Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 09:00

Kingston Memory Upgrade

I have an Inspiron 1520 which originally came with 2 Gb memory. I just purchased 4 Gb of Kingston ram and suspect it is faulty. I'm seeing memory hard faults. My firewall crashed out of the blue yesterday. My performance score for memory is only 4.8 while other performance areas are higher.

Has anyone else had any recent problems with Kingston memory? I always thought it was good and have purchased other modules in the past.

Should I call and ask for replacement memory?

From Task Manager, here are the stats:

Physical Memory (MB)

Cached 2443

Free 67

39% used physical memory

I've let Windows manage the memory

4.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 11:00

I always thought it was good...

It usually is.  But there's still the possibility that the ones oyu've received this time are faulty?

Assuming it's 2x 2GB modules, try with just one of them installed?  Then try the other?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 14:00

How are the memory faults showing up? You could run the RAM diagnostics (F12 at boot).

A 4.8 rating is normal. Nobody knows what the Microsoft ratings mean.

40 Posts

January 24th, 2009 08:00

I'm not sure I have a huge amount of advice to provide.  When my son bought me a 1Gig memory stick for my Latitude D600 for Christmas, there was some question about whether it was compatible with that model computer.  So, I just called the Kingston help line for support, and the person I talked to was incredibly helpful.  And while she indicated that she couldn't be 100 percent certain the module would work - she said it was a "generic" module.  So, I took a chance, opened up the package and stuck it in and it worked fine - and got an incredible amount of increased performance from my machine as a result.  I'd suggest you just call Kingston  -  +1 (877) KINGSTON

No Events found!