Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2001 03:00

Mouse pointer disappears!

When I glide my pointer over a link on any website, There is a certain area near the link that my pointer will disappear. It is then visible when I move the mouse a little more????????

298 Posts

August 22nd, 2001 20:00

aris4003:

What Operating System are you currently using with your Inspiron 7000 system? Approximately how recently did you first begin to experience this problem and do you remember making any hardware or software changes to your configuration directly previous to this first occurring? You may want to try downloading and installing the latest video driver available for your system from the Dell File Library. Just go to our website at the following address:

Insert your system's service tag in the text box labeled "System Service Tag" and click the "Go" button. You will be given a list of files and drivers specific to your system.

If this doesn't help, try installing the latest touchpad driver. If you have installed an external mouse on your system and its related software, uninstall this software and then reinstall the touchpad driver.

2 Posts

August 23rd, 2001 18:00

I am using windows 98. My computer crashed recently and I lost all programs and data. I went to the download section you suggested. Which one do I download? I noticed there are about 10 choices listed under my category windows 98 Dell Inspiron 7000.

August 24th, 2001 15:00

Use the most recent (highest revision) driver listed for your Operating System first. You can try other versions if needed, but it is usually a good idea to try the most recent one to start.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2003 13:00

Look guys, Dell has a problem with the video upgrade files for the D800.  Admit it.  Fix it.

Mine does the SAME EXACT THING everybody elses' is doing AFTER the EEPROM flash upgrade for the video board.

Mouse disappears behind an invisible band.  I spent 1/2 hour on the phone with the tech support folks yesterday.  My box 'blue screened' when I closed the lid and turned it over to read  the service tag then opened it back up.  The screen problem went away for the rest of the call.  This morning, ITS BACK.

I've followed all the instructions.  Its' still busted, and at this point, I'm going to try a downgrade of the video BIOS and see if I can at least get this box running right again.

Steve

3 Posts

September 18th, 2003 14:00

Looks Like I'm going to reply to myself!!

Dell has posted a BRAND NEW A04 version of the video BIOS..!!

Amazing, eh?

BR66755.exe  Release date 9/17/2003

BR66755.exe

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2003 17:00

Hey

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with Nvidia geforce4 4200go.v.6.14.10.4487,A05 drivers.

I have the exact same problem.

But i dont think the new firmware will solve it, it didnt for me =(

i just hope DELL has some good solution to this, or has my computer got corrupt ???

I posted a answer on google groups so we are not alone.

Pls help us on this, i mean we are many people having the exact same problem.

I mean isnt firmware bug fixes  ? or does it creates bugs ??

Cheers !

Robert

2 Posts

September 27th, 2003 14:00

Ok, found the solution.

For the nvidia 4200 go card the latest driver is br65893.  This cured my problem!

Good luck.

tetz

2 Posts

September 27th, 2003 14:00

I have found that if you disable "nvcpl" in the startup---(run *msconfig*) the problem goes away.  NVCPL must be a driver for the video....not sure what problems I will have with it disabled.  Will keep you updated. 

Hope this helps lead us the way to resolving this issue.

17 Posts

September 27th, 2003 15:00

Hey and thx for your letter

im using this new driver and its still problems for me =(

Cheers !

Robert

16 Posts

September 28th, 2003 04:00

I also have this invisible band running horizontally in the middle of my screen. Everytime my mouse passes though it the cursor would disspear within the invisible band.  

I have an Inspiron 8500, Windows XP Pro, and using the default drivers on the cd that was provided.

I also just recieved this notebook yesterday.

1 cure i found was when the resolution is changed and the screen blinks, it will solve the problem. however when it is restarted it will reapear.

Im currently d/ling the latest driver and hopefully it will fix itself.

September 28th, 2003 11:00

Dear woofermew,

Try this!

Click start, run, type MSCONFIG, hit ok...

Click the startup tab on your right.

Look for the NVCPL.

Uncheck that!

Click apply, close, then hit yes to restart your computer.

---------

You might wonder what is NVCPL is for.

It is an additional feature of your video card.

Enabling it in startup is optional.

---------

Hope that solves your problem!

Master Richard

16 Posts

September 28th, 2003 13:00

cheers mate for the advice.

however that new driver i downloaded has fix'ed the problem thanks

Message Edited by woofermew on 09-28-2003 03:34 PM

13 Posts

January 12th, 2004 15:00

I just posted a new thread on this issue before finding this thread. I bought an Inspiron in December 03 and still have the same problem with the mouse pointer (that goes under an invisible line) in January 04.

Really, is Dell gonna provide a fix for this issue? It bothers me a lot...

16 Posts

January 13th, 2004 10:00

Have you installed the latest bios A05 for the motherboard. and the latest video driver.

thats basically all i did and looked around the driver settings and it fix'ed itself.

13 Posts

January 13th, 2004 12:00

A05 for the motherboard came with the computer (I bought it on December 12th). Then I downloaded and istalled the latest video bios and driver for I8500. It doesn't fix the problem for me. As soon as I close the lid and open back (no standby just turn off the screen here) the mouse pointer starts bahave as described. Some people say the drivers for 8600 should fix it but when I think they are the same since when I installed them it said that the fix is for all with this problem: D800, I8500, I8600.
No Events found!