Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 13th, 2005 14:00

My computer keeps randomly shutting itself off, how do I make it stop?

I've already checked the power options where you can set the time before it goes on standby and stuff, and ive changed them all so as long as my computer is plugged in it shouldn't ever turn itself off, so I don't know what is going on but it is realllllllly annoying so hopefully someone can help me figure out how to fix it.

March 13th, 2005 21:00

It may be overheating. Is it really really hot? If it is, your computer has a failsafe to shut off before everything melts...literally. My Insp5100 used to overheat and shut off when running heavy games or school related applications. After looking back behind it I noticed that all the vents were caked in dust. So from now on a bi-monthly use of compressed air ($5 from Radio-Shak, Staples, Best-Buy, or even Walmart (boo)) keeps my computer running cool and fast. I also use i8kfangui to control my fan speeds. I recommend going to their site and downloading the program.

64 Posts

March 13th, 2005 23:00

What model do you have? The 1100 series seem to have an overheating problem inherent with the P4 (desktop version) processor. Is your unit hot?? Check in these forums and do a search on 5100, 1100, 5150 etc. for overheating if this might be the issue. Lots of advice IF this might be an overheating issue...

March 14th, 2005 00:00

OK, I was thinking that might be it because for awhile it would go for like an hour before shutting off, then when i was trying to import songs to Itunes from a cd it started shutting off every 5 minutes or so and it was really hot.  If I get the air compressor thing, do I just spray it in all the vents(well i think they are the vents) that are on the backside where the USB and ethernet cables go?  Oh, mine is the inspiron 5100.     Thanks so much!!!!

64 Posts

March 14th, 2005 13:00

There is a vent on the right hand side of the Inspiron 5100, up towards the upper right corner of the unit. Blow that out. If you're adventurous, you can take off the keyboard and cover over the fan unit inside and blow that out as well. If you do not want to take things apart, turn the unit over and blow thru the fan unit, holding the fan still with your fingers so it doesn't spin on its own while you blow it out.

Unfortunately, you, like me and many others, are discovering quite a while after purchase, that this overheating problem in the 5100 is a problem and can turn out to be a severe one. Some people have had motherboards replaced that got fried because of the overheating.

I went out and purchased a $29.99 CoolPad by Targus to prop my computer up a few inches to allow better air circulation. Seems to have helped, it hasn't shut off on its own for almost 3 days now. Blowing the system out FREQUENTLY seems to also help, but not solve, this problem.....

I'm on my third fan/heat sink unit in less than 1.5 years and I honestly think that eventually, this unit will just quit working completely.

Do a search on the Internet - you will find some more info on keeping the dust from accumulating in the system and info about the overheating problem. I personally don't think that a can of compressed air is going to stop it from overheating. I do this on a regular basis, always have just as a matter of routine maintenance and it still overheats. This unit has a P4 desktop processor which will cause it to run hot no matter what you do.

Good luck!

29 Posts

March 16th, 2005 05:00

There are posts all over this Board about overheating, fans, etc, in 1100, 5100 and 5150, and Dell is well aware this is a problem with these 3. There is much discussion if you use the search box *at bottom* and type in DESIGN FLAW. Also suggest searching on the terms you find in those posts - different people describe the same problem differently. Best of luck!
No Events found!