Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 29th, 2003 12:00

It shuts off right after I power up... Whats wrong

Right after I turn on my lap top it shuts down...  Why is it doing this?

2.2K Posts

August 29th, 2003 16:00

jars2798,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Please remove the floppy drive or CD-Rom drive, the battery, any PCMCIA cards, the hard drive and all but one memory module (if you have more than one), and then try restarting the system on AC power.  You should come to a message that says, No Operating System found.  If you do, reassemble the system one piece at a time and try restarting after each piece to see if one of them is causing a problem.  

You can find instructions on removing the parts, here.  Click on the components names above for instructions on removing each one. 

Please start by seeing my response to your other post.  If you only have a tiny amount of charge in the battery, then the system may start and then immediately shutdown.

1 Message

August 30th, 2003 04:00

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my latitude cpx and have tried all the steps you suggested, but it doesn't seem to work.  With everything removed, the power will turn on for a few seconds then off again.  It appears it's doing some sort of self test?  The strange thing is, every so often it would load winXP but I get this awful ringing noise during boot up and continues even when windows is done loading. Then a couple minutes later it just shuts down by itself.  Am I domed? Prehaps it's bad a CPU?

thx. 

September 4th, 2003 18:00

Dear Dell tech help:  if you would search the entire forum for this kind of problem, you will see that there are many Latitude CPi owners who are having this symptoms of NOT BEING ABLE TO TURN THE SYSTEM ON. Granted some of them happened after they upgraded something, but to a lot of us, this problem just occurred, sometimes gradually without us having muck around the innards of the laptop. Thats what happened to my CPi-366Mhz. Its still dead and sometimes it would come up but partly to starting Windows it just shuts down.

My search seemed to indicate that there is something loose or becoming loose in the inside of the laptop, either CPU working its way out, memory module connection, keyboard connection etc.

Can you compile a list of solutions that encompass all the database pertaining to this solution and make readily available so we all can benefit? This problem has been posted in various forums here, and it takes a lot of time trying to cull the good info.  Thanks.

4 Posts

September 5th, 2003 01:00

I am so upset. I just bought this Dell Latitude D500 for work. When I first got it, the power came on. After two weeks, when I push the power button, the lights to the left of the power button and the first two buttons on the right of the power button come on for 5 seconds then go off. The screen never comes on. I even took the battery out and put it back in. I can't get the screws out from under the computer. I don't feel I am quailified to take the computer apart, besides I don't know what I am looking for. I need this computer for work and travel for work. I couldn't wait to get a Dell. Now I am sorry I did. The instructions are terrible and not explained simple. I'm having big doubts with this Dell. I thought they were top of the line computer. Please Please help me. Thank you in advance. Have a good day! I am desperate! 

Message Edited by Ginnipoo on 09-04-2003 09:48 PM

1 Message

September 5th, 2003 13:00

i had try, step bu step, but.... blak screen!
Help me!!!
I think: There is a damage in the cpu o mothermodule???
Helpme, per favore!!!!
Inside the computer i have important documents of work!

4 Posts

September 5th, 2003 14:00

Hello to all of you asking this question.  I have never had this problem on my laptop but I did have it on a desktop.  The same recommendations you have received here from the moderator applie to a desktop as well, so I am going to tell you of my experience.

I would push the start button and the computer would begin boot up for 4 seconds (actually timed it) before shutting down.  I went through all the proceedures recommended and came up empty handed.  I even went to the lengths of changing the processor, nothing!  I then changed the motherboard and finally the power supply with no results at all.  Luckily I belong to a group that these parts were borrowed and no cost involved unless purchased.

Using all the common sense I could come up with I realized the only electrical component left was the "start button."  You have guessed the rest!!  That was the problem.  Probing into this I discovered that the switch on an ATX differs from the AT in its shut down ability.  The difference being that to shut down an ATX board with the switch requires that you press the switch for 4 SECONDS!

Took a close look at my old switch and found it was jammed in the pressed or "on" position.  It should only make momentary contact.  I might mention that sometimes the unit would go through the attempted 4 second star up simply by unplugging from the wall and plugging back in.

I hope this helps and ends your frustrations.

September 5th, 2003 15:00

Rollie, if you go to this forum: "General Hardware:  Dell Latitude CP Will not power up but lights cycle", you'll see that there are quite a few people having SIMILAR problem. Do you have any contact with DELL TECHNICIANs and maybe can verify if ARC-ing or BAD START SWITCH as being the problem, instead of all the other recommendations you have been making which doesn't seem to solve the problem? Thanks.

4 Posts

September 7th, 2003 00:00

Thank you but I tired what you said about unplugging and plugging  my computer in again. It did not work. I even found a plastic cover over my start button. It just did not work.  I want to talk to a real tech, but I can't get through the phone. I need this computer for work. I am sooooooooo upset. I want to send it back. I have never had so much trouble with a computer or software in my life. I am stupid and can follow directions. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

4 Posts

September 7th, 2003 10:00

I am sorry  Iwas not clear about the plugging in and unplugging of the computer.  I meant that my computer would go through the activity of starting and shutting down by doing this.  What I am trying to tellyou is that my start button was either jammed or shorted and by being in such a condition the switch was causing a natural shut down like it is supposed to in an ATX environment.  If you don't understand this I would suggest you take the machine to a technician rather than talk to one.  To do what I am recommending is not for someone who has no understanding of the mechanics of a computer.  I am not a "real" technician but I have been building and modifying computers for over 20 years.  I am sorry I have been of no help to you.

Melart

4 Posts

September 8th, 2003 00:00

Thank you so much for your help. I bought the computer by phone. Do you mean I have to send the computer back? I can not get through the phone to talk to a tech. The Instruction book that came with it, Doesn't tell you anything. It is the worse set of instructions I have ever seen. I thought Dell was the top of the line of computers. I am having my doubts now. Thanks again for your patience.

306 Posts

September 8th, 2003 16:00

If it is a brand new computer, then ask for it to be exchanged by Dell. But be sure you are just "touching" the power button and not "leaning on it" long enough for it to self power down again!

If it is not so new or has only recently started doing this then follow the other advice on this subject posted on the board (i.e. do a search).

Also, if the battery is old it may pay you to power up on AC with the battery removed - if it boots and stays up then the battery is almost certainly the culprit.

NOTE TO DELL: Having a FAQ on this does sound like a good idea, I'd second that.

3.1K Posts

September 9th, 2003 20:00

Users:

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Verify that this is, indeed, a No Post situation.

1. If the system has video, but is locking up during the BIOS screens, there may be a Drive, Card, or Peripheral causing the problem.
  2. Will the system POST out of the docking station?
  3. Verify whether the system has power.
  4. Make sure the system is not in suspend or CRT mode. Press Fn + F8 and Fn + Esc to exit. Hold the power button down for 8 to 10 seconds to force a shutdown. Or, use a paper clip or similar item to press the reset switch. Wait 10 to 15 seconds and restore power. Look for signs that the system is actually a no POST, or if you have a dead LCD. Look for the hard drive indicator light. Listen for the PCMCIA card recognition tones. Use an external monitor if available.
  5. Remove the battery, hard drive, CD/floppy drive, and any PCMCIA card. Remove any external peripheral components such as printers, palmtop devices, or USB devices. Remove the RAM, this should cause the system to power on and off in a cycle. If not, reinsert the RAM and check the BIOS. Will the system POST?
  6. Install one memory module, and attempt to boot. Install the second module if the system does boot. If the system does not POST, use the same module in the 2nd slot. If the system completes POST, replace the motherboard for a bad RAM slot. If the system does not POST, remove the memory module and place the other module in this slot. If the system completes POST, replace the memory for a bad DIMM. Otherwise, replace motherboard.
  7. Reset the BIOS defaults. Press F2 to go into Setup, Press F9 or hold Alt and F simultaneously to reset Defaults, then F10 or Esc to save and exit.After the system has rebooted, install the hard drive.
  8. Install all devices and peripherals one at a time. (hard drive, floppy drive, CD/DVD, etc)

1 Message

October 20th, 2003 22:00

I have experienced this problem on the latitude laptops and it is the cpu fan heatsink loose, use thermal grease and reatach it.

1 Message

October 25th, 2003 01:00

I thought that I would share my experience with other forum members/viewers...

I have a Dell Latitude CPt S. I leave my laptop connected to AC most of the time and occasionally run it on battery. The laptop is over 3 years old. I bought it on EBay from a private party a couple of years ago. About 6 months ago the run time on battery drastically decreased to about 10 minutes. About a month ago the battery could not hold any charge at all. Then, a couple of weeks ago, with the laptop plugged into AC, I would turn on the laptop and it would start to power up then turn off in a couple of seconds. I would then press the power button again and it would power up normally. Not a big deal, but just a nuisance.

After reviewing this forum as well as others, I tried many things. Along the way, I noticed that if I unplugged the AC and plugged it back in, the battery charge light would go on for 26 seconds then go off. I thought I had a problem with the charging system and my battery was dead because it wasn't getting charged and this was somehow related to having to power up twice. I contacted Dell telephone support and as usual wasn't satisfied with their response. (What happened to their technical support? It was the reason for my past 5 purchases of their desktops and laptops. I think it has to do with outsourcing overseas)

I decided to take a chance and buy a new battery for $120.00. Now, with the new battery, the battery light stays on until the battery is fully charged. Also, I only have to press the power button once. I have now come to believe that my problem was just a dead battery. As of right now the new battery is only 3 hours old. The company that I purchased it from suggests going through 5 charge cycles before true life can be expected. Hopefully, the laptop will eventually fully charge the battery. I'll know for sure in a few days.

October 25th, 2003 21:00

It froze today while I was checking my emails in Outlook Express and opening an Internet Explorer browser to view Yahoo News.  So, I held the power button down until it shut down because the computer was a vegetable.  Then when I tried to start it up again, it would start booting for 8 seconds (I timed it more than once) and then shut down.  Over and over and still to this minute it will not stay on more than 8 seconds and I am beginning to go with the "Power button is broke" theory.  Now how do I get the power button fixed on my Dell Latitude C800?  Please email me and let me know if you find a solution.  My address is date@generalbill.com
No Events found!