Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2010 06:00

Laptop gets incredibly hot and turns itself off

My Dell Vostro 1710 gets very hot around the fan area and then just switches off after a while. This is when it's standing on my desk, when I lift the side so it has no contact with the desk and more air can get underneath it does fairly well. Also when I run flash applications my CPU usage goes rapidly to 100% and my laptop warms up more quickly and swithches off in a matter of minutes. This is kind of annoying if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanx!

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

August 25th, 2010 09:00

Is the fan working?

Have you cleaned out "dust bunnies" inside?

Have you installed a temperature monitoring program to monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures?

It's possible that the heat sinks are improperly installed and/or that the heat transfer paste was applied incorrectly or not at all.

6 Posts

August 25th, 2010 09:00

I think the fan is working since I hear something turning (not the HD)

How do i clean out "dust bunnies"?

What temperature monitoring program do you recommend?

I wouldn't know what to answer on that last question :)

thanx for the reply!

4 Posts

November 1st, 2010 22:00

hello,

I have the same problem with my vosto 1710

It is so hot that i cannot put my hand on it on the left side (where the cooler is)

the GPU temp is 84°C and the two core at 70°

The fan seems to work (little noise) but the air stream is not so high ... ?

How can I control the fan speed ?

thanks !

Vincent

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2010 11:00

Try I8kfangui. It works with some Dells, but has not been upgraded for a while. It will allow very comprehensive control of the fan speed depending on temperatures. It has worked excellently with my E1705, but not with my M1530.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 14:00

hello !

Thanks, I have tried IK8

It works for my vostro 1710, but for only one fan (but I think there is only a fan), and it cannot give the GPU temperature.

Is there any gpu fan on a vostro ? maybe mine is dead and it can explain why the gpu temperature is so high ?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2010 22:00

There is only one fan. The pictures in you repair manual seem to show a combination heat sink for both the CPU and the GPU. If you have the Intel integrated graphics, there may not be a thermocouple in the GPU. 

You should try to set the I8K program to turn on the fan at lower temperatures.  You need to experiment.

Is the fan working?

It's possible the heat sink is not correctly attached or the heat transfer material may be incorrectly applied. 

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 22:00

Thanks for your help ;)

yes, the fan is working, and thanks to IK8 i could force to "high".

But the temperature remains very very high (84°C for GPU), and both above and below the computer ..

PS : I have not the Intel graphics but the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 23:00

yes, I have HW-Monitor, that's why I know the GPU temp of 84°C !!

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

With the 8600GS, you should have a GPU temp reading. Download some other temp programs (GPU-Z, HW Monitor, etc).

Hi,

That was great...thanks for the information..

It really help me a lot...

Then good for you...

October 25th, 2011 02:00

Hi

The 8600M GS have a manufacturing defect.

nVidia admits this default.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 25th, 2011 09:00

Yes the 8600GS has a manufacturing defect, but it does not cause high temperatures. Wildly varying temperatures cause the chip to eventually fail. I just had my GPU fail and had the motherboard replaced under warranty. My GPU temperatures NEVER went consistently high, only when using demanding software, and never went over about 80°C; normally 55-65°C.

Consistently high temperatures usually means the cooling system is not working well. Could be dust inside, fan problems, heat treansfer materials, blocking air inlet port, etc.

No Events found!