Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

EO

February 14th, 2005 00:00

Norton GoBack

I have put the Norton GoBack on my H.P. Laptop and now I can't get into windows or anything and can'tget rid of the GoBack either. Could someone help me and tell me what to do. How do I  get rid of the GoBack? Anybody have any suggestions?
Thank You
Ev Ortman
eortman@sasktel.net

February 14th, 2005 06:00

Boot info safe mode (press F8 at the Dell logo) and perform a system restore to a point before you installed it.

System restore is found: Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.

February 14th, 2005 15:00

Are you able to get into safe mode at all? Also try getting to a DOS prompt and type in "sfc /scannow", this tool scans your OS files and makes sure they're not corrupted.

February 14th, 2005 15:00

Thank you Dr. Knowitall but that didn't work,have any other suggestions? I am getting very frustrated as I have tried different thingsto try  to get windows to start to no avail.

Thanks

Ev

February 15th, 2005 14:00

I now have my laptop up and running and now am wondering if I dare try to reinstall

Norton GoBAck  or will I have the same problem!!!!

Thanks

Ev Ortman 

February 15th, 2005 16:00

I've never heard of it so I wouldn't install it, especially since the problems started when you installed this program. So, did the "sfc /scannow" work for you?

February 15th, 2005 18:00

No, I did ctrl,alt,G and then when the screen came up I clicked on F and that did it

Thanks
Ev

1.5K Posts

February 16th, 2005 02:00

GoBack can be a very handy tool.

It defaults to create a single 'block' of backup files equal to 10% of your total drive space, best to defrag prior to installing it.

Norton took it over from Roxio, it has saved my system countless times when System Restore would fail.

Proper way to remove if necessary is to use Control Panel; Add-Remove.

Art

February 17th, 2005 23:00

Hi Art!!!

I removed GoBack and then a defrag and reinstalled it and I have the same problem can't get into windows or anything else for that matter as the screen is black except for a blinking curser that won't do anything. Any other ideas as I tried the cntrl,alt,g to no avail so far. I am really getting frustrated now.

Thks

Ev Ortman

1.5K Posts

February 18th, 2005 12:00

Hi Ev,

I have the Roxio 3.1 (3.11.59) that was an add-on included with NSW2003 still installed on my 8yr old LM133 Win98 Latitude and 1yr old Dimension 2400, this minimal version will restore the system to a point up to three weeks back but you lose all files added or changed beyond that point.

On the D800, I have changed to the new Norton version that is an add-on to NSW2005 and this will only 'go-back' of  two days or so but allows subsequent recovery of any file lost in the operation.

My first attempt to install the new version failed because I had selected (custom install) a larger block than was available, defrag opened up the "largest free block" situation to allow the installation.  When the install had failed, it did not affect any ability to open windows and I have no knowledge of "Ctl-Alt-G, F" and my recollection of DOS Commands was never enough.

The 'help' section of 3.1 makes a point that the install will fail if your system is found to be operating in a "MS DOS compatibility Mode" and says that this can be caused by unsafe Drivers, Programs or Virus. "These conditions include but are not limited to: (below is all they say...):

What is MS-DOS Compatibility mode?

MS-DOS compatibility mode is a mode in Windows 95/98/Me in which your hard disk(s) are not operating optimally using Windows 32-bit drivers, but are instead using MS-DOS real-mode drivers.

If GoBack detects this condition, GoBack will not install or run.

You must correct the problem before running GoBack.

There can be many reasons that a hard disk is running in MS-DOS Compatibility mode.  These reasons include but are not limited to:

• An "Unsafe" device driver, program or virus loaded in Windows memory.
  • A hard disk controller not detected in Windows.
  • A conflict between the hard disk controller and another device.
  • An incompatible hardware device or configuration in Windows.
  • A damaged Windows driver.

Because GoBack does not cause the MS-DOS compatibility mode condition, you must consult your hardware manufacturer for information about correcting the problem.  You can also find many detailed articles about troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility mode problems in the support area on the Microsoft web site."

The above was all I could find that looked like it could help and it was probably written prior to Win2000/XP era and I don't know what system you are operating.

With a properly functioning Go-Back (either version) is installed, there is a full screen splash on boot-up just after BIOS for a few seconds, that allows entry into Go-Back  and my guess is that is where you are getting the lock-up.  They also mention that GoBack may prevent some MS-DOS disk utilities from modifying the protected area of the hard drive.

It seems like every Great Utility gets taken over by Norton/Symantec and then they can sometimes try the patience of the Pope.

Norton does supply a very thorough "Knowledge Base" that will even scan your system and find solutions, but it never spotted my problem of  'not enough contiguous space'  when I looked there...

For me, the value of these utilities far exceeds the frustration of dealing with Norton Software.

On my Latitude LM, GoBack disables the partition used for 'Hibernate' but this function is restored by removing GoBack (use Control Panel; Add/Remove).  There are situations which will require removal of GoBack, such as an installation of a Service Pack or an upgrade of an Operating System.

Beyond checking Norton's Knowledge Site for solutions, I would do a Google Search on problems installing GoBack as I have found that there is nothing that can happen that has not happened to others before and Google will find a site that will provide an answer, some of them may want $$ but I have always found a 'free' answer on a site below the 'pay' one.

Art

February 18th, 2005 19:00

Hi Art

I can't get anything on the laptop just a blank screen.

The alt,ctrl,g is what is in the H.P.manual. It says to start computor,immediatley hold ctrl,alt keys down and a quick tapping of the G keys would bring up a screen then click on F to force GoBack to cancel. It worked the first time,then I did a defrag and reinstalled GoBack and the same thing has happened again, no windows and so far can't get the cntrl,alt,g keys to do anything.

Ev  

1.5K Posts

February 18th, 2005 20:00

On boot up, repeatedly hit F8 and this should bring up a menu that will include the 'Safe Mode' and this will open Windows in a most minimal mode but will allow access to Control Panel; Add/Remove to remove the GoBack.  If it is WinXP you could try 'System Restore' from 'safe-mode'

For Win9x, there is a DOS command on bootup that will let you choose from previous copy's of the registry and restore operation.

If you have a floppy drive, that would be the place to try a boot disk on startup.

Beyond that, if it were a Dell, you could boot with the Recovery CD and select 'Repair' I know that on a Sony VAIO you can only select 'Reinstall' (using a Sony Recovery CD) but that a Dell Recovery CD will 'Repair' a Sony VAIO.

Another possibility would be to remove power and battery, check for a 'reset' button or hole and try again after reconnecting power.

Art
No Events found!