Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

18 Posts

November 24th, 2003 03:00

Num Lock

Perhaps I don't understand it but when I press the "num lock" on the keyboard, aren't the blue numbers and symbols supposed to be active when I type on those keys?  The number lock light comes on but the letters on each key is typed instead of that number.  I have the number lock key on as I typed this part and the keys are typing the letters in lieu of the numbers.  Any ideas?

David

2.2K Posts

November 24th, 2003 19:00

David,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

It depends on the system that you have.  With the numlock light on, try holding Fn while to use the number pad and I think that you will get the numbers.  You may also wish to try holding Fn while you hit the NumLock button.  That may truly lock the number pad.

18 Posts

November 26th, 2003 02:00

Thanks for the help. I'll check it out. It would seem to me to be very inconvenient to have to hold the Fn key while typing the numbers. It would be easier to use the top row of numbers at that point. Hopefully the Fn+num lock combo does what I need.

1 Message

December 21st, 2003 14:00

Same problem for me. Hopefully, want keeping Fn pressed and num lock lighted, can have number. But really not usefull... When trying to press Fn+num lock combo, result is activating Scroll lk, but does not lock num pad... Cld you please assist.

Mtks and rgds

18 Posts

December 22nd, 2003 16:00

It depends on the system that you have. With the numlock light on, try holding Fn while to use the number pad and I think that you will get the numbers. You may also wish to try holding Fn while you hit the NumLock button. That may truly lock the number pad.

You are correct that after pressing num lock, to get the numbers to show up, you have to hold the Fn key. Interesting, that may have seemed logical to someone, but in the real world, that makes no sense whatsoever. Using the regular number keys is easier when you are already using one hand to sort paperwork and/or keep your place on the page you are working from. The way this is set up, you need both hands to enter numbers.
As someone else has already responded, press the Fn+Num Lock, gives scroll lock.
David

February 15th, 2013 10:00

Computer Info (Typing ASCII on XPS 14z)

To pull up On Screen Keyboard to type ASCII on XPS 14z Laptop, use the following process.  To add text info into Photoshop using ASCII is may be easier to type it in word, then copy and paste.

Click Windows Icon (Open Windows Start Menu)

In the “Search Programs and Files” field, type OSK

Depress

An on screen keyboard should pop up.

For example to create a Copyright symbol © using ASCII

Hold down the Alt Key on your physical keyboard

While Holding the Alt Key use your cursor or touchpad and on the On Screen Keyboard

Move to 0 and left click

Move to 1 and left click

Move to 6 and left click

Move to 9 and left click

On your physical keyboard Depress

The © should appear

No Events found!