Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2012 12:00

Laptop not switching on!

Hi!

My laptop was left on for about 15 minutes yesterday and when I got back to it, it had stopped working. I tried the recommended fixes like trying to remove the static charge but it doesn't seem to work. When I push the power button the power led glows for a few moments and then goes away. The dvd drive works during this interval.Nothing else seems to work.

Can someone help me out please? I need this laptop for my final year project presentation and all my files are stuck inside!

(I could supply any more details if required.)

May 6th, 2012 12:00

Hi sharonthegood,
Welcome to the community

Could you please let us know what is the system model and also if  let us know  if you can see the lights glow when tapped on numslock or capslock keys for that moment.
If you see any other lights apart from these, please post the combination of the LED indicators like for ex. volume high buttons if you have.
Try reseating the memory cards and check if it works.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 6th, 2012 14:00

sharonthegood,

Try running the full diagnostics and post back any error messages.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

May 6th, 2012 20:00

It is a Dell Inspiron N4010. I'm currently waiting for a replacement battery as mine stopped working suddenly and inexplicably last week.

May 6th, 2012 21:00

I'm sorry I don't mean to sound stupid but how does one reseat the memory cards?

Rick, I can't get the laptop running at all. It shows a black screen like if it were switched off. How do I run the diagnostic on the computer?

Rick, I can't get the laptop running at all. It shows a black screen like if it were switched off. How do I run the diagnostic on the computer?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

sharonthegood,

Remove the battery.

Unplug the ac adapter from the wall.

Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Plug the ac adapter in and try turning on the computer.

What happens?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 6th, 2012 22:00

sharonthegood,

Very strange that the laptop is not coming on. No battery is needed. The laptop shopuld be able to turn on using the adapter.

If your computer is under warranty, then contact Dell Tech support.

Rick

Unfortunately enough my warranty ran out 2 months ago. I did not think all this would happen within the span of two months or else I would've renewed my warranty promptly. It doesn't work even on direct current. Guess I'll have to shell out the money for some sort of replacement again. Can this be caused by a faulty motherboard?

I tried that. Nothing seems to happen. I don't have a battery as I mentioned earlier I'm still waiting for a battery replacement. Is there anything else that can be done?

2 Posts

May 7th, 2012 20:00

hi, i have the same problem, did you find solutions for this?

May 8th, 2012 04:00

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what to do! I was expecting some of the Dell technicians to help out over here!

1 Message

February 1st, 2016 08:00

can u tell me the solution of this ... my laptop also have same problm right now .............

and i need  help

when i turned on laptop .. only indicator light turns on and after some time it would again turned off and screeen always black ..

plz help me and tell me the solution

No Events found!