Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2012 08:00

My Inpiron 15R crashes randomly

Its been around 8 months i got this laptop:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz  2.00GHz
6.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premiun 64 bits

Since the very begining i have this issue, i tried everything in my hands, i restored to default , i runned every diagnostic DELL support on the phone told me to,  
my laptop event got Display replaced and 2 hours after i got it bang!, this happens randomly, theres nothing i know that can make this happen, happens event
sometimes while starting, sometimes browsing on internet, etc..
screen get distorted and sometimes theres an annoying buzz, i have still warranty i just need any idea of what causes it so i can tell this support guys 

June 15th, 2012 11:00

Hi ikali,

Welcome to the community,

Have you updated the BIOS and video drivers for this computer?

If not, please reply me with your service tag in a private message. So that I can provide you the link for BIOS and video drivers.

As you mentioned that the display was replaced, so it could be a software issue.

Hardeep Singh

Social outreach professional

9 Posts

June 15th, 2012 13:00

Replacing the display won't cure a problem that is possibly occuring in the video card, or the interface between the video card and the motherboard, or wire from the video card to the display.There could be simply a loose wire, or loose connection.

9 Posts

June 15th, 2012 13:00

Yes, I didn't finish my thought before hitting reply. Often times, a "flakey" or intermittent glitch occurs because of heat or mechanical flexing. When your computer does this again, you might want to try picking it up by one of the corners as the resultant flexing may make a mechanical connection problem go away temporarily.

I've also rebuilt a number of presarios (4 or 5), and I have seen this sort of thing, either because of a video card (ususally a daughterboard) not seated well on the motherboard, or because of a bad cable going between the video card, and the display.

Now it could be SW related, but in my experience it is most likely HW related.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2012 15:00

I am amazed that this is the only result for a search I did online, but I am having this exact same problem.  My laptop is a Toshiba Laptop though.  But yes, you have described the same issue exactly.

At the beginning of May, I received a laptop I bought from newegg.com.  It was a refurbished item with a 90 day warranty from Toshiba (I actually bought two but I'm only having this problem with one of them).  I have been working with Toshiba for the last 40 days and also their local authorized service depot.  I restored the BIOS myself, and the service depot ordered and replaced both the motherboard and video card.  But neither of those attempts resolved the situation.

The service depot has ordered a new connection for the display, which is the next thing we'll be trying, but I'm not really optimistic.  Toshiba does not want to replace the item, which really upsets me because I've had this problem since the day I received the laptop and the 90 day warranty isn't getting any longer.

Another issue that has started up yesterday, is that the wireless cannot detect any wireless networks around me anymore!  In the 5-10 minutes I can use the laptop before it crashes to the distorted screen, I've verified that the wireless is enabled and operational, but windows continues to tell me there's no wireless networks.  Again, the duplicate laptop I bought with this one has none of these problems.  What a mess.

I hope you get your Dell figured out!!

2 Posts

June 26th, 2012 12:00

No one has found a solution to this yet?

No Events found!