybe the language barrier has made some things unclear, especially when I translated to the word re-seller. What I meant was that all laptops and mices were bought new, though not directly from Dell. Instead from a big computer webstore in Sweden.

Sorry for the confussion that may have caused you. I have tried with latest mouse drivers from Microsoft, but that didn't help either. A diffrent kind of mice worked without any problem on the Dell Vostro.

I have contacted the store and we will proberly exchanged the mice for a diffrent kind.

Regards

at

262 Posts

September 10th, 2008 22:00

yes, the way its worded means that the unit was purchased used.

And yes, if the units didn't work initially then take them back to the store and allow them to burden the headache you have because of the mice.

No Events found!