Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

November 9th, 2007 14:00

Laptop screen wont 'wake up'

Hi all, Not had my laptop for long now, ive been playing with the quickset software and i made it sleep after a few minutes. normally when i touch the touchpad it will wake up and the display will work, but after say about an hour of the screen in sleep mode or 'turn off dislay' (as called in quickset) it won't wake up. it will sit there doing nothing, i know its on as the lights are on and i can hear it working still but only the screen wont come back on. the power button shuts down the laptop so that doesnt work either. any help on how to wake it up without turning it off first? *edit laptop is a Vostro 1000 Message Edited by Jadefox2k on 11-09-2007 10:06 AM Also forgot to mention this happens when i close the laptop, ive set it so that when i close the lid, computer will: 'No Atcion' although the display turns off it can wake back up if not left for too long. also i have turned 'enable hiberante support off' is there a wake up key to turn the display back on? Message Edited by Jadefox2k on 11-09-2007 11:01 AM

Message Edited by Jadefox2k on 11-09-2007 11:18 AM

44 Posts

November 9th, 2007 15:00

what happens when you press the power button just once?
What is the power light doing, flashing or on solid?

6 Posts

November 9th, 2007 16:00

pushing the power button turns the laptop off and the screen still stays blank. the power light is solid

6 Posts

November 10th, 2007 13:00

Any help? i just want to know what the 'wake up' button is?

950 Posts

November 10th, 2007 16:00

If you are using XP, in the power properties for set it for not to go into standby or hibernate mode. Then maybe set the screen to turn off at the time you want. Then touching any key will turn the monitor back on.  Set the option when you close the lid to do nothing.

Then if you want try messing with the settings again later.

6 Posts

November 10th, 2007 21:00

thats what ive done all along, the only thing that it should do is turn the display off after 1 minute with and without ac power. i just want to know what the wake up key is...

1 Rookie

• 

93 Posts

November 11th, 2007 01:00

Fn+F8 will turn the monitor back on.

6 Posts

November 11th, 2007 10:00

oh, ive tried that but it doesnt work, i guess there is a problem then

950 Posts

November 11th, 2007 14:00

Also since it is new call Dell support and run this past them. But yeah you may have to send it in for repair. Too bad if you do.

180 Posts

November 25th, 2007 13:00

I have a similar problem with a Vostro 1500. The Notebook enters standby mode and wakes up just fine. But if I left it on standby for about an hour it wakes up itself and the screen remains black no matter what I do.

After hard reboot, Vista's says that the problem is related to Intel video driver. Sadly, Dell didn't have any update yet.
No Events found!