Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

1 Message

February 8th, 2005 00:00

My Screen Randomly Goes Black

At first I thought it was an overheating problem, like to protect itself, it was shutting down to cool off, but the fans still work, and it's not hot.

It happens frequently, without warning, the screen goes almost, ALMOST completely dark.  Like, I can still see programs that are open, but JUST barely, which means it's a screen problem, right?  I don't know specifically what's wrong or how to fix it.  So, it goes really dark, and I have to force quit.  As soon as the computer reloads, the screen is fine again, but eventually the screen goes dark again, and the whole process starts again.

Can someone help me?

3 Posts

February 8th, 2005 02:00

I seem to be having a similar problem that started about a week ago.  I have an Inspirion 5100 purchased in December 2003.  For no apparent reason, the system suddenly shuts itself off -- screen goes black and system powers off.  When I try to boot back up, the screen image is very dark...I can see the graphics and icons faintly.  The only way I can bring the system back to normal life is to disconnect the power supply, pull the battery, and reboot.  This generally works, but it's happening with greater frequency.

I too thought that it was an overheating problem, but I don't know why the system would suddenly start overheating when it hadn't in the past.

Any clues?

February 8th, 2005 19:00

Greetings, this sound to me a like a faulty backlight. the screen just goes "black" and the laptop still runs, (lights are on and the thing is humming) look close to see if you can still see an image on the screen and your mouse moving around, the backlight is going out. I have replaced many LCDs in the past year with that problem, also could be the video card as well. If your Dell is under warranty give them a call to get it fixed.

If your dell is NOT under warranty you could try reseating the LCD cables, but don't do it unless you are confident you can do somthing like that, and also if your laptop is not under warranty, Dell frowns on ppl just opening up there laptops to look inside! ;-) :smileywink:

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2005 01:00

I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 5100.  It also statred this last week.  I also thought it was the Thermal Cooling assembly which came in this evening. I replaced it and voila I still have the same problem. 

Now I am a big DELL fan, pardon the pun, and recommend them to anyone who asks what kind of computer to get, however this is getting to be very disturbing.  Why, cause there are posts beginning to show up for several of the same model of notebook having the same problem within such a short period.

If a moderator or anyone else hears of a solution or finds that this is a virus or other, hopefully recoverable, issue please let me know as soon as possible.  I need my notebook up and running for my small business and things are getting tight.  Meanwhile I am off to start digging through forums for others in search of the answer.

8 Posts

February 22nd, 2005 19:00

do you really want to know?

it appears that your computer has overheated, and that due to this fact your motherboard is probably baked.

it has occured alot in the 5150s, say 49 pages of comments worth, and now it looks like it is popping up for the 5100s.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2005 20:00

Well to answer my own question this is obviously part of the same issue everyone else has been experiencing.  Fan causes overheating due to design flaw, leads to support call for out of warranty computer, leads to troubleshooting for hours with tech, leads to suggestion to send to Out of warranty shop for possible Motherboard baked = $699.00 min for repair or Processor/Graphics card baked = $269.00, leads to big piece of metal/plastic hanging out on my desk while I look for a replacement at Best Buy!  I am not really happy cause I have to empty my wallet again!!! 

I guess it's, and I quote,  "Dude your gonna get a Toshiba,Comcrappie, HP,Sony, or maybe even a Gateway!"    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

I HATE being upset with Dell.  So many of their other products are so good, why does this have to be this way!

Just say I'm losing the faith.  Sorry guys!  I'm about to cross over!!!!!

:smileysad:

15 Posts

March 1st, 2005 20:00

Hi, I wonder if you got your problem solved.  I have only been able to get Dell to offer a new screen and replacement for $800.00.  A simple backlight would probably solve it.   My screen boots up and immediately goes black...a very, very, very, faint outline of IM can be seen at one angle.  Where does one get a backlight?

15 Posts

March 1st, 2005 22:00

Where does one purchase a backlight?  And instructions on how to install?  I have an Inspiron 8000 and I don't want to pay $800 to Dell.  I have already switched to Sony Liquid-Cooled for my desktop and if I don't get this Dell repaired at at reasonable cost; so also will be switching to a laptop of a different name.  Dell isn't really taking care of clients after they get paid or the warranty is gone.

15 Posts

March 2nd, 2005 14:00

I actually posted this under a different thread but I have found a company on E-Bay that does repairs of this type very reasonably.  Their testimonials posted from clients are very good.  I don't have anything to lose so I am shipping my Dell Inspiron 8000 to them.  I have the blank screen with the faintest image imaginable visible when you continue to TRY to see it.

Another problem I had with this Dell - the battery quit almost immediately.  I was using a replicator and didn't know the battery was not functional.  It did show it was recharged; then when booted up using the battery, there was a loud "POP" and the computer crashed.  The battery would not recharge; even though it has never been used for more than 2 hours. 

The company address for repair is:  www.services@laptopwork.com

Message Edited by JanetWJesse on 03-02-2005 10:58 AM

Message Edited by JanetWJesse on 03-02-2005 10:59 AM

15 Posts

March 2nd, 2005 17:00

I've already shipped my laptop to www.services@laptopwork.com, but here is an e-mail I received from a Dell user and the way he solved his problem:

Me:  Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and the screen is practically black. 
> If I hold it at an angle, I can very faintly see something in the
> background.  I think I need a backlight and/or inverter and thought
> perhaps you could help me?

> Thanks.  Janet

His Answer:  Janet,

It's pretty difficult to be able to tell just by looking whether or not
the problem is with the inverter or the lamp. This is why most hardware
techs will usually go ahead and replace both at the same time, because
it eliminates a lot of fuss and testing. You may or may not want to do
this depending on your circumstances. If you open up the case and find
the lamp broken in half, don't waste your time on an inverter. JKL makes
a lot of different inverters, but the ones put in laptops tend to be
designed very specifically for that particular model laptop, so the best
thing to do is to get an exact replacement. I found this one
*http://tinyurl.com/5ppht * for  $35 which is a good deal if it's the
one you need.

Lampwise, the 8000 will use a JKL part BF20292-24B which measures 2mm x
292mm, and is available through Digi-Key *http://tinyurl.com/6w9pm* and
Mouser Electronics *http://tinyurl.com/58n7m *for about $12.77.

Let me know if you have any questions!
-Clayton

--

Clayton Crabtree

JKL Components
13343 Paxton Street
Pacoima, Calif
91331-2376
ccrabtree@jkllamps.com

Message Edited by JanetWJesse on 03-02-2005 01:09 PM

2 Posts

March 8th, 2005 21:00

I too have had the same issue. After spending countless hours with Dell on the phone, it appears Ive come up with the solution, or at least the problem.

On the 5100, you cannot have the LCD screen at FULL BRIGHTNESS for any amount of time, regardless if its plugged in or not. You can set the default screen brightness in the System Setup to just one box below fully bright.

However if you override this by hitting the Function Key and the brightness controls on the keypad you invite the same problem again.

So just always keep the brightness to one box below fully bright and it seems to have solved my problems at least.

So if this does solve the problem Ill expect a free laptop from dell for the help.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2005 21:00

I too have had the same issue. After spending countless hours with Dell on the phone, it appears Ive come up with the solution, or at least the problem.

On the 5100, you cannot have the LCD screen at FULL BRIGHTNESS for any amount of time, regardless if its plugged in or not. You can set the default screen brightness in the System Setup to just one box below fully bright.

However if you override this by hitting the Function Key and the brightness controls on the keypad you invite the same problem again.

So just always keep the brightness to one box below fully bright and it seems to have solved my problems at least.

So if this does solve the problem Ill expect a free laptop from dell for the help.

15 Posts

April 13th, 2005 01:00

I have received my laptop from the guys and it is working wonderfully.  I saved $475 over Dell's price and here are their comments on the screen problem:

Amount: $324.97 USD
Subject: Laptop Repair
Note:
3/22/2005 - 3/22/2005 - The motherboard has unstable 3.3V power supply. It
swings somewhere from 2.1V to 2.5V. This was a result from a bad shorted
CMOS chip between 19.5V and 3.3V switching power supply section. This CMOS
chip was replaced for $199.99. The bad power on 3.3V power line caused a
spike in core voltage and destroyed the LCD inverter. We have to replace
the LCD inverter for $49.99 to fully repair the laptop. The bad parts were
properly removed and disposed to prevent further damage to the motherboard.
New battery cost $59.99. If customer does not want this service, the laptop
will be returned with minimum service charge of $39.99. Repair complete.
Sent Invoice.
No Events found!